AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been trying to follow all of the great posts here but it seems everyone at the moment is more advanced than me! lol

I have a new 34xbr960 that I just got from Best Buy on an exchange from a 30XS955 with a dead blue spot on the screen. Low and behold! My new TV has a problem too. This time with the horizonal lines.

On the left side of the screen the top curves down a tad and the bottom curves up. Does not seem to be a problem on the right side. You can really see this in the memory stick screen and when watching movies that have bars.

I went through Ken's great posts and tried some changes but it's all too much for me at the moment. I just can't figure out what to do. I assume it's something to do with the H Trapezoid but the tweaks don't seem to help. In the same respect, I've been a knock around guy with TV's to this point. Before my $2k 960, I had a 27 inch Phillips! How's that for a change?

I looked on Sony's website and it found a service center 39 miles from me. Is this something I should call them about? Will they do any tweaking for me in relation to color or are they hard asses with everything? If they use magnets does that hurt the TV in any way? Lessen lifespan?

How much change can a video expert make in my screen? Is it worth the $200 a lot of you quote?

What should I do in this case? Thanks so much for all the help guys. This is a GREAT community!

(edit: I also notice a blue spot on the left side too. Very light blue is this maybe due to the screen being mis aligned?)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
First off, don't even bother calling Sony because they will just tell you that it's all "within spec." And their service techs don't seem to give a rip since it involves a lot of time and effort to fix geometry and convergence problems.

I had a local Sony tech come out to my house to look at my Sony 30HS420 and he told me to switch to LCD if I wanted "perfection." From the conversation I had with this guy, he didn't sound like he wanted to even try to fix my problems. It was kind of like he knew what the problem was, but wanted to avoid any work that involved taking the back of the TV off. They did, eventually, take my TV into their repair shop to try to fix the convergence issues. I got it back two weeks later and nothing was done to fix it! I wasn't happy.:mad: It looked the same when it first left my house. I basically left it at that because I knew, at this point, I would need a professional calibration to fix it.

My suggestion is to find the closest ISF calibrator in your area and have them calibrate your 960. Again, forget about Sony and have someone that CARES about getting your TV calibrated to near perfection. You'll have to pay quite a bit for it, but I really believe it's worth it--especially for the 960. Just ask Q of BanditZ.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's a grim picture! I feared as such. I have a couple questions about ISF calibrators though.

-What does the prices usually run?

-Does their work void the warranty?

-Are the problems I described something they could fix? Think that the blue spot or warped picture is a defect? I SERIOUSLY don't want to take this TV for an exchange. It would be my THIRD exchange in three weeks. :eek: Not to mention it weighs 70 tons and will BARELY fit in my Explorer. All I ask is for straight lines and no splotches darn it!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Cost varies, but it could run anywhere between $200-$500.

I wouldn't have anyone calibrate it until you get at least 100 hours on it. CRTs need a little break-in time.

I'm not sure about the warranty.

The geometry problems you describe are common on flat screen CRTs. My 30HS420 has the same problems. I managed to lessen the effect by going into the SM. You'll never get it pefect. If you decide to exchange it for another one you may get one that looks worse, the same, or slightly better.

The blue spot might be magnetic interference or a purity problem. Give it a week to see if it goes away.

I feel your pain! I went through this hell 8 months ago with two 30" Pannys, a pos 30" Philips, two 30" Toshibas, and finally a 30" Sony. I settled on the Sony because the picture looked the best and had the least amount of problems.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I feel your pain. I've being battleing the geometry thingy for days. And once you start, you will never get "satisfied" because you'll always look at the corners,..if it is straight,...if it is curved. Mine is ok now.

Dark Rain, I have a question/favor, You own a KV30HS420 and I was wondering if it is possible to show me your settings in the 2070-D1 and D2. Just to compare.

Mainly looking for SLIN, MPIN, HCNT, HPOS, HSIZ, VSIZ and VPOS. I dont need the rest because the screen is square while checking the normal mode.

Or all TVs, even same model have their own diferent settings?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77
Dark Rain, I have a question/favor, You own a KV30HS420 and I was wondering if it is possible to show me your settings in the 2070-D1 and D2. Just to compare. Mainly looking for SLIN, MPIN, HCNT, HPOS, HSIZ, VSIZ and VPOS. I dont need the rest because the screen is square while checking the normal mode. Or all TVs, even same model have their own diferent settings?
I've only adjusted VPOS from 27 to 24. I don't have the TV anymore so I don't have access to it. Sorry. The settings are a bit different for each TV of the same model number.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
I've only adjusted VPOS from 27 to 24. I don't have the TV anymore so I don't have access to it. Sorry. The settings are a bit different for each TV of the same model number.
Thanks, at least, nowI know that the settings varies, even if the same models.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
The geometry problems you describe are common on flat screen CRTs. My 30HS420 has the same problems. I managed to lessen the effect by going into the SM. You'll never get it pefect. If you decide to exchange it for another one you may get one that looks worse, the same, or slightly better.
Yeah it's a ripper. The 30xs955 I took back had PERFECT geometry but a dark patch of color on the top right. Now I got this problem and a light patch of color.

What service menu headers control this problem? I can't seem to isolate them. If you could tell me the exact headings for these changes it would get me started.

It's not so much an issue of being anal (although I am!) but even in the mem stick menu the slider bar on the left is crooked. So it's a pretty big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77
I feel your pain. I've being battleing the geometry thingy for days. And once you start, you will never get "satisfied" because you'll always look at the corners,..if it is straight,...if it is curved. Mine is ok now.
What setting finally made it better for you? Is there any tips you can give for getting the warping fixed?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I adjust the screen size a little. I can't really tell the exact setting because it depends of yours. But do as I did, watch a DVD and when the color distortion occured, I pause the movie and I entered the SM. I just reduce the HSIZ. See if the distortiont will disapear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.