AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a bunch of HDTV's and have not been able to make up my mind.... I watch mostly 4:3 DISH, and DVD's maybe 10% of the time. Looking at Sony XBR, Panasonic 36HX, Toshiba 43HX.... like them all.

I only have a 48" wide space in a fairly bright room (lots of windows). Have a 32" Panasonic, just too small for those DVD's.

I've seen a lot of dumping on Samsung... but their new 43" looks like a real nice design. Any comments?
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Hom...er/hlk436w.htm

I've read how the Princetons are very good, but have not found a place to look at them yet.

Just trying to make up my mind, and comments welcome. :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got a Toshiba 43h70 and love it. The majority of my viewing is 4:3 - I have a wife and two kids. After hours I fire up the HTPC for DVD viewing or watch HBOHD or Showtime using the sets vertical squeeze. The 16:9 image is the equivalent of a 40" 16:9 tv. My room is pretty bright. I have windows on one adjacent side and the TV sits between two sets of double glass french doors. I use curtains and blinds to control the light when needed during the day. The most important thing is no windows directly behind the seating postion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had the same dilemma and almost bought a 4:3 43 inch HD monitor, but at the last moment I changed off the set for I already watched several DVDs per week with black bars. :( That was a goal to change. Also, I was buying a HD monitor (limited a bit now) for quality viewing of the native image. I did not want to be watching those black bars all day long.

So this new pattern of thinking lead me to a small 16:9 (43 inch) Hitachi that fits my room size, has a great picture, and is prepared for those DVDs, my limited now HD viewing and the future that will be almost exclusively HD.

My advise is go 16:9 and don't look back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ask 20 different people, and you'll get 20 different answers. For me, I never watch DVDs. I have a DVD player on my PC and only bought DVD to test the install. Since then I haven't bought one, nor have I rented one. But that's just my own viewing habits. Everyone has different patterns.

For me, I too figure the majority of my viewing will be 4:3. I'm already used to watching letterbox content with the bars on top. For the limited amount of 16:9 content I'll watch, I'd rather see the bars where I'm used to seeing them than to be forced to watch what I usually do with bars on the side or with a distorted image. So for me it was a 4:3 set.

A few years from now I may or may not regret that decision. But I bought the set for today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.