AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to get this set and found Express audiovideo.com to have the best price. 1848 + 184.36 SH to San Francisco. I would like to know if anyone had tried them and how you would rate them? I still save maybe about 150 to 200 compared to CC last weekends sale price of 1999.99. This price at CC is not there anymore but probably next sale will be out again. Anyways, I passed it up cause I was planning to get it from this website. So any input would help. Thank you.

Ifor

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
That's a lot of shipping considering the port of San Fracisco is where it came the the U.S. If I were you I would look for company operating out of San Francisco, since saving your money seems to more important than anything else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it would have been much easier to deal with CC-local if the set that I get has some problems. I almost bought it but somehow hold off again and was thinking of the little savings that I could get on the other place could go to some other use--maybe calibration. None is lost for I have not made any deals yet. Patiently balancing what I like and what is available. I was actually waiting for the new sampo 34"er but it seems like they are far from getting it here. Had that old set and I liked it except for some very annoying problems--luckily was able to return it with a full refund via dyna direct and sampo corp.--but thats another story. Right now sony 34-xbr800 is the top choice. With the prices of these tvs we should not expect things to be perfect, there is always something that will get ones attention. I heard perfect tvs/monitors professional ones cost 10 to 20 times these sets or maybe more.

If I'm not mistaken I think that CC price is the best one in the bay area--not just San Francisco.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would strongly urge you to buy it locally, especially big ticket/heavy items like this. They'll be there when you actually need support and service. That said, most sales people are willing to negotiate prices, especially on big ticket items. I just bought a receiver from Good Guys with a 20% off just by talking with the salesman. It doesn't help to give it a try.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iforsevilla
I am ready to get this set and found Express audiovideo.com to have the best price. 1848 + 184.36 SH to San Francisco. I would like to know if anyone had tried them and how you would rate them? I still save maybe about 150 to 200 compared to CC last weekends sale price of 1999.99. This price at CC is not there anymore but probably next sale will be out again. Anyways, I passed it up cause I was planning to get it from this website. So any input would help. Thank you.

Ifor
This is beyond my compreshension.

I am holding back ....from making strong opinionated comment.

1848+184 = more than CC sale price of $1999

Pay the tax, don't be redicuously cheap.. and buy it local.

If you don't, hopefully you'll get what you deserve

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought that set from express audio/video. No problem whatsoever. I don't know how much customer service you get from the circuit city type stores anyway. Plus this set is supposed to come with a 2 year in home warranty.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Who provides the 2 year in home warranty if you buy from an E-tailer? The local AV store that had a higher price to start with, or the CC 50 (or 35 or 18) miles away?

Is it all the same in the end?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally someone who had first hand experience dealing with express audio/video. Thanks for your reply beaudot. So you did get the 34xbr800 from them. How is the tv performing? Have you seen any of the minor problems posted regarding this set? Or does it seem to be running flawlessly? By the way, are you in CA? I was wondering, cause half the time problems arrise when the trucking company don't handle the tv carefully. If you can tell me a little more of your experience with them I'd appreciate it.

Its always a headache when you get a defective unit no matter where you get it. So I am just hoping that I get a good set this time around. How about you guys? Was your 34 xbr800 a one shot delivery deal with no display problems that needs to be exchanged or serviced? How are you experiences regardless where you got it? This way I might have a little clue as to how sony quality make this tv. If most have no real problems then I have a good chance of getting a good set as well. If not, then maybe a local store would be a better choice. Or maybe another tv???

·
Registered
46 Posts
The price you are getting from that on-line store is great, but like Mfusick said, don't be cheap, if you have to, spend the extra 100-200 bucks and buy it locally. Then, if you have problems with it, you can ***** to your local sales guy, face to face. CC, Best Buy etc, do not negotiate on their prices, at least not here in NJ/NY. That said, there are plenty of authorized brick and mortar dealers that you can haggle with. We have many of them here in NJ/NY like PC Richard and 6th Ave electronics. Don't low ball them. If they know you are serious about buying the set, they will drop the price. I got mine in a local PC Richard store for $2,000 even. That was, at the time, the best price I could get, even over the Internet so I was thrilled with it.

Good luck.

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
290 Posts
If there is something major wrong with your TV, the online retailer won't take it back. All they'll tell you to do is call the manufacturer and they will send somenoe out to look at it.

If you buy it from a local store, and get a lemon, they will probably let you exchange it for a brand new set.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dfedders
If there is something major wrong with your TV, the online retailer won't take it back. All they'll tell you to do is call the manufacturer and they will send somenoe out to look at it.

If you buy it from a local store, and get a lemon, they will probably let you exchange it for a brand new set.
Also,

XBR requires an "XBR authorized" serviceman.....

They are few and far in between.

In western MA where I live there is only one shop that has a guy who is, and all he does is XBR's 5 days a week. There is anywhere from 2-8 week wait for him to come to your house.

CC services everything they sell....so you can call them if you have a problem.

In the event CC can't fix it, they are always quick to swap it out for another or store credit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.