AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have tried this before and got little response. I have a sony 34" widescreen with a fairly nice stand. I would like to have a nice entertainment center designed for a 34" widescreen. Anyone have any suggestions for websites or post a pic of yours and tell me where I can get one.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I've always liked what Tweeter stocks, but many of them are to expensive for what they are. It's all good though, because depending on preferred designs, a trip to CC will net you a similar product at half the price. IMO, $1100 for a stand seems pretty rediculous no matter how you spin it. If you're that into slickness and form factor, you shouldn't have a tube in the first place, you should have a Plasma rising out of a chest at the push of a button or hanging on the wall/ceiling.

*Edit* Oh sorry, didn't see that you were interested in an Entertainment Center, I gravitate mostly towards the stands, so I can't give any recommendations there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to your local furniture store and ask to see a "Hooker" catalog. They have many choices with good "blueprints" of their models so you will know exactly how big the interior is. I just got a Sony 30hs510 and put it in a new armoire (@ $1300) from Hooker that looks like a Tardis. Gallifrey, here I come!

Timmer

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Home Entertainment centers were designed for low heat units like Compact Casette recorders *not* your expensive High heat HDTV. If you want to seriously shorten the life of your HDTV you can buy a Home Entertainment Center, after all it's your call. I keep my HDTV as the stand alone it was designed for, and I will enjoy it long after yours is cooked and a replacement is needed!:)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Hob, I bought a $150 TV stand from Best Buy thats perfect. The HDTV goes on top with a swivel base and so its not enclosed on any of the sides or top. It easily could hold even a 50" widescreen plasma if I upgrade from my 34" widescreen direct-view! Below their are shelves for four component storage areas each one over 7" height,18" wide,26" deep plus a storage area in the middle with a hinged door cover - I put a surge protector strip in there plus theres storage room left in there for tapes.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
thumperboy that sounds like you have realized the high heat should not be enclosed I am proud of you. Yours TVwill last a lot longer then those who for sake of keeping up with the Jones's look, puts it in a life shortener Home Entertainment center.:)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Actually HOB, when I got my 34" widescreen HDTV 2 years ago, I trashed my old confining 10year old wood entertainment center since it wouldn't allow for larger than a 27" 4:3 set. I vowed to never again be limited by wood! So I got that TV stand that leaves the top open so I can upgrade to even larger sizes over time!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, Ok, I don't litteraly mean an "entertainment center" like in the 80's or anything. I meant to say a nice wooden stand with cabinet space below. Something longer than the typical stands at best buy, circuit city ect.

Please help!

Brett

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Weight capacity 210 pounds, the F38 wouldn't be on it too long for it weighs in at 216 pounds plus my IN3506 at 4 pounds and a few better cables Silver Serpents. Course you could put wooden pillars for that extra 10 pounds, I'll keep the locking stand since it was made fort he F38 and I got it for free.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you want an entertainment center check out http://www.bakerroad.com

Due to shipping costs, you may want to find a local manufacturer through your local furniture stores. You gotta ask yourself how long do you want it to last. Brands like Bush and the stuff sold at BB and CC is cheap particle board furniture that won't last more than about 5 years. If you get something made out of real wood it should last a lifetime.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Bush model is built to last way more than 5 years, besides you probably would upgrade it by then anyway. Certainly you could afford to upgrade it 10x for the price of those over-expensive ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all-

Just wanted to add... I wanted to get a stand, but my wife wanted an Entertainment Center. This was the ONLY one we could find! This model really looks nice and is open (in the back) if you want it to be. I called Bush furniture directly and they said it has a weight limit of 250lbs. I have the Sony KV34HS510. I'd recommend the Entertainment Center, I have my TV on it with no problems, but the company I bought it from is no longer listing it. A quick internet search of the model number gave me some links though.

Model # is AV15542

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a Sony 34" widescreen and I have this:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...014&catid=1195

It's not an enclosed cabinet, but it's an option for you. It holds six components. Don't let the picture of the plasma TV fool you- this thing is pretty sturdy- it can hold up to 240 pounds (your TV is 201lbs). As someone mentioned before, it allows for airflow around the television. It looks great with the Sony on it too. And if you were to ever upgrade to a 42" or larger Plasma, you wouldn't need to buy another stand.

My only complaint is there's no place to put the center channel except on top of the TV.

So here's a low cost option if you can't find an enclosed cabinet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want to spend a little $, as someone posted above, go to hookerfurniture.com and take a look at the huge array of entertainment centers and armoire's that they sell. I particularly like the fold-over doors for rear projection, but there are a ton for every tv.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.