AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure something out -- what adjustments does the Sony direct-view 34" XBR2 make in "Movie" mode other than what is adjustable by the user? I have adjusted all the video settings in Movie mode to match "Standard" mode, but the picture still looks very different in the two modes - the Movie mode seems to have a might lighter black-level and less overall contrast.

I'm just wonder a) is this normal and b) what sort of adjustments are going on here that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is normal. Movie mode is Sony's cleanest, most wideband signal path; it usually lessens or defeats such "features" as Dynamic Picture and scan velocity modulation, and usually improves black level retention (DC restoration) and does the better job with Enhanced (0 IRE - referenced) Black level formats such as HDTV, some DVD players, and ...... yep, Japanese broadcast TV!

Once calibrated, this mode will give the most accurate and detailed picture, the most filmlike and the least "videolike", assuming the room lighting is tightly controlled since as you notice less light is produced. Frequently, Movie mode can be still further improved with additional tweaks in the service mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.