181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Thanks Bob, saves another $10. :)

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Also considering adobe premiere as it has far more options. Magix raises some doubts on T/B capability. Need clarity on that. Vuze is only T/B.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Testing of Magix Premium editor is a no go for 360 VR content in 3D. Very disappointing.

While it claims to support 3D and 360VR, it does not support a combination of the two. In addition, it does not support 3D T/B mode, only anaglyph and SBS.

It has some nice features in 2D editing including animation and library of content but these are often available only at extra charge.

Also, the free extras, New Blue effects, will install and add them to your other New Blue compatible editors such as Power Director 15.

I think that Adobe will allow a trial test of it's Premier Pro which claims to offer all 360 + 3D modes including keyframing of alignments and other tools. I may have to hang up my stubborn hat and bite the bullet on "renting" software for a monthly charge if I want the most powerful software. Years ago I tested Premiere Pro and it was too unstable for simple editing and kept crashing and losing your work.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Installed the 7 day trial of Premiere Pro. Before committing to a rental agreement for a year. I want to be sure this editor can do what I need.

It took me quite a bit of digging but I finally figured out how to get the secondary monitor to work. For 3D a secondary monitor is important to my work flow and with VR 360 it's even more important.

Adobe Premiere Pro does do what I need for 3D 360 editing. It works very nicely with the Vuze 4K 3D video. While my i7-950 is not quite fast enough to play the 4K files stitched file from the Vuze without some stuttering, APP can be set to 1/2 resolution during playback and full when paused so that will play without trouble with a file on my PCIe storage and I can see what the 4K quality looks like in paused.

I was able to customize the editing work layout with quick buttons to toggle the 360 navigation and viewing controls which is better than digging deep into the menus all the time.

APP lacks the interleave 3D display mode so I have to put my 3D monitor in T/B for a clean display. The other option is anaglyph or 2D T/B left or right camera display. Having to put the monitor in T/B is not such a bad problem.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
The Samsung360 cameras are actually quite high quality. The newest one actually offers image stabilization which is pretty good, BUT, only in 1080p video which is how they do it with the 4K sensors. The real problem is sacrificing 4K image in a VR camera is a real bust in output image quality when viewed in a VR window. So, the best solution is to not wobble the camera as in using a tripod mount or a gimbal to achieve I.S. High image pixel count in the stitched equirectangular image so the window has reasonable quality is the most important issue with 360 cameras.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
There are a couple of reviews of the current new model and last year's model that offers the I.S. for 1080p.

When I looked at the reviews, I found two major differences:

1. the I.S. on the new model was quite good as long as you didn't tilt the camera too far in hand holding. But the video quality with the goggles was awful in 1080p. Worse than my Giroptic360. Put it in 4K mode and no IS but the image was excellent, although the same as best I could tell on my iphone6+ in VR mode and goggles.
2. The audio quality on the model you bought was far better with good base compared to the new model but both were bad with wind chatter.

With that said, I decided to avoid both for now as my kit seems complete with the 8 camera Vuze that runs in stereoscopic VR and has Adobe Premier Pro with Mettle Plugin, can do everything I need at the highest image quality for under $1K. I told you I paid $679 for a used one rated new condition from B&H.

But if I need to mount a 360 VR camera on my drone for some dolly shots near the ground the Giroptic360 is still going to do the job.

BTW just announced on Tuesday, Adobe bought Mettle Skybox suite for Premiere and After Effects subscribers. That package would have cost me $499 from Mettle, now it's supposed to be free but I haven't gotten my license code from Adobe yet. I have them loaded now for testing with a water marks and the main advantage is that in stereo you can adjust the z axis depth as well as move the 2D inserts like text and PIP around the sphere and it doesn't distort. Plus there are all sorts of transitions in Mettle suite that adobe doesn't do. 360VR in adobe w/o Mettle plugin is limited to cuts and dissolves.

I think you will have fun with the 360VR shooting.

