Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirs,

I've been researching for a couple months now; and I think I know enough now to be really confused. Hehe. But I have narrowed it down to the *type* of set I want to start with, and I need your help!

Requirements:

1. I'm viewing a mixture of Tivo, Digital cable, DVD right now; I'll want to continue that for a while. I'm especially interested in how the Tivo affects my choice.

2. I want to also view HDTV signal from cable and eventually (perhaps) from a dish.

3. I want 16:9 aspect ratio.

4. Willing to use an external line douobler like the iscan pro.

5. Finally, price isn't terribly important as long as the quality is there. I'm not expecting to spend more than around $4500 though.

What I'm considering:

1. Mitsubishi WS-55809 + IScan (yes, I know its not Direct)

2. The RCA MM36110

3. Sampo SME-34WHD5

I've got this far on my own, but am still willing to consider other monitors. I'd like to hear your thoughts or see pointers to other threads that might help me. There was a thread recently that covered some of the same territory, but that person is looking for 4:3 and not wanting to view HD content.

Many thanks for your knowledge and assistance. --ma

[This message has been edited by Major Astro (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Major Astro:

Sirs,

I've been researching for a couple months now; and I think I know enough now to be really confused. Hehe. But I have narrowed it down to the *type* of set I want to start with, and I need your help!

Requirements:

1. I'm viewing a mixture of Tivo, Digital cable, DVD right now; I'll want to continue that for a while. I'm especially interested in how the Tivo affects my choice.

2. I want to also view HDTV signal from cable and eventually (perhaps) from a dish.

3. I want 16:9 aspect ratio.

4. Willing to use an external line douobler like the iscan pro.

5. Finally, price isn't terribly important as long as the quality is there. I'm not expecting to spend more than $4500 though.

What I'm considering:

1. The Panasonic Tau

2. The RCA

I've got this far on my own, but am still willing to consider other monitors. I'd like to hear your thoughts or see pointers to other threads that might help me. There was a thread recently that covered some of the same territory, but that person is looking for 4:3 and not wanting to view HD content.

Many thanks for your knowledge and assistance. --ma
If you're willing to consider a 34" 16:9 instead of a 36", then consider the 34" Sampo. Do a search on the forum: Sampo.

In brief, it has two sets of component inputs, one RGB input, S-video and composite in. Besides SD, it does both 720P and 1080I. I can also offers outstanding performance from external scalers and works beautifully at 72Hz vertical. Neither of the sets you're considering offer anywhere near the input/output/format flexibility of the Sampo...which retails at discount from $2500-3000.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are excellent sources of help. Many thanks.

I'll investigate the Sampo. A local dealer near me sells a repackaged Sampo that I think must be the exact model you are suggesting. The nice thing about it was it having a vga input for a laptop I keep down by my entertainment gear. Not necessary, but a nice bonus.

The list will be a nice reference, but I hope I can get some suggestions from what is available from the list.

Any other suggestions? --ma

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
also check out Sony KD-34XBR2

or the RCA 38" TV with directv built in

The Panny 36 Tau is an excellent set-that would be my choice

·
Registered
99 Posts
I saw the Philips 34" 16 x 9 recently and it was amazing with an HD loop running through it. It far surpassed the neighboring Tau and Wega models. It was at Circuit City so I couldn't see what it looked like with cable running through it. If you find a dealer near you with this model, it would be worth checking out. Let us know what you get. I am in a similar boat but am holding off for now.

Dan

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The Sampo looks very good, but I'm worried about the uneven reports of quality from owners. Either its really great, or its awful.

After more thought, I'm also considering going with one of the smaller Mitsubishi RP models. I just can't help but worry about obsolescence, and they seem to be the only manufacturer with a good product that gives at least some assurance of protection. With a line-doubler, it could be a good long-term solution. --ma

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had the RCA set you listed. It has a beautiful picture, and you get a wide variety of inputs. The only negative I can think of (besides the 4:3 screen ratio) is that the screen was very curved.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Major Astro,

If you're going to consider 34" 16:9's you might want to consider the 36" Hitachi 36SDX01S. It's 16:9 squeeze mode is over 33" diagonal and of course is 36" for the ever present 4:3 material. Also cheap at $1200 - $1600. I figure I'm enjoying HD and anamorphic DVD's right now with little risk.

I haven't measured but is the Sampo or Tau actually 34" viewable? Regardless its very close.

Just another suggestion.

Ken

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Major Astro I am still loving my RCA F38310 wide screen with a inscreen glass vertical height of 19 inches and 34 inches in width.

Viewing at 4.5 feet away those wide screens look really almost digital for $2999.

