AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I got the idea that immersion is the reason for the Goggles. From my demo of the OR models a couple years ago, they were awful. Not everyone thought so. The use of panning around in 360 space can be done without the goggles, just by holding up a smart phone with the 360 player app. As you move around the display will change the same as you get with the goggles. Left right up or down. The display pans with your movement. The other way is keeping the screen in one place and you pan around with the touch screen.

I think I mentioned before the 3D was very low res and gave me a headache in a few seconds of use. 360 camera is for me, VR Goggles... Not yet. Wake me up when they look and feel like regular glasses, sun glasses.
The only 360 I have viewed so far is your's from a couple of weeks ago. Viewing it on my tablet and moving it around was a novel and enjoyable experience and will be how I view 360s going forward. I'm seriously shocked at just how not ready for prime-time these VR goggle devices are. I really hadn't expected the experience to be so incredibly mediocre. The device I used was well focused, comfortable, and was viewing my phone which has a 1440 res screen with good color, so I don't think a more expensive device would have made much difference. Different strokes for different folks, but it's just hard to figure how anyone could seriously like such a completely non-immersive, low image quality, way of viewing. :confused:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Different strokes for different folks, but it's just hard to figure how anyone could seriously like such a completely non-immersive, low image quality, way of viewing. :confused:
I have wondered about that too, but then my son, who hasn't been exposed to much VR or 3D images, looked through one and was mesmerized for about 20 minutes. After that, he began to see the flaws and said it was junk--and he is a fan of 3D movies. I think that most people are unaware that when they see this for the first time they thinks it's great--as long as they don't watch for more than a few minutes, which most demonstration are. We just happen to be well beyond that point in our seeing ability.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Barry- when you did your test with the cheap cell phone holder, you weren't getting 3D were you? Does your cheap goggles display a SBS video and optically convert it for stereo? Like the old Viewmaster did that we used as a kid,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

or the really old stereoscope my father had as a kid:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/485986402/antique-vintage-edwardian-1900s-wooden?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-toys_and_games-toys-learning_and_school&utm_custom1=1e2c75ec-90c0-428e-a63e-6753c74838bc&gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyH-UyJwQW_er95WfYJSJaP8oJE_8hwuEg2m_Xoi_N3AhoCf23w_wcB

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Barry- when you did your test with the cheap cell phone holder, you weren't getting 3D were you? Does your cheap goggles display a SBS video and optically convert it for stereo? Like the old Viewmaster did that we used as a kid,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

or the really old stereoscope my father had as a kid:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/485986402/antique-vintage-edwardian-1900s-wooden?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-toys_and_games-toys-learning_and_school&utm_custom1=1e2c75ec-90c0-428e-a63e-6753c74838bc&gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyH-UyJwQW_er95WfYJSJaP8oJE_8hwuEg2m_Xoi_N3AhoCf23w_wcB
Yes, it actually did display the SBS as 3D.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
There is also an app that lets you look at MPO files on your phone. Again, the images are so pixelated, it's just not worth it. Instead of helping promote 3D, I think these "toys" actually discourage the use of 3D.
My device wasn't pixalated but just too soft as well as the lack of wide screen. Totally agree that this is certainly not going to be a good way to rekindle interest in 3D. Exactly the opposite, perhaps.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Did you check out the one sample that has arrows that you can click on that takes you into the next room for more 360 views? It's of a museum or gift shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Did you check out the one sample that has arrows that you can click on that takes you unto the next room for more 360 views. It's of a museum or gift shop.
I was on my tablet and just looked at the inauguration one- until it froze up. I kept zooming, and zooming, on the crowd. Was able to zoom faces from pinpoints to good sized and highly detailed.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
The zoom has different functions depending on hardware. Using Google Chrome the mouse wheel will zoom in and out. I saw on their forum some crashing but I have not seen that yet.

I am searching for a tutorial on how the software works.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Barry- here is a video I found that shows how you can use your camera for making these 360 super high res 360's

https://www.ptgui.com/

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Barry- here is a video I found that shows how you can use your camera for making these 360 super high res 360's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-V2hZ2Eys

https://www.ptgui.com/
Very interesting, but way to complex for me.

When I was in Yosemite last summer. I was doing a time lapse and talked to a German guy who had an interesting digital motion control device. His camera was mounted on it and it would move, snap, move, snap, over and over again at exact points- up, down, left, right. It looked like it might very well have taken 100 images or more of the vista it was looking at. He said the machine automatically did all the stitching. Quite interesting to watch that contraption.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I always take 180º still pans with my dslr wherever I go just to capture the environment. I think I will start taking two 180º back to back pans and stitch them to see what that will look like. I really don't need sky or ground since you will have some of both anyway. Hmm, I now have something to do next week...:)

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Bob- My NEX5n's will shoot panorama and stitch them together for either 2D or 3D and it does a really great job of it. There are samples of the 3D panoramas about 180° view in my 3D video on Bryce Canyon. Of course the aspect ration leaves large top and bottom black layers to fit in a normal video frame of 16x9. So what I did was to use them as just a portion of a title card to fill the frame with more image.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
This could be a regular 3D video camera gopro substitute (no underwater case, though) and a 360º 3D camera. Looks like it is synced 4K, but the preview videos are definitely not synced and flicker. Has two 4k sensors. Eye width is wide for the wide angle lenses and will give a miniature effect, but videos look promising for the price. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/244975696/twoeyes-vr-360-camera

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
I think the flicker is from the fluorescent lighting in the room. But the image match up in 3D looked pretty good.

Probably will not be on time for delivery. The Giroptic360 was over a year behind schedule. The eye strain when the little girl walked up close to the camera did cause a bit or eye strain. I looked at it on my 3D monitor. I think 360 degree function only works in 2D. Did not see a demo of 3D that I could scan. The demo was on YT which should have been capable. Need to look into that a little more.

Price is not bad though. Might be worth a shot later in the year.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Don, this Top/Bottom demo was on their site and also YouTube. You can watch it in Anaglyph 3D and it does scan.
The one issue is the eye alignment is considerably off and hurts if you watch it full screen. I hope they get and pay attention to feedback. If they get this right, I'm in, although they are charging a $30 fee to send to U.S ($239+$30). My guess is as they hit the street, the price will come down.

They have an early-bird 2 camera special, though that's a good deal.

Edit: I just reviewed the FAQs at the bottom of their Kickstarter page. It appears they are going to develop an underwater case and add advanced programming features, etc. for a future version after all the first-wave buyers receive their cameras. Oh, and they said the flickering was from bad lightning in the demos--they are going to correct in future demos.

I asked two questions: Will the bad 3D alignment be fixed in the first version, and will first buyers receive compensation to buy the more advanced version later?
I will post when I hear back from them.

81 - 100 of 197 Posts