I will be getting the Two Eyes camera, hopefully in August, but then my next move will probably be a new edit computer. Adobe runs fine with 360 3D but adding the Mettle plugin really slows the processing and rendering.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Here's my latest in 360VR 3D

Reactions: macaronia

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
I created an account as soon as I saw this post.
I have the Gear VR and ready to pull the trigger on the Rift. I like to play video games, but have passion for video and photography. I have the gear 360 (2017) and have been playing with it a lot.

However, I have a question about video. The Gear 360 came wit ha striped down version of Cyberlink power director. Does the full version of PowerDirector have support for 3d?
I just received my kick-starter backed 3D camera (SID 3D). Now I am looking for good editing software that won't break my pocketbook. Overall, I would like the software to do 360, 3D and 360 in 3D.
Any recommendations?

I will be getting the Two Eyes camera, hopefully in August
I backed this as well... I can't believe the pushed out to March 2018 after telling me that they were on schedule just 2 weeks prior. I hope they take the time they need to make this a good product.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Hello all,
I created an account as soon as I saw this post.
I have the Gear VR and ready to pull the trigger on the Rift. I like to play video games, but have passion for video and photography. I have the gear 360 (2017) and have been playing with it a lot.

However, I have a question about video. The Gear 360 came wit ha striped down version of Cyberlink power director. Does the full version of PowerDirector have support for 3d?
I just received my kick-starter backed 3D camera (SID 3D). Now I am looking for good editing software that won't break my pocketbook. Overall, I would like the software to do 360, 3D and 360 in 3D.
Any recommendations?

I backed this as well... I can't believe the pushed out to March 2018 after telling me that they were on schedule just 2 weeks prior. I hope they take the time they need to make this a good product.
Ed, The Power Director product does 3D but does not do 3D in 360VR. Most of these edit programs, if they do 360 they don't do it in 3d. To my knowledge the only software you can do everything is Adobe Premiere Pro, a subscription based product.
If you really want 360 3D VR the Vuze camera is really nice. But it really needs to be still or image stabilized with a gimbal for quality video. I saved a little money by buying a used one from B&H. People buy these things try them and find it isn't what they thought and return it.

I'm done with Kick Starter. The Two Eyes was supposed to be shipped in August, then they pushed back to November. I just got word from them they now are pushing back to March. I don't expect this thing to fly. I will take my little losses and be happy with the Vuze .

Have fun with your Gear 360. That is a nice camera.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
One of the problems with shooting 360VR especially in 3D is the requirement to hold the camera perfectly level and steady. The best productions seem to be where the camera is locked down on a tripod in the center of activity. But this isn't always practical so some sort of steadicam device is called for. OIS in 3D is just not available and the digital IS just doesn't work for equirectangular imaging.

Shown below are two of my methods for shooting videos that are point of view shooting. One is a car mount and the other is a 3 axis gimbal designed for vertical camera mounting. The trick is balancing and by adding a little extra weight to this popular Gimbal ( Guru360 ) the setup can be quick.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Updates on 360VR amateur production and 360VR in space announcement-

Big news today- The VUZE camera was taken to the International Space Station to shoot the ISS in 360 VR 3D. Looking forward to seeing that.

Adobe Premiere Pro released a new update that includes the embedded Mettle Skybox plugin now for free that allows us to insert Text, images, logos and other content anywhere in the 360 3D space without weird distortion. It also allows for a number of geometric distortion free transitions, and image effects like sharpen and blur.

Adobe also added Ambisonic sound editing for 360VR as long as you have the 4 channel wav file properly recorded. In Adobe PP you can now modify the spatial audio as needed to sync it's geo location with the video. The easiest way to record ambisonic sound is with the Zoom H2N recording microphone and mounting it near your 360 3D camera as I have done here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Updated Badlands 360 VR 3D road trip for VR Goggles.

This re-edit was done with latest Adobe Premiere Pro and latest Human Eyes stitching software. Far from perfect but getting better every month.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

This video is an experiment comparing two types of image stabilization. The first few scenes up to 1 minute use the Adobe Warp Stabilization and with default settings. While it did the job and worked better than expected, it suffered where the video ends join together. See this as you wrap the point of view to 180 degrees. The next scenes and most of the video used the GURU360 gimbal stabilizer. The audio was captured with the Zoom H2n microphone.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

181 - 197 of 197 Posts