A built in Directv recceiver and a built in line doubler 'no' set box needed fully integrated High def TV it's a bargain. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was recently shopping in the same basic marketplace (30-36" direct-view). I was quite impressed by the Philips and the local Good Guys had them on sale for a while (now expired, but likely to repeat) and it seemed like a hell of a deal.

I was close to pulling the trigger, but then the new Sony KD34XBR2 came out and the store set it up right next to the Philips. The two seemed very similar in quality and features, but the Sony had the new Firewire stuff (just in case) and the built-in tuner (not DirecTV however), so I ended up going with the Sony. But for the price I suspect the Philips is a better bargain. I also preferred the Philips remote slightly.

Since this is my second HD monitor, I felt a bit paranoid about the whole connectivity thing so ponied up the extra $1k or so for the 1394 stuff on the Sony. I feel all guilty and dirty about it, of course, but sleep more soundly :-/

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand:

Major Astro,

If you're going to consider 34" 16:9's you might want to consider the 36" Hitachi 36SDX01S. It's 16:9 squeeze mode is over 33" diagonal and of course is 36" for the ever present 4:3 material. Also cheap at $1200 - $1600. I figure I'm enjoying HD and anamorphic DVD's right now with little risk.

I haven't measured but is the Sampo or Tau actually 34" viewable? Regardless its very close.

Just another suggestion.

Ken
Hi Ken. I actually looked at the Hitachi you mentioned; even took a look at one sitting in a Sears. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a 16:9 flat screen though. As for the Sampo, it definitely is a 34", but after a recommendation and reading rave reviews, I put it into the mix. Only thing is there are also some very negative reports on this model, so I am hesitating on it.

I wonder if I should just consider rear projection only. I'm having a really tough time nailing down a direct view monitor that fits my needs. =( --ma

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Toshiba has a new 34" set not quite out yet: 34HF81

The MSRP from Toshiba is $2999.99 but OneCall has it listed as $2499. No firewire or VGA input or reviews yet, but another set to consider. Toshiba's previous 34" set did not get hight marks. Hopefully, this is an improvement.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Innerloop:
I was recently shopping in the same basic marketplace ...

Since this is my second HD monitor, I felt a bit paranoid about the whole connectivity thing so ponied up the extra $1k or so for the 1394 stuff on the Sony. I feel all guilty and dirty about it, of course, but sleep more soundly :-/

Inner,

I know exactly how you feel. These last few months of researching my purchase have left me confused and a bit paranoid. My inclination was to get one of the first 1394 enabled monitors to come out, and I seriously considered the Sony XBR, but I'm not that crazy about the picture and I also really want a true 16:9 display. This is the reason I'm leaning to RP now. I just can't seem to get what I want in a direct view monitor.

Its really hard, but maybe I should just wait for all the 2002 models to come out. --ma

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well, strange and wonderful things can happen when you become desperate.

On a whim, I visited the Plasma group. I've always loved the look of a plasma screen, but always assumed that one had to spend at least $7500 just to enter into the fray. Well, that's not the case anymore. It seems the Panasonic 42" offerings (TH-42PWD4UY) have entered into the realm of possibility, and they are getting excellent reviews from forum members. I'm pretty sure I'll be placing an order for one very soon.

While more than the $4500 I specified, its not going to be a lot over $5000; not bad for something I intend to keep for years to come.

I want to thank everyone that posted help and suggestions here; your support is much appreciated! --Karl

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Major Astro The Panny plasma is the way I finally ended up- I ordered a Panny Tau and at the last minute switched to a Panny 42PWD3-well worth the extra $$$.

--------

Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've seen the Sampo very nice, Fry's had a DVD running from a PC, don't know what input it was though, can't remember price. Saw the Sony KD34-XBR2 today at GG's at $3000 very, very nice. This is the one for me, yes it is true 16:9 display. FYI, the clerk checked his computer after I asked him about the XBR700, he said, he should be getting it in the store in September.

Edit": The price is $3999, not $3000.

[This message has been edited by fastman (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Doesn't the Panasonic plasma raise the same issue of obsolescence in that it doesn't have a digital input?

I'm another guy who'd like to purchase now (am leaning toward a Mits 46 or 55 because of the module, although I'd prefer the Tosh 50HX or Pioneer 53), am tired of waiting, but am hesitant.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
rblnr;

yes- the lack of digital input is a factor but I got tired of waiting too- I just cannot believe the industry will abandon us to the point our displays are obsolete- no doubt there will be a Firewire to analog adapter box to address this and many threads on this forum comparing its performance to direct digital

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.