AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums after many many informative visits.

I am starting to get closer to having the coin saved to purchase a new television and i have a few questions and i'm looking for some suggestions.

My original plan was to get the 34xbr800, especially now that its only $3400 in Canada (where i live). By frequenting this forum, i've learned of a new 34xbr910 model, but i'm not sure when its gonna be released or the price. if anyone could provide me with some info or a link with with regards to this, thank you.

I also recently was talking to a Sony store employee who introduced me to the Grand VVega and mentioned that a 43" version will be coming out "soon", for a price around $5000. That being said, should i put a purchase on hold from the 800 and wait for the 910? Or should i scrap the idea of getting this tv all together and start saving for the Grand VVega, which is gonna be about $2000 more expensive?

Size isnt too important, but i do want a large tv. i want to own one heck of a television :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
There's alot of folks, including myself, that are anxious to checkout the new 34XBR910 Super Fine Pitch due out in July 2003.

You really have so many choices out there, and I advise making alot of trips to the store to look at all the models and read all you can. You mentioned two completely different types of TV's. One being a widescreen direct view tube, and the other being a Rear Projection TV (RPTV).

You need to determine your own needs and criteria to narrow the field a bit. It's hard go wrong w/Sony, but there are others. My sister recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS-55711 55" HD RPTV (w/HD Tuner built in) and raves about it. This Mit was also awarded RPTV Of The Year by Perfect Vision mag. If a larger 16:9 Screen is what fits your criteria, then you might want to look into the Diamond Series Mits RPTV's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who's responded. i appreciate all the help and the links especially. It's pushing me towards the 910.

i was under the impression that the grand vega was a 'new' technology, and compared to a picturetube televison, and not a rpt. it has an optical lens or something, i'm not too sure. it was thrown into the mix when i visited a local Sony Store, and the guy said a 43" was coming out and was as good as the 34xbr. Size isn't totally improtant, but hearing about the 43" was exciting. for some strange reason, my brain considers 34" small :)

if it does qualify as a projection then i probably won't bother at all. My main reasons for the tv is (besides having a great television) dvds and videogames. And if the grand wega is a projection, i shall probably avoid it because i'm paranoid about burn-in.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yeah Husker, that is definitely the best reason I've read on the reason to wait for the 910's. Hope Sony fullfills the expectations on this tube!

biznis2k3, RPTV's have jumped leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. Before you totally rule them out, you should go to the RPTV Category of this Forum and read up a bit. Quite a big HT bang for the buck IMO. No I don't own one, but rather a 40XBR.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
biznis2k3 ---

you might want to consider a used CRT front PJ. You can get some great deals for less than $1,000, and end up with a 6' to 7' foot wide (not diagonal) picture. There are some good dealers in Canada as well.

Check out the CRT forum here at AVS forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.