AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be purchasing a new set this coming weekend, i am set on the sony 36 or 34hs510. what are the main differences between the 36 and the 34hs510 (other than the aspect ratio). since i have never owned a "letterbox" type of set before, the 36" looks bigger and for a larger than normal size family room like the best alternative (i will be sitting at about 14' from the set) - - but i am attracted by the black-bars-less presentation of the 34" format.

your recommendation, suggestions, advice, is appreciated.

mjc

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 4:3 set may appear larger, but thats only for 4:3 programming which is the older lower resolution (softer) analog NTSC video. That doesn't look to good blown up too large. The newer high resolution (DVD or HD) video is 16:9 aspect ratio. You may find that too watch 4:3 programming at reasonable quality you have to sit far away from the set, but to appreciate the higher quality of DVD or HD video you would have to move a lot closer. With the 16:9 set you can sit at one distance and get good quality from both types (since the lower quality 4:3 program would be smaller size), with the 4:3 set you would have either move for each type or accept poorer quality for one or the other.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
important - i will be watching 90% of the time 4:3 programing (4dtv c-band system) and no hd at all (other 10% dvd). i am not sure how 4:3 would look on the 34hs510.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Then I guess you can concentrate on a 4:3 set then. In my area all the networks have HD primetime programming now so I watch mostly HD programming and DVDs, very little old analog 4:3 programs. Even many analog programs are letterboxed 16:9 now too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.