AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a 34XBR910, and in anticipation of it arriving, we are rearranging our living room furniture. In doing so, I have realized that the best we can do is to set up our primary viewing position about 10ft away from the TV. Is that too far to realize the benefits of the 910. The dealer where I ordered the set has recently rearranged things and the 910 is now in such a poor location that I can't tell anything by going there. If ten feet is too small for a 34" set, what are my best options (a CRT RPTV is not an option) -- plasma (not worth the money), LCD RPTV (poor black levels and still have screen door), DLP RPTV (rainbows and poor greens)? I am open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 34XBR800. My viewing position is about 10' away. I find it to be just about the right distance. You can take in the entire picture without having to focuns on different parts of the screen and you are not too far that the HD detail is lost. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After living with my 34XBR910 for 4 weeks now I have come to the conclusion it is too small and now have a bit of buyer's remorse. It many ways the 34" widescreen is actually smaller than a 32" conventional TV. The widescreen format gives you a wider field of view, but a person's head or face on the screen is actually sized smaller than it would be on a 32" conventional screen. My room is 15 feet wide so my viewing distance is about 11 feet. Just a few weeks ago I thought a 42" screen was overkill, but my notions have changed. Would I be happier with a bigger low-res plasma or a rear projection set with its quirks? Maybe, maybe not. I now realize a high resolution 42" plasma would be ideal, but no way I am spending $8,000+ for a TV. So now I'm thinking my 34" TV is just a

"temporary" solution until the price/performance ratio of the bigger screens improves.

·
Registered
631 Posts
SteveFoy - What about the 40XBR800? Although I hear some grumbling about the upconversion to 1080i causing some display artifacts by all accounts it's a very pretty set and it would give you a 37" or so 16:9 equivalent view.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mrmike - Too late now, but the 40XBR800 might have been a better choice for me. I guess I got sold on the higher resolution of the XBR910. Also, I decided early on to go widescreen. I do think widescreen is the way to go. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to the new shape. It doesn't even seem wide any more. A large conventional shaped TV seems weird to me now. The other issue is the depth and weight of these TV's. When I looked at the 40XBR800 from the side, the size of its cabinet almost seemed ridiculous. Even my smaller 34XBR910 dominates the room. I need to hide its bulk by surrounding it with some type of wall unit. I found some great looking stuff at www.salamanderdesigns.com but it seems way overpriced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ThumperBoy, you're probably right. A few weeks ago I would have scoffed at the idea of buying a 50" TV screen. I probably would have bought a 36XBR910 if Sony offered one, but I still thought 34" was big enough. I was wrong. My revised thinking is 42" is a good size, but I guess what I'm really saying is 42" would be my new minimum size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only problem with going to a 42" is the price/performance ratio. One of the main reasons I was bought the 910 is that it offers excellent performance at its price point, and sells at a price point that I can easily justify upgrading in three years or so. If I go the plasma route, I will have to pay at least $5,000 now to get decent PQ, and it will be tougher to justify replacing as plasma technology improves. RP LCDs and DLPs offer good prices, but I have been less than impressed with performance up to now, including the Samsung DLPs and the Sony GWIII. I actually really liked the picture of the GW three but the black level would drive me crazy. Maybe I'm stuck with the 910 for a few years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Therein lies the dilemma! There is no perfect TV- whether it be price, picture quality, or screen size, each TV has its drawbacks. The good news is that whichever compromise you choose, your new TV will probably be miles ahead of what you're replacing it with. So enjoy your new TV while waiting for the next generation of TV's to arrive a few years down the road.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
I believe the best TV for someone who is in your position is a 42-inch Panasonic EDTV. You don't get quite as good resolution but you do get great contrast ratio without having to pay a tremendous amount of money. It is the only low cost plasma I would buy--the same in a Fujitsu costs more and the Panasonic's 4000 to 1 contrast ratio can't be beat and is cheaper. Even though you have less resolution SD and DVDs look great on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think my 65" is too small and I sit 10 feet from that, I let the dealer talk me out of the 73" Mits.

Just like with diamonds, TVs get smaller with time.

I have the 30" 910 in my bedroom and we are about 5 feet from that and I love the picture, it is a great TV.

But if it is your primary set, then I feel a 34" wide screen is way too small.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
SteveFoy,

Yeah, I'd say the Panny 42"er would be the display for you if you did not want to go for the Big Kahuna...the Fujitsu 50"er. The Panny 42" Plasma has a great PQ, and handles SD well. The price won't break the bank either, and many Forum members opt for the commercial model over the internet to save $. By the time you get tired of it, you'll be ready for that really large screen Flat Panel Display.

·
Registered
804 Posts
At 10 feet, the pq on the xbr 910 is frickin' incredible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and looked at the Panasonic 42" ED Plasma, and from ten feet, I was very impressed. Problem was, the XBR910 was in a terrible location with no HD feed and a bad DVD player hooked up, so I could not make any direct comparisons. From what I remember of the XBR910 when it was hooked up better, I liked it better from 10', but not enough to forgo the extra 8" from that distance. So, I went ahead an ordered the Panasonic (commercial model). Both the 910 and the Panny are on backorder, so I will probably continue to waffle until one is actually available and I have to make a final decision. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have a 42" GW III and I sit about 9' away from it. If I had a 34" screen I know I would be sitting no further than 8' away from it. Probably closer to 7'. It's just not that big so I really feel like 10' is far away.

Tiger

·
Registered
29,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRinDenver
At 10 feet, the pq on the xbr 910 is frickin' incredible.
That's absolutely right, although I wish it could be a bit brighter - but that's the trade-off you make for more resolution, apparently. Are you going to be able to resolve more fine detail if you sit closer? Sure. But at 10', which is my viewing distance, it still looks superb.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Just in case anybody out there is considering the 42-inch EDTV route==the Panasonic is great--the Fujitsu is slightly better, but costs a whole lot more, BUT in my opinion all the other EDTV plasmas suck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Champion
Just in case anybody out there is considering the 42-inch EDTV route==the Panasonic is great--the Fujitsu is slightly better, but costs a whole lot more, BUT in my opinion all the other EDTV plasmas suck!
Also NEC ED Plasmas are great. Too bad you can't find them at retail stores.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
NEC has always been like that. Why don't they just stand on the Interstates in the middle of the road and try to sell their sets--sure some people would go to jail, but maybe it would get them and their products known!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.