Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of musings from Alysa - -

I returned this evening (Sunday) from watching a new re-print of “How The West Was Won†in 3-strip Cinerama at the Hollywood “Arclight†theater. Those three Arclight projectionists must have worked feverishly trying to keep the their respective filmstrips aligned – but WOW, what an image - and that THX sound system!! "Totally Awesome", as we say in the SFV!

Anyway, and more to the point of my post – while most of us have some form of analog or digital projection, this evening, on “House Garden TV†(HGTV), on the show titled, â€Incredible Basementsâ€, was a 10-min segment on a home built HT using a 35mm commercial projector!

This Chicago enthusiast converted his 3000 sq-foot basement into a 1940-50’s movie theater. I believe the auditorium dimensions were 22’ x 30’ with seating for 30 people, not including the lobby, concession stand, and the good sized 35mm projection booth

His theater was beautiful, although not luxuriously appointed. It was very reminiscent of the classic movie palaces in style, architecture, and design – very, very classic. He has most every HT “accessory†most of us only dream about. As I recall, he built everything himself and spent four years doing it!

But what mystified me was why on earth anyone would build such a beautiful home theater only to run a 35mm projection system??? They showed the projector – this monster stood about 6’ tall and owner quipped that he could “thread it†in just over a minute. Where would anyone get films for this beast without going thru a commercial film “broker� Blockbuster??

Does anyone have such a system – and who could afford films to feed it? Does it have to sit on reinforced concrete? Not to mention how to cool or power this thing :cool:

Well HT-ers, this got me to thinking, . :confused:

I wonder how much a used 35mm projector would cost me if I wanted to go this route? So, I went to the “bible of bizarre oddities†(a.k.a. EBAY) and there it was - my own personal 35mm projector to be had for $9,500! - less than a new Sony projector! This item was posted but nobody ever bid on it - and the auction has since closed - but I guess I could still email the seller :)

But my main question is this, “if I buy this 35mm projection system for my humble HT, does this mean it would fall into the ‘projectors - $5000 and up’ forum or ‘ultra high-end HT Gear’� ;)

A REAL Home Projector => Item # 2949300064

Alysa

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Alysa,

ummm...I guess we could start a new forum entitled: Alysa's 35mm Projector forum. But it might get kinda lonely chatting with yourself. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.