AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm replacing my entire 5 year old Home Media Center. As you can see, I don't generally replace components every year or two, as most enthusiest's probably prefer. Instead, I tend to plunk down a bunch of coin all at once and use it for 5 years. When it comes to speakers, I'm CLUELESS and really need some advice or recomendations. I want either 5.1 or 7.1 and would prefer a "matched speaker system". Here's what I have upgraded to this month:

Pioneer PRO151-FD

Pioneer SC-09 Receiver

Pioneer BDP-05

I figure after looking at some sites, I'll probably be spending closer to $5500.00-$6500.00 instead.

I use my media center for DVDs, blu-ray's, TV, and alot of sports. I would say 80% movie // 20% music.

I have read so many good things about Definitive Technologies, that I planned on choosing their speakers as it seemed a safe bet, and I believe I can't lose. I was looking at either their BP7000SC System 5 pc 5.1 which includes: 2 qty = BP7000SC / 1 qty = C/L/R 3000 / 2 qty = BPVX

OR their Mythos ST System 5 pc 5.1 which includes:

2 qty = Mythos ST SuperTowers / 1 qty = Mythos Ten / 2 qty = Mythos Gem XL

I also came across this Klipsch THX Ultra 2 Home Theater System which looks really cool, retails for $12,999.91 but I can buy complete NIB for under $5000.00 This system includes a ton of speakers:

3 qty = KL-650-THX LCR

2 qty = KL-525-THX LCR

2 qty = KS-525-THX SURROUNDS

2 qty = KW-120-THX SUBWOOFERS

1 qty = KA-1000-THX SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER

Here's the link to all the information and reviews:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...tra2-overview/

Now as I stated, I know NOTHING about this THX 9 speaker system and if it would work well with my other components or if I need alot more devices to run this. So if this won't work for me, please pardon my ignorance. Any help and or suggestions, idea's, recomendations, etc.. would be so appreciated. Thanks to all who take THEIR time to reply.

Also saw this 7.1 complete system for $6000.00 : MTS-01 Full size 7.1 channel system with dual matching PB13-Ultra subs***

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't have much to add, the Klipsch setup is complete and other than misc wires etc, you won't need anything else to run it since you already have your receiver also.

Still I'm interested in the same set myself, I can also get the set 1/2 off NIB and am looking to upgrade from my towers to the KL-650's since I'm going with a AT Screen and these look like they fit the bill nicely.

I'll be reading to see what other say about the set as a whole.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bayn-- so your saying the Klipsch THX would work just fine for me and I would not need to add additional amp's or anything to run this? Because I use my home media for 90% home theater and very little music, maybe these would work great. I'm sure for people who listen to alot of music would probably not purchase these, but for home theater would they excell?? I realize the visual's are completely 180 also and the THX probably wouldn't look as appropriate in the "living room" when compared to the Def Tech's, but I don't care about looks so much. The THX look like they can take a bit of "abuse" and with small kids around, that's a plus too (LOL). I also would find these easier to fit and place in my application as the surrounds are on stands and would work well in my room. I have an L shaped room and I can mount R/S surrounds on the wall, but I'm screwed for the L/S unless I have floor mounted or on pedestals like the THX.

Well anyone with any advice on these THX's, please post your thought's. I would love to place an order by or before weeks end. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
With that kind of budget... there are lot of choices..

psb,

wharfedale etc etc... depends on what kind of "sound" you like and its all about running around listening to them.

with psb you get full tower syncrhony 2 for 1750 /set centre is 1300. etc etc for sub perhaps use one of the tested companies rythmic, epik, seaton, svs, hsu...

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's a good healthy budget for the speakers! Multitude of options for you...

Some helpful information would be - How big is your room? Does "wife-appeal" need to be considered, or will you be okay with professional speakers that only come in matte black?

The JTR Triple 8 speakers are a very good buy in that price range, but they aren't the sleekest things in the world.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading some reviews on the Klipsh THX including the one below, this system looks like it might be the way to go. The review's are excellent in all facet's, even while listening to music they rated extremely high. They say the build quality is incredible and pictures just don't do them justice. The reason I like this system as opposed to 5.1, is from the way this lay's out, it looks and sounds like you will be "immersed" with this system and feel like your in the scene as opposed to watching it. In most 5.1 systems that I have experienced (not in this 5K-6K price range though to be fair), I never feel like I hear enough coming from either my sides or my rear surrounds. I understand there not like RF/LF and most times are not pushing too much. From reading the review below and looking at this layout, it looks "right to me". I believe this THX setup would really benefit from my Pioneer SC-09 and might allow me more "options to play with or experiment with" as opposed to a standard 5.1. At under $5000.00 for it, it would even be considerably less than a Def Tech. The total weight for this THX speaker system is 485 LBS !!!!! That's gotta be built tough. Granted not an "art pc" as with alot of other speakers, but I'm not worried about looks. I prefer the manufacturer put this extra expense into the functunality and strength of their product as opposed to the outside delicate appearance, seen in most products on the market. I require this as I keep my home media components for several years, and with small children, it's really necessary.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sch-thx-ultra2

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't think there's a doubt that the Klipsch speakers are good stuff. Where did you find it at that price? It seems almost like a steal!

