Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm very new and admittedly STUPID with audio/video equipment...I just replaced my 1994 college 13'' Mitsubishi TV with the 34xbr800...WOW! I have searched the FAQ, but my confusion is very very basic. I have the Sony HD200 STB, Oval dish Direct TV, no OTA antenna, and Bose 321 (yea yea sorry this was a wedding gift...probably take it back to CC and get something else). There seem to be several ways to connect all of this to the XBR, and I'm confused as where to begin. The Sony manual doesn't really help. Can the Bose be connected through the STB and how...what is the recommended connection between the STB and the XBR? Do you connect with component cables(or DVI) AND an RF connection...and how does this work...what are the component cables (or DVI) transmitting?

Should I connect the component cables to the 480i, or the 1080? I'm just looking for someone to give me basic setup instructions, and THANKS VERY much! This group is amazing...

Shawn

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
.Go into back of STB with your satellite cable..'sat in'..If you had OTA programming that cable would go into 'ant in' on back of STB. They would be combined seamlessly inside the box. You have 2 things to contend with..audio and video. First, just use the speakers in the Sony (actually, they are quite good). Get use to your equipment. You will have to buy a receiver of some sort from which to drive your external speakers. You would bring your audio out of your STB and into your receiver. This can be done in several ways. There is good info in the manuals that came with equipment. Read it carefully. Just remember..always..2 things to consider..audio and video and they are kept separate throughtout your system once inside your Set Top Box. You have fine equipment but do get an antenna and get some OTA HD programming..if you have digital stations within 50 miles and relatively good 'line of sight' between your home and the transmitters. Contact your local stations on this and get information from them as to location fo towers, etc. And Happy viewing. The Sony 34XBR800 one of the best displays these days. I have one!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
By the way, I am using component cables because my STB will not support DVI. I forgot, did you get a pair of component cables with your Sony XBR? If so, just use them for time being until you get a good feel for everything. This cable will carry the video. You can use various cables to carry the audio. Again, check out the manuals. The component cables will be 3 colors..just match those colors on your Sony STB and on back of Sony monitor. You will need no RF connections. You can think about DVI connections down the road..there is time for that. Again, follow slowly drawings in your manuals. Everything will fall into place. And, as I have said, for awhile the audio from the Sony will be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have component cables, but when hooked up to the STB and XBR there was no picture until I added an RF cable? Did you use the AVIA or V.E. to adjust the servcie mode settings...was it worth the $. Thanks tremendously for your help!

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
All I can say is all you need are component cables to carry the video signal between STB and Sony TV. That will give you better quality than RF cable or RCA type connections. DVI should be as good as component; perhaps a little better. I have not used them. Just get your set up going first; do not worry to much about adjusting anything. For a few days, just keep your color, contrast, etc. controls on dead center and in 'standard' mode. I did used the AVIA CD but, in truth, done most of my adjusting . As you can hear, the sound system is very good on the Sony..for a tv, that is.

'by my eye'. Just go to several very clean signals and get everything looking good to you. I could have done without the AVIA CD by the way..trusting my own eye to get things correct for me. Get the reds, the blacks, whites, and skin color looking pleasing and as true as you can. Use HDNET to do most of your adjustments. Live sports are good to judge correct settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks magic123! There are two component video connections on the back of the XBR...I think a 480 something? and the 1080i...do I need to connect cables to both of these to get a signal or just the one 1080? Also do you have to complete a channel search if your only using a STB? Thanks again for answering all these basic questions, and if there is a better place for me to search for the info...just let me know.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
shapad..

My frtiend, go to search on this forum..and type in a word or 2..lots of info on this forum for sure. ! component input on Sony tv is for HD and 1 is for DVD player. Just plug your component from your STB into a component 'in' on your tv. Look in manuel; it explains in very well. Use your control to make the connection between your tv and STB or between your TV and DVD player..or between your tv and cable if you have it. Just switch thru remote and you will activate different things..STB, DVD, etc.

As I said, do a search on this forum and read your instruction booklet from cover to cover. It covers everything you need to know. And, hey, let me know in future when you get everything working well. You must get over the air reception if you are close by..up to 50 miles..HD on a local station (from the network) will blow you away. The OTA cable can be put directly in back of set top box..'antenna in'..It will be combined seamlessly with Directv and controlled from the remote. Happy Viewing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
shapad..

My frtiend, go to search on this forum..and type in a word or 2..lots of info on this forum for sure. ! component input on Sony tv is for HD and 1 is for DVD player. Just plug your component from your STB into a component 'in' on your tv. Look in manuel; it explains in very well. Use your control to make the connection between your tv and STB or between your TV and DVD player..or between your tv and cable if you have it. Just switch thru remote and you will activate different things..STB, DVD, etc.

As I said, do a search on this forum and read your instruction booklet from cover to cover. It covers everything you need to know. And, hey, let me know in future when you get everything working well. You must get over the air reception if you are close by..up to 50 miles..HD on a local station (from the network) will blow you away. The OTA cable can be put directly in back of set top box..'antenna in'..It will be combined seamlessly with Directv and controlled from the remote. Happy Viewing. If your STB is like mine (Mit HD400) you can do a search for the satellite channels you are paying for..or you can add them manually..subtracting any you do not want to receive...You may also have a favortite section on your remote where you can program 9 or so favorite channels/stations and bring them up very quickly.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
"I have component cables, but when hooked up to the STB and XBR there was no picture until I added an RF cable?"

If you're only getting a picture through the RF connection, and you have component video cables connected from your STB, it's probably because you didn't switch to or activate the proper inputs on the XBR's menu. You can even label the different video modes by name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOps...I didn't have the input switched to "video 5" for the component cables. All is well now that I've switched the inputs, and the picture is awesome. HD programming is truly amazing on this set. Wow! Thanks everyone for your help! Is there consensus concerning the basic settings on this set not using the service menu...color temperature, etc. (but the AVIA disk is on it's way) What is velocity modulation, and is it a good/bad thing? THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
"What is velocity modulation, and is it a good/bad thing? THANKS AGAIN!"

I'm sure someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can see, velocity modulation sharpens edges -- the shape of someone's head, or distinguishing a man's coat lapel from a the rest of his suit. Some people don't like the side effects, though. I just leave mine set to Low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.