AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect new generation offerings to be available shortly -- from those who own this one, do you recommend this unit? I have dropped in on parts of the impossibly dense review thread, but still did not uncover how the DVHS/1394 interaction works -- can the unit program a timer recording to DVHS -- or is this something that follows upon recording to disc first?

Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I heartily recommed this unit for OTA-only HD customers. The QAM support is less robust in my experience, though this is largely guide data related and not related to the general functionality of the unit. This may be a local phenomenon to me, Guide+ data is regional. You can only dub with the D-VHS decks, not record directly using timers.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Have any recent software revisions of the unit allowed for playback of a currently recording program?

I have been considering this unit since I get my HD from an antenna, but I would really like to timeshift HD sporting events by about 1 hour (like I do now with my ReplayTV).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
Have any recent software revisions of the unit allowed for playback of a currently recording program?

I have been considering this unit since I get my HD from an antenna, but I would really like to timeshift HD sporting events by about 1 hour (like I do now with my ReplayTV).
You can do this via the "timeshift" button, but it's not a timed recording at that point, you simply start it with the button and end it manually.

Quote:
Originally posted by Emaych
Thanks for the help mrmike -- I assume then that when you dub it is all manual -- feed the 1394 signal to DVHS then start recording?
There's a menu for send/receive for IEEE-1394, it does transport control on the deck to do the dubs, so it's not quite so manual.

-MM

·
Registered
291 Posts
I returned mine to Best Buy yesterday. While it worked fairly well, the DVI output didn't like my Toshiba TV, and the lack of XX second skip/replay made commercial skipping too much of a pain.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Emaych
CKNA:

I've just gotta ask about the 5 that broke -- that seems totally extraordinary -- any theories why you had such a result?
There is a long thread about this unit here. I am not the only one. There are others that had the same problems. All the problems are connected to TV Guide. First unit worked fine for 2 months and then guide was all screwed up. All the other units developed the same problem and worked the most for 2 weeks. It happened with every firmware revision.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
With an example that extremely negative, I think it's right to mention a GOOD experience. I've had ONE unit (with SW v1.12) and use it weekly. Yes, I've had to "dump" the guide and reboot a couple of times, but I don't consider that unacceptable in over six months of regular use. After all, how many HD PVR's are out there (and there's no telling what problems the new Sony's will have--if they're anything like my old HD-100)?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I am aware of the thread -- I'm just looking for the quick overview and a very brief answer will suffice here. Just want to know why the guide is essential -- is timer programming based on it? If so, I would call that a dealbreaker, since that is why I am considering this unit -- if it is only just a reference tool to show what is on, then I guess the question becomes how it influences operation outside this purpose. My 165 never shows much program info since stations are not including it, so no big for my application...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I find the Guide totally worthless. I never access it. You can disable it so that it will not appear unless you want it to. Pressing the VCR+ button brings up a screen that offers manual programming by on/off time and channel #.

The FF function offers 2X, 5X, 20X, 50X, 100X. The Drag+ button is also helpful for skipping commercials. Each press jumps forward about 2 minutes. If you overshoot, it's easy to back up a little at 5X or so.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you UncD2000 -- very succinct and helpful. I am assuming then that the guide offers one approach to programming but has proved problematic, but that the default, which sounds pretty close to what I am familiar with, works fine.

Seems like a reasonable enough deal. Refurbs are being offered up -- I'm guessing they have the latest firmware, it seems like if that did not provide an answer to the malfunction, that the vendor is taking on a fairly large risk of returns. In any case, for the other thread to have gotten so long, I assume the box sold pretty well, so I thought it must have some functionality.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I've had guide problems, but never had a problem with manual timer recordings. The timeshift function also works flawlessly with the latest firmware.

My LG is invaluable (I get HD OTA and via QAM).

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
You may want to PM MrHifi. He has had multiple units and returns along the same lines as CKNA. He recently came back to LG and purchased another unit and I believe he is happy. You may want to follow his posts in the 3410a review thread for a full history.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I also have found the 3410A invaluable. It does have quirks, but I use the guide with very few problems. I've successful recorded every Monday Night football game this season using the guide, and have had similar success with weekly shows like Boston Legal, and daily syndicated shows. One quirk is that the Guide does get messed up occasionally and you need to check to make sure that important things are marked for recording.

The problem I've had have all been solved by a complete 'reset'. I have one of the original boxes with firmware 1.12 and have felt no need to upgrade. Perhaps I will send it in for a firmware upgrade after the Super Bowl, but probably not.

I enthusiastically recommend it for timeshifting OTA HDTV. The Red Sox looked wonderful this morning - it is so nice to be able to watch programs on my time table instead of theirs.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Another thumbs up for the 3410a from me.

I had an SIR-T165 that was no end of trouble, and got a 3410a and have been thrilled ever since.

Admittedly, I only use the guide to step through to setting up manual recordings, so I can't say if there are issues with its content, but I've recorded Gilmore Girls, CSI: and ER in HD every week this season without any issues whatsoever. The unit also functioned flawlessly during the Olympics, though I now wish I had saved a Sony commercial. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
And 2 thumbs up from me using 1.15.

I'm doing my version of timeshifting ( record today and watch tomorrow) using the guide almost exclusively. I don't however record "weekly" or "regularly".

Last sat I programmed for sunday night: Cold Case, Desparate Housewives, and Boston Legal; monday evening: CSI Miami; tuesday evening: NCIS, NYPD Blue; wednesday evening: 2 Westwings and I think CSI NY; thursday: Joey, CSI, and Without a Trace; and tonight: Joan, 3rd Watch, and Med Invest. That's 15 different programs. All have recorded perfectly so far. The only problem is having to watch early and fast before recording begins again.

I can hardly wait for the sony to get here to pick up all the other stuff that for now has to go on the replay.

FYI on the drag button: the length of the program determines how much time is skipped per click of the button. 1/2 hour program= 1 min, 1 hour=2 min, 1 1/2 hour= 3 min, 2 hour= 4 min. I have no experience past 2 hours. It probably keeps going up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.