AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What HD is the best from these two? If you could buy either, what would your choice be?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
XBR960.

If you do a search, we have a fair amount of threads about both of these TV's, including at least one "vs." comparison thread.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just made this decision 2 weeks ago and I went with the XBR. At the time, CC had the XBR on sale for $100 off. This cut the price difference between the 2 models to $90. For me, the few extra features that the XBR has over the XS was worth the extra $90. If the difference was $200 or more, I would have been more than happy to buy the XS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In addition to the few additional features, remember the XBR has 2 years parts and labor warranty. The XS only has 90 days labor and 1 year parts. The combination of the features and that is worth the $100-200 difference now. I say this as an 34XS955 owner.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the info. I have a 30xs955 now with a screen defect. Instead of the hassle of getting it fixed, I'm going to exchange the unit. There's no more 30XS in the area so I was thinking of going for the 34XBR960 and have what may be the last and best CRT ever to be made. 34 inch is a good size for a gaming TV and the XS is SO impressive. If the XBR's are better even by an iota it would be hard to believe.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the info. I have a 30xs955 now with a screen defect. Instead of the hassle of getting it fixed, I'm going to exchange the unit. There's no more 30XS in the area so I was thinking of going for the 34XBR960 and have what may be the last and best CRT ever to be made. 34 inch is a good size for a gaming TV and the XS is SO impressive. If the XBR's are better even by an iota it would be hard to believe.
When you see it...you'll believe it. :)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Does that mean Sony is going to stop making 34" widescreen XBRs after this year?
Unknown, but given how hard they want to hit the LCD market and other areas... I have a bad feeling that it might be. :(

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Unknown, but given how hard they want to hit the LCD market and other areas... I have a bad feeling that it might be. :(
Yep.. Sony really wants to make a impact in the LCD market.. Sucks, the better, cheaper, TV's are being pushed aside for the more expensive, less reliable LCDS.. :(

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Yep.. Sony really wants to make a impact in the LCD market.. Sucks, the better, cheaper, TV's are being pushed aside for the more expensive, less reliable LCDS.. :(
That's the feeling I am getting. I feel that LCD and Plasma both need some more time to develop into a reliable technology. I've also found that so far, slim CRT units (samsung) have a ton of problems. In three years when I outgrow this unit, I hope other technologies will be cheaper and nicer.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn
That's the feeling I am getting. I feel that LCD and Plasma both need some more time to develop into a reliable technology. I've also found that so far, slim CRT units (samsung) have a ton of problems. In three years when I outgrow this unit, I hope other technologies will be cheaper and nicer.
That's the way I see it. Personally, I plan on keeping my XBR960 for AT LEAST 3-5 years. Usually, I'm the kind of person that keeps a TV until it literally dies in my face. The same might happen here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.