AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the 910 worth the 500 over the 510? I can't really tell at circuit city, they have them on really poor signals, even the HD they have on them are really crappy. Well thanks in advance ....

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
If you are going to use if for HDTV reception, then yes - the 910 has a new super-fine-pitch higher resolution tube, blows everything else away right now.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The superfine pitch of the 910 easily justifies the price differential. But I am not so sure that your decision should be made on that alone.

Your choice could be further complicated by your seating distance. The 910 is a great set; IMO it's the best 34" widescreen direct view out there. But if you sit far away from it you may not benefit much from the extra resolving power.

I sit about 7 feet away from mine, and I don't think I would want to be too much further back from it than that.

It may be difficult to find a store that has both setup side-by-side with HDTV feeds. But it would be worth a look if you can put yourself at your planned seating distance away from both sets and then judge the preceived resolution. You may find that the 510 works equally well in your situation.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Then I think the 910 would be the right choice for you, doubly so if you plan on watching a lot HDTV.

--Jerome

·
Registered
155 Posts
Khoa Tran, one other thing you might want to take into consideration: the anti-glare screen on the 910 makes viewing easy on the eyes. I don't remember if the 510 has it, but its the kind of comfort feature that helps make up for the difference in price between the xbr910 and some of the other sets on the market.

Regards,

Fitzie.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Fitzie, why'd you have to go and say that. :) I was plenty satisfied with the dot pitch on the 510 but after reading your post about the anti-glare coating on the xbr910 I popped over to the AV store near my office to see it in action. Well, sure enough, the anti-glare is a nice feature. Now I'm back in indecision, since I'm just not sure if the anti-glare is a $500 feature for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
decided to get the 910, how large is the box for the 910 and did you get delivery on it or picked it up yourself?

·
Registered
137 Posts
200 pounds of heavy! It took 3 grown men to carefully move the set. As with most tubes, the weight is toward the front which offsets the balance.

The reason I did the delivery myself is that the 910 I bought was open box and had been scratched during its first delivery by the CC delivery guys, SO.....If you trust the delivery people go with them to save your back, otherwise grab 2 friends and a 6 pack ;)

MB1010

·
Registered
155 Posts
Khoa Tran, the delivery man set the box just inside my front door using a little 2 wheel trolley, the tilt and roll type. A friend and I took it out of the carton and placed it on a stand. (I helped the delivery man get the set off the back of the truck and onto the trolley.)

monkeyboy1010 is right on in what he says. The set is heavy and cumbersome because the weight is not centered. If I have to move the set again, I plan to get 2 friends to help, with one of them there to balance the front. Two friends and a 6 pack is about right for both safety and comfort. With just 2 people, there is obviously some danger of dent and scratch.

Fitzie

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you go the CC delivery route I would definitely be there and assist the Circuit City delivery guys. They will most likely unbox the TV outside and bring it in via the most direct route. They'll be able to pick it up (it has handles), but you should be there to help them balance out the front of it, and make sure they don't hit the sides of the doorways (where the scratches are most likely to occur).

If you do it yourself make sure you have a car/truck that can take the box (it's really big). perhaps someone who still has the box can measure it to let you know how big it is. When I get home I can do it.

You'll be really happy with this TV!

Also, perhaps you can

·
Registered
119 Posts
31.5" H x 44" W x 28.5" D

Weight 199 lbs. (TV) plus the weight of the box.

I hauled it home myself and drug it in by myself although I wouldn't recommend it. I would also recommend leaving it in the box as long as you can so you can avoid scratching it on doorways and such. I was able to slide the box (on carpet) down some stairs and near the spot it would be placed. The box lifts off the TV so you don't have to try and lift it out of the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.