AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have prices gone up on the sony 34xbr800? i thought i saw them for about $1499 a few weeks back, now they're $2,400.

am i going nuts?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They've never been available for $1499. Their MSRP is about 25 hundred, and many people have gotten them for as little as 18-20. But even the retailers can't get them from the manufacturer for much below 17.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You probably mixed up the $1499 price - that was the sale price for the older 38" RCA HDTV, not the Sony 34". The regular retail price for the Sony 34XBR800 has always been $2500, there have been some internet dealers at just under $2000 but you have to add a big shipping charge.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You are probably thinking of the 34" 4x3 set. I believe that Best Buy is selling that set for $1499. It is not the 34xbr800 though - that set is 16x9.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The KV-34XBR800 was never $1,499, at least not from an authorized dealer. Sony's MSRP is $2,499 but if you can make a deal with a B&M store you can probably get it for a little more than 2.

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
how many people does it take to tell a guy that he is wrong/mistaken, aka "going nuts"? :)
Apparently, at least 4: 1 to hold the lightbulb, and three to ... oh, sorry, different joke. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i got it. if i could lock this thread i would lock this thread i would. of course, i'm nutz so ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe that I got one of the best prices so far from an authorized retailer. My local CC had it on sale for $1899 and I got my salesman to throw in a free $100 gift certificate. The total cost for the set was $1789 + tax which came out to $1937. With the gift certificate (no tax), the receipt was $2037. I posted this in another thread at the time and I think several people from different parts of the country called my local CC and tried to get a price match. I know this because I went back to CC and the salesman approached me and said that I caused some problems, because a lot of people were calling trying to get the same price. I think there was some corporate discussion about their price match policy between stores. They immediately raised the price back to $2499, and just a few days ago, marked it back down to $2299.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I got a telephone price of $2,100 today, and an in-person quote of $2,499 yesterday. (Both quotes from CC.)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raoul
well, i got it. if i could lock this thread i would lock this thread i would. of course, i'm nutz so ...
raoul, just to be clear, my joke was about the repeated responses, not about your question. And we're all a little nutz :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas F
I posted this in another thread at the time and I think several people from different parts of the country called my local CC and tried to get a price match. I know this because I went back to CC and the salesman approached me and said that I caused some problems, because a lot of people were calling trying to get the same price.
Yes, I was one of the people that went to their local CC and had them call your Houston, TX store. It was the day after you made your post to the forum. They were willing to call & match, but a little baffled at the price. I got it for $1899 + tax.

Thanks for sharing the info, Thomas!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
After making some calls, I got the XBR800 for $2000 + $160 shipping from a place called Sound Seller. But unfortunately, mine was damaged in shipping so I'm in the process of filing a claim. :mad:

I'm actually two for two - I ordered a KV34XBR2 directly from Sony in CA - that one arrived damaged (tube was shot) in March. Then ordered the 34XBR800 from this guy and IT arrived damaged in November (tube also damaged).

I'm starting to think that buying locally might be a good idea, even with the hideous 8.25% tax...

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
531 Posts
hey chris got mine a shopsunshine.com. its in the city goto there web site shipping is not that back since your so close. i think last time i check 1859 or something close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DJ_V,

I live in Minneapolis too and am wanting to buy a 34XBR800 in the next couple of days. How did you manage to convince the CC in Minneapolis to give it to you for that price? Which Circuit City did you go to? Any chance that I could get the same price considering it's a week later? I just called and they said that they can't honor past sale prices, so I don't get it....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SSYW
DJ_V,

I live in Minneapolis too and am wanting to buy a 34XBR800 in the next couple of days. How did you manage to convince the CC in Minneapolis to give it to you for that price?
I got that price over a month ago, in early November when that Houston store had it on sale. I provided the phone # of the Houston store, they called and verified the $1899 sale price. I went to the Roseville store, but if they don't have it on sale now they probably can't match it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all...

I've been seeing quite alot of open box 34XBR800 at CC priced at $1799 which I think is a great deal. I managed to pick up one of those babies for $1599 since I knew the dept. mgr. at CC. They are ALOT more flexible with their prices if it's a "open box". I decide not to go with the Extended Warranty since that was $300 (3 Yr.) and they couldnt give me a better price.

That TV comes with a 2 year parts and labor warranty anyways.

Also I saw a 40" XBR at CC for $1299 which was soo tempting, but had some cosmetic damages, but you couldnt beat that fo the price.

By the way, that TV is awesome..love the picture quality, plus it's a different world when playing the Xbox on it.

Laters.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That is a great price. Even if the set was turned on 24-7, that is not many hours, since these TVs are so new.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boylan13
After making some calls, I got the XBR800 for $2000 + $160 shipping from a place called Sound Seller. But unfortunately, mine was damaged in shipping so I'm in the process of filing a claim. :mad:

Chris, any resolution to this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.