The JTR speakers I mentioned are here:
http://jtrspeakers.com/

If you can find a dealer near you, or someone who owns them, I highly suggest you take a listen. These aren't just normal home theater speakers!

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Go to the Klipsch thread and read back about a month or two and you will find a guy that paid close to $4,200 for the 7.1 THX setup with dual subs. You might contact him and find where he bought it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe it or not, I found a dealer 20 minutes away from me who is selling the complete THX system which consist's of:

3 qty = KL-650-THX LCR

2 qty = KL-525-THX LCR

2 qty = KS-525-THX SURROUNDS

2 qty = KW-120-THX SUBWOOFERS

1 qty = KA-1000-THX SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER

BUT he's including an additional 2 qty = KW-120-THX SUBWOOFERS

AND and additional 1 qty = KA-1000-THX SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER

Everything is either NIB or was used for 1 month, and best of all, I can pick it up for 4K !!!!! My only concern is gonna be "space". This may be too large for my wife to deal with. But this is a perfect situation and with a list price of almost $16,000.00, it would be hard to walk away from this deal costing 4K.

Agree ????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you search around for these THX's, there's actually alot of these complete speaker systems for sale. Lots of NIB for anywhere from $4000.00 up to $7000.00, and alot of used starting at $2500.00 I was surprised to see so many available. I just am worried now about all the space these will take up, especially if I choose to use the 2 additional/4 total KW-120-THX that this dealer is offering me. Pretty sick though !!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18283378

That's a good healthy budget for the speakers! Multitude of options for you...

Some helpful information would be - How big is your room? Does "wife-appeal" need to be considered, or will you be okay with professional speakers that only come in matte black?

The JTR Triple 8 speakers are a very good buy in that price range, but they aren't the sleekest things in the world.

It would help if we had a little more info like what size is your room? Is this a dedicated room where appearance is a non-factor or is it a living room where WAF must remain high? If it is a dedicated room, do you have an acoustically transparent screen?

As for general thoughts, the Klipsch deal is a good one. The THX series is a very good product line for it's intended purpose. I would prefer JTR products slightly over the THX series but it's hardly as if the THX speakers are a poor choice.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Anyone else wish they had this dude's dilemma?

Good luck on your search, and I'm sure whatever you decide on, with that budget, will sound just fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Drewy350! How do you like your pioneer elite sc-09? I have the sc-27, really like it. Looking for speakers myself. So many speaker companys, to chose from. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CRAW--I hope I haven't come across like some "stuck up snob" or something. I do apologize if my post's above gave anyone that opinion of me. I'm not some "troll" fishing for compliments or anything, and I certainly DO NOT have alot of "coin". I just came into some extra money, and because I do not buy new component's or TV's, etc.. every year in order to upgrade or "keep up" with technology changes. Instead, I try and save up over a minimum of 5 years, and than I try and put together a pretty decent system which I will use for at least another 5 years. I wasn't buying a Pio SC-09 originally as it was too expensive, and I believed the SC-27 could do almost as nice a job for me, and save me alot of money in which I felt it best to put towards the PRO151 and speakers. But, I stumbled upon this licensed high end Pio dealer in CA who was selling this SC-09 "display" unit for just under $2400.00 with 2 year warranty, free shipping, and 30 day return policy w/no restocking fee's(just pay shipping charges), so I bought it.

As for the speakers, having so little knowledge in this area, but enough to understand better speakers can offer a much bigger advantage, than say the difference of a $2000.00 receiver vs a $3000.00 receiver. I figured budget should be based in this order: Monitor = #1 highest priority, Speakers = #2 highest priority, than receiver, blu-ray, smaller additions like CD player, power cleaner, etc...

So, sorry if I bored anyone or rambled on. I just didn't want to appear like some rich kid, snob.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg350 /forum/post/18285050

CRAW--I hope I haven't come across like some "stuck up snob" or something. I do apologize if my post's above gave anyone that opinion of me. I'm not some "troll" fishing for compliments or anything, and I certainly DO NOT have alot of "coin". I just came into some extra money, and because I do not buy new component's or TV's, etc.. every year in order to upgrade or "keep up" with technology changes. Instead, I try and save up over a minimum of 5 years, and than I try and put together a pretty decent system which I will use for at least another 5 years. I wasn't buying a Pio SC-09 originally as it was too expensive, and I believed the SC-27 could do almost as nice a job for me, and save me alot of money in which I felt it best to put towards the PRO151 and speakers. But, I stumbled upon this licensed high end Pio dealer in CA who was selling this SC-09 "display" unit for just under $2400.00 with 2 year warranty, free shipping, and 30 day return policy w/no restocking fee's(just pay shipping charges), so I bought it.

