AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked up TWC hd box and noticed that all other channels except hd channels are locked in Full Mode. My remote has no effect on resizing the non hd channels. I searched the threads with no luck on this subject. Any help would be appreciated.

When I had the TWC digital box I did not have this problem.

Thanks

joe

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Which cable box do you have? If it is the Motorola DCT-5100 there is a wealth of information available here . Try re-posting in the HDTV Hardware section of the forum.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm going to make some assumptions here about both your box & TV, but these assumptions are more the rule than the exception.

The output of your STB through the component outputs is probably 1080i. When that's the case, most HDTV's lock into the full mode.

Most STB's have settings that allow you to choose whether you want the picture stretched, zoomed or windowboxed when viewing 4:3 non-HD material. If TWC gave you a manual, look there. Otherwise, start looking through the STB menus to find the option that allows you to adjust the output format of 4:3 material.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HD box is a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 3100HD

I called TWC and they said its the TV that is locking the other channels in full mode and that I should use the S video output to look at SD channels???

I guess I should post elsewhere...Thanks for the help

joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are correct. The SD channels on S-Video will allow you to use the functions on the TV. I had the same situation with my 3100hd box, and 34xbr800.

·
Registered
91 Posts
By the way, I'd suggest using Vid 6 for the HD component, and Vid 1 for the S-video. That way, when you want to switch from HD to SD (so you can see Zoom, etc.), you'll have to hit the TV/Video button on the remote only once.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the help. Yes, I am new to all of this. This forum has to be the best I have ever seen.

One last question, will the side bars cause any problem with the set if I continue to use the HD input for all channels?

Thanks again

Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joeorp
One last question, will the side bars cause any problem with the set if I continue to use the HD input for all channels?
Then general concensus for Direct-View sets like the 34XBR800 is that if you have the Picture/Brightness level set properly (generally below the 50% level), burn-in becomes an insignificant issue. YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.