Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was going to go with a 32" plasma but found that the picture quality isn't so good when not watching programs in HD (I'm just having a regular rooftop antenna). TV will mainly be used for regular broadcast channels and DVD movies.

So, my living room in only 11 feet wide. Viewing distance from my sofa to wall is about 9 feet. With the depth of the TV being about 2 feet, it will be only about 7 feet. Is the 34" going to be too big for my living room?

Thanks in advance!

Cathy

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMO, the 34" screen size will not be too big, but the bulkiness of the TV cabinet may look too...well...bulky. I have an 34XBR910 in a 15 foot wide room. The 34" screen seems a little undersized, but the TV cabinet seems oversized. It intrudes into the room more than I would like. If you go flat screen I would even consider going up to 37". Before I got my new set I thought 34" was big, now I think it's a little small.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SteveFoy!

How about 42WE610? It's only like 14.5 deep. I heard I can just get a terrestial indoor HD antenna to pick up the broadcast HD signals, correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look in the Rear Projection forum for a TON of information (both good and bad) about the Sony 42WE610 (often referred to as the GWIII). It's possible the Sony 42" may overpower your room. I'd get opinions from several people on that one. To receive HD-broadcast you need to get an HD-Ready TV (one with a build-in HD Tuner). The 42WE610 is NOT HD-Ready. Most HD TV's are still not HD-Ready but this is starting to change. My XBR910 is also not HD-Ready (I use Comcast cable) so I have no experience receiving HD-TV using an antenna.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFoy
To receive HD-broadcast you need to get an HD-Ready TV (one with a build-in HD Tuner). The 42WE610 is NOT HD-Ready. Most HD TV's are still not HD-Ready but this is starting to change. My XBR910 is also not HD-Ready (I use Comcast cable) so I have no experience receiving HD-TV using an antenna.
This is incorrect information. To view HD Broadcast you need a HD source on a HD capable display. The tuner is the external STB such as the Sony HD-200 or HD-Tivo. Your XBR910 IS HD Ready! A set WITHOUT a built-in HD tuner is HD Ready, as long as it can display 720p or 1080i. A set WITH a built-in tuner (most with just OTA) is referred to as an Integrated HDTV, or similar. :) Since I would still need my Directv STB to get satellite, the fact that my set doesn't have a built-in tuner is inconsequential.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Your viewing distance seems just right for the 910, and it's a beautiful TV that will provide the best PQ well into the next decade. As noted, this is an HDTV-ready TV. You will need an HD Tuner, but this is easy if you're already using cable. Usually, it's a minimal expense to upgrade your cable subscription to HD, and they will provide you w/the proper tuner box & remote.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for this info!

I don't plan on getting cable so the "terrestial indoor antenna" will allow me to obtain an HD signal from my rooftop antenna? I will be living in a townhouse condo complex.

Just making sure, a 42" would be too big for 6-8 feet viewing distance?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
smile16,

Yes, you will be able to display local HDTV Channels via rooftop antenna, BUT you will have to buy an HDTV TUNER. The HDTV-ready Tube TV's are capable of displaying a 1080i HD video signal, but require an additional HD TUNER to receive this 1080i video signal.

Sony mfg. a 34" Tube a few years ago (34XBR2) that included an inboard HD Tuner, but that was 3 years ago & discontinued it. Most all Tubes, Rear Projection, Plasma, LCD's do NOT include the HD Tuner at this time. One exception & example is the Diamond Series Mitsubishi RPTV's. Plan to buy a HD Tuner if you do not want to hook up to Cable or Direct TV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You should consider the HS510 instead of the XBR910. You won't be able to perceive the increased resolution of the 910 at distances greater that 6ft. You will be able to get a brighter picture from the Sony510.

The XBR910 is a special animal. To get all the resolution out of the picture you need to turn the picture setting down to around 30%. This is fine for a light controlled home theater, but not for a normal living room. Now to see all this glorious detail, you will need to sit only about 5ft in front of the screen. If you sit any further out, you will miss all that glorious detail. The XBR910 should have a tag on it saying for videophiles only.

Java Junky

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
smile16,

Yeah, the topic is in the Home Theater Computer section of the AVS Forum. Sorry, I know very little about HD Tuners, other than the one that was supplied to me by BrightHouse Cable. IMHO, you'll get the most out of the new HDTV's by subscribing to either digital cable or Direct TV. Is there a reason why you do not wish to subscribe to these providers?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
javajunky,

These are my thoughts as well. Why buy the highest resolution Tube mfg. only to loose detail when you view the TV from over 6', and if you're sitting much further you need a larger screen size than 34".

smile16, are you specifically wanting a 16:9 widescreen Tube, or are you open for more alternatives?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
A 42" plasma would be great for 7-8 feet viewing distance. I'd recommend the new model LG Electronics OTA HD STBs, they have the latest generation technology for sensitive tuner and even support unencryypted QAM for cable as well as 8VSB for OTA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your postings! Really appreciate it.

Since I'm mostly a broadcast channel watcher (NBC, CBS, WB, ABC), I feel I don't need to spend the added expense for cable if I don't watch it. If I do, I can get it at work.

I'm looking to get 16:9 widescreen tv. I'm definitely open to any TV that fits a viewing distance of 6-8 feet. My main use of this TV would be regular TV programs during the week and DVD movies on the weekends. I thought of Plasma because of space issues in my living room. My preference is Sony. But then I saw a friend's 42" Plasma (Sony) and wasn't impressed with the SD quality...but the Lion King and Finding Nemo on DVD were awesome. Then I thought I'd get the Sony KF42WE610 (but am afraid it's too big for my living room) or the Sony 34XBR910 CRT (afraid the depth would be too much for my small living room)...so maybe the Sony 32" plasma? Also, the living room gets some light (through patio door but I have curtains).

Sorry for the back and forth. Please help.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
smile16,

You are definitely in the sweet spot for viewing distances on the Sony 910, and it's an excellent Tube. All Plasmas are not created equal, and I would take some time and look at the Panny 42" 6UY, on sale now for around $2800. This Plasma has 1:4000 contrast ratio for super black levels, and handles SD extremely well. Take a good look around the Flat Panel Forum, and read from all the well satisfied owners, most of which were once devoted Tube owners. It'll make you want to run out & buy one NOW!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smile16
Thanks cajieboy!

So the 42" Plasma will not be too big for the living room? 6-8 feet viewing distance...Just asking again. Thanks.
If you think the 42" will be too big, consider the 37" TH-37PWD6UY.

It's a smaller version of the 42PWD6UY.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.