As for the speakers, having so little knowledge in this area, but enough to understand better speakers can offer a much bigger advantage, than say the difference of a $2000.00 receiver vs a $3000.00 receiver. I figured budget should be based in this order: Monitor = #1 highest priority, Speakers = #2 highest priority, than receiver, blu-ray, smaller additions like CD player, power cleaner, etc...

So, sorry if I bored anyone or rambled on. I just didn't want to appear like some rich kid, snob.

Dude, don't apologize. People come on here all the time with budgets higher than yours. Here's one for example:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=300+000

There are plenty of people on here who've spent as much or more than you intend to spend. You didn't come across as anything but a guy with questions. That's what this forum is for.

FWIW, I have a good friend with the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system, including 4 subs and 2 sub amps. It is fantastic! Great dynamics, plenty of volume, and the subs are awesome. You could do much worse spending $6K on speakers and subs.

Craig

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Before I dropped that amount of cash I would listen to AT LEAST 10 brands in that price range. Not saying the Klipsch aren't great, but I do not like their sound. There are a lot of speakers I would choose over them. I know this because I have listened to dozens of brands over the years and none of them sound the same.

Demo, demo, demo and bring music you know well. Take notes since you will forget what you like and dislike about each speaker. Some speakers you will write off immediately and others you will want to listen to again. I would listen to the ones you really like a few times for extended periods of time (no less than 30 minutes) and then see if you can get a demo pair to bring home and try in your listening room.

If you find a great pair of speakers you will own them much longer than 5 years. If you just grab a good deal, you may end up buying "different" new speakers much sooner than you plan.

Spend some listening and you will end up with a system you will enjoy much more.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Iam not sure where you are looking at...but if its a liquidator...beware.

I bought 2 kl-650's of mine from a reputable dealer with warranty and 1 used kl-650...a total around 2700 for the three...Iam sorry, but I question the 4k price for 4 subs and 2 amps, with all those speakers...Iam not even sure why you would ask SHOULD I BUY? Kinda a stupid question given all the positive reviews you heard.

As far as the klipsch thx...I love them...very dynamic speaker.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg350 /forum/post/18285050

Oh no, you didn't come across as that! And re-reading my post, I maybe sounded like a jealous jerk. I'm truly envious of you and your ability to be able to afford such high-end gear. I'll be there some day, I know it! Keep on keepin' on, man.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mrcoop:"I'm sorry, but I question the 4k price for 4 subs and 2 amps, with all those speakers...Iam not even sure why you would ask SHOULD I BUY? Kinda a stupid question given all the positive reviews you heard".

The reason I asked was I'm not real knowledgable about speakers, and I really wanted to know if this THX system would require any additional component's to make these work. I didn't want to impulsively buy them, and find out afterwards I need to add additional amplifiers, etc.. and have to spend say $3000.000 more to really get everything out of them. I wasn't asking if they were a great deal, just if they could be used with what I was putting together. Sorry for the confusion. Not my intention.

mbyrnes: "Before I dropped that amount of cash I would listen to AT LEAST 10 brands in that price range. Not saying the Klipsch aren't great, but I do not like their sound. There are a lot of speakers I would choose over them. I know this because I have listened to dozens of brands over the years and none of them sound the same.

Demo, demo, demo and bring music you know well. Take notes since you will forget what you like and dislike about each speaker. Some speakers you will write off immediately and others you will want to listen to again. I would listen to the ones you really like a few times for extended periods of time (no less than 30 minutes) and then see if you can get a demo pair to bring home and try in your listening room.

If you find a great pair of speakers you will own them much longer than 5 years. If you just grab a good deal, you may end up buying "different" new speakers much sooner than you plan.

Spend some listening and you will end up with a system you will enjoy much more."

Excellent points you bring up, especially where you state "if you find a great pair of speakers you will own them much longer than 5 years. If you just grab a good deal you may end up buying new speakers much sooner."

I would love to go and listen to alot of speakers, but I was thinking unless you have the entire group of speakers from all the manufacturer's your considering in the same listening room, being supported by the same auxillery equipment (amp's, receiver's, DVD player/blu-ray, particular DVD/CD/blu-ray, cables, etc..) and finally, being sent thru, or connected in the identical manner (HDMI, etc..), than can you really make a true comparison? I don't know. Maybe you can. These thoughts just entered my head. I also hate to walk into several B&M audio stores, stay for extended periods of time, and than not buy from them. I would feel somewhat obligated. I know, stupid. I shouldn't even care. But I know, being a business owner myself, I would feel bad for the guy if I spent alot of time with him and purchased elsewhere. The other problem is finding stores that have systems available in this price range to compare. I haven't found too many. So I don't know if I will be able to listen to alot of samples.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts