AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inputs 5 and 7 are totally without the color Blue. In twin-view, the right hand picture looked terrible (same source-both sides). Two different devices exhibit the same results. Sony sent out a hand picked tech to my house to troubleshoot. With Sony's consultation, it was decided that a rather large (vertically mounted) circuit board needed to be replaced. This circuit board apparently controls all color function as well as other things. This new circuit board was ordered and received by tech, installed and NO GO. Didn't fix problem. Tech has no idea now what to do. Said he will call Sony Monday.

What do you guys think Sony will do at this point? Replace TV? If so, will they try and stick me with a refurbished unit?

Any speculation?

Newton

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newt

What do you guys think Sony will do at this point? Replace TV? If so, will they try and stick me with a refurbished unit?
Seems like a refurb would be OK so long as you get the full warranty on it. If they fix yours, it will be "refurbished" too.

I have no idea what they will do; no experience with Sony service -- and I hope to keep it that way (my KV-34XBR800 is find so far after two months).

Phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess you purchased your set online. If it was local you can just ask for a new one after a couple of tries by the tech. from the retailer. I would think that you can demand sony of a new set since you have been patient enought to have the problem fixed and still no improvements. Simply a bad unit, sounds like it. Good luck! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by iforsevilla
I guess you purchased your set online. If it was local you can just ask for a new one after a couple of tries by the tech. from the retailer. Simply a bad unit, sounds like it. Good luck! Keep us updated.
I bought from Circuit City but did not buy the extended warranty as Sony's was for 2 years.

Newton

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Will CC replace the TV?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Pocatello
Will CC replace the TV?
Havn't asked them yet, want to see what Sony will do first. Just got a call from service people and Sony wants to try another circuit board (different from first one tried). You would think Sony would know what circuit board does what instead of replacing one at a time until they get a fix.

Newton

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:
You would think Sony would know what circuit board does what instead of replacing one at a time until they get a fix.
That is what I used to do when I repaired computers. I was a field service engineer. Of course, I should tell you, I didn't really know what I was doing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hi pocatello.... as a service engineer would you be able to help me with what some of the various paramters do in the 34xbr800 service menu? particularly the color decoder items?

ed

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:

question for pocatello

hi pocatello.... as a service engineer would you be able to help me with what some of the various parameters do in the 34xbr800 service menu? particularly the color decoder items?
No, sorry... I have no idea. I was not joking when I said:

Quote:
I didn't really know what I was doing.
That is why I changed professions. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All fixed! Problem corrected. Tech's came out with a different circuit board than the first time they tried. This circuit board plugs in vertically to the main board and has a smaller board piggy backed on the face. Refered to as a "B" board.

Colors are now correct on both sides of the twin view and video 5 and 7 look fine.

Does anyone know if you can buy a Sony extended warranty after you have had warranty work done on the TV? I thought you could buy one up to a year after purchase.

Newton

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
If you bought with a gold or platinum credit card, you get your warranty, which in this case includes 2 years of in-home service, to 3 years. If it breaks after that...

Well someone claimed that electronics, and especially TVs, if they're going to break because of manufacturing defects, would happen early in the life of the TV.

But I believe CC also lets you buy the extended warranty within 30 days of purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.