Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 36" square set, HDTV of course.

Or a 34" wide screen HDTV.

The square one is the newest Sony one that when put into wide srceen is about the same as a 33" wide screen set, CRT, right? At least that is what it seems.

The 34" widescreen is the newest Toshiba one in the wide screen CRT line.

Plasma, LCD, DLP.. not an option, not what I want.

Widescreen one is about 1200 dollars, the Toshiba 34HF85 ( I have a Toshiba now and like it a lot )

I am leaning towards the square one because it seems like such a better deal. 100s cheaper and I am only losing an inch of wide screen mode. Plus for regular TV and non wide screen mode games I would have a lot more screen to play on, the widescreen one in 4:3 mode would be pretty small, I'd imagine, smaller then the 36" anyway.

Comments?

Any reason I should get the wide one over the square one? *most* things are still 4:3 and *most* videogames are still 4:3. Also, there is a 16:9 button that switches it into a widescreen TV.

Why would someone want a 34" 16:9 tv instead of a much larger 36" 4:3 one?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo
A 36" square set, HDTV of course.

Or a 34" wide screen HDTV.

Why would someone want a 34" 16:9 tv instead of a much larger 36" 4:3 one?
It's funny, but each camp seems to be passionate about this question. My own reason for selecting the widescreen set is that HDTV is broadcast in 16 x 9, not 4 x 3 and I just don't like letterboxed HD if it can be avoided. If you are into gaming and letterboxed HD broadcasts don't bother you then the 36" may be right for you. I would rather have a stretched 4:3 picture on a 16:9 set than watch letterboxed HD. Of course, if you are talking about movies, OAR can mean letterboxed HD anyway but this is less pronounced than for a 4:3 set.

But this has been debated many times over and will probably continue for a while until the 4:3 sets go away. Try to find a 4:3 HD rear projection set these days. It is hard to do and there is a reason for that. I have not kept up with the trend lately on the new models of the tube HD sets but I think that there are fewer 4:3 HD set choices for each model year and I would be surprised if that changes.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
4:3 videogames is going to change with the advent of the PS3 and XBOX360..these will all be in 16:9.plus dvd's look better on an 16:9 set.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
How many of these threads do we see in just one week's time? We really should make a sticky thread for "4:3 vs. 16:9" and just finish it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bottom line is chose what ever bugs you LESS. Widescreen will give to really fat bars on the sides when watching 4:3 and thinner bars on a lot of movies not in 16:9 (a lot of movies are wider than 16:9 so you still get bars on a widescreen displays when watching many dvd's) and in 4:3 the bars are on the top and bottom and not as irritating to me. Have fun shopping!

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
The other important thing to consider when talking about CRT (and I'm surprised that no one mentioned it yet) is burn-in. Most widescreen CRT users use some sort of stretch mode to change a 4:3 signal to fill up the full screen. In that way the screen is being burned in at an even pace and so picture quality will be uniform for years. I don't know if a 4:3 HDTV offers a mode to convert 16:9 to 4:3 and I have no idea what that would look like (land of the giants, I'm assuming).

I think some widescreen HDTVs do a pretty good job with some of the stretch modes, so that it's not easy to notice any distortion in the picture.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The answers you get currently will most likely be in proportion to the population of folks buying 16:9 versus those buying 4:3 for HDTV. And since the latter are outnumbered you will get less replies supporting the latter choice. It doesn't make the choice invalid - as others have mentioned just do some searching as this topic has been beat to death within the last couple months in some other threads. Too tired to start it up again now when it is repetitive and the arguments for either choice remain the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
4:3 videogames is going to change with the advent of the PS3 and XBOX360..these will all be in 16:9.plus dvd's look better on an 16:9 set.
How does dvd's look better on 16:9 sets? most still have black bars on top and bottom right? Other then that..how does it look better on ws sets? That 36 sony hdtv is only an inch less in ws format then the 34inch sony's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.