AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
More work on the piggyback camera project.

I weighed my Giroptic360 and it just weighed 180 Grams so much lighter than the VUZE at 450 grams or about 1 pound according to the specs.

A test of the lift power of the dji Mavic Pro shows it can lift 2.3 pounds and still maintain steady control. I saw the Phantom 3 began to go out of control with 1.7 pounds of lift. But at 3 pounds the drone went crazy and smashed into the ground. I think I will be safe with 1 pound but I will test that for sure before doing anything at altitude.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Don, is the onboard front facing camera removable? That would reduce some weight. Although it might become unstable.
No! Besides that camera and the motors on the stabilizer don't weigh much at all. I would guess 20 grams. The heaviest part is the main battery on the drone.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Tripod masking is a real challenge, cameraman far more of a challenge. Yesterday I was helping my daughter photograph a real estate listing and the tripod mask for the 360 cam is easy enough to do but I had to set the camera on time delay and then run and find a place to hide so I wouldn't be in the shot. 360 is definitely a challenge to shoot.

Who knows where we will be going with this new genre. I only know we are in the very early stages of figuring it all out.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Well, that was odd, I just posted and blew out one of the Avsforum databases according to the error.:eek: Anyway, I will try again.

Tom, could you use a selfie stick poked through a small umbrella of sorts with the camera at the end of it. That way you would not show up in the video, just a blank floor spot. Maybe even a round piece of cardboard over your head---you could do a kickstarter and invent something...:D. When I read that you had to run and hide, it cracked me up... Even that robot camera is going to need something under the cameras to be shielded from view.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Well, that was odd, I just posted and blew out one of the Avsforum databases according to the error.:eek: Anyway, I will try again.

Tom, could you use a selfie stick poked through a small umbrella of sorts with the camera at the end of it. That way you would not show up in the video, just a blank floor spot. Maybe even a round piece of cardboard over your head---you could do a kickstarter and invent something...:D. When I read that you had to run and hide, it cracked me up... Even that robot camera is going to need something under the cameras to be shielded from view.
I did crouch down half inside my tripod when shooting on the beach. No place to run and hide, unless I would dive under the surf for 15 seconds. Inside the house is where I did run and hide in the next room. Since I could not raise the camera very high up, the black circle did not cover me. On the beach I had my pole extenders on the tripod for a 10 ft. camera height.

These 360 cameras do not shoot the full sphere, except a couple of the old GoPro spheres. The sacrifice a circle straight down so you already have a black empty spot that covers the tripod. The Giroptic360 has an option to insert your own graphic in that circle. While that can be done before shooting you can't do it after the shoot in camera. So I have been trying to figure out how to use PD15's 360 title editing to add it to the black bar. There are two presets they have and these are called "Tripod mask" But like most things in PD15 for 360, the tools are there but no instructions on how to, so you are on your own. I plan to research this on YT and other sources soon. It will be a good tool to have if it works as expected. I figured out how to add text, but the logo jpg is all distorted and won't locate in the black circle. I believe it is an aspect ratio problem I need to figure out.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Good successful test run, finally!

I think I am ready for the Vuze 3D camera when it gets here.

Reactions: 3DBob

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
I think I am ready for the Vuze 3D camera when it gets here.
Just got e-mail my Vuze camera should be here next Wednesday. Hope the Humaneyes stitching software will run on my computer. That may be the next challenge. Then once stitched, I hope it will edit in PD15. Being an early adopter is not fun, just exciting.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Most of the reviews are negative because the people don't understand VR format. They think because the camera is 4K it should look 4K in VR. That is not the case. The entire frame with in flat is 4K but the window you are seeing is only a fraction of that, so it's better than SD or 480p but not even 2K. My gyroptic is more like 600 pixels wide window, but the cameras produce a 2K frame. So by advertising the resolution of the flat image which you don't ever watch, the marketeers of the technology are presenting a false impression opf the present state of the art.

So today I took delivery on the Vuze camera that uses 8 2K camera pairs that offers 4K per eye in 3D. But the viewing window is only 1K pixels wide! That's my math which I believe is accurate. They don't say that. Like the others everything is the pixels of the stitched 8 2K cameras.

The camera does not stitch internally like the Giroptic360. So the first step is to send a file of the 8 cameras to special stitching software that is designed to stitch just the Vuze configuration of cameras. I only have one computer that is capable of running this and it is my Surface Pro. It is not compatible with my older windows, nor does it recognize the older processors or older GPU. But not to worry, it runs fine and is just a little slow. 1 minute 3D video takes about 25 minutes to stitch to a flat 2:1AR T/B 3840x1920 30p 2:1 AR is favored by YT but I could use the full frame and render to 3840x2160 with a mask logo. The render time to stitch is fine for now because nothing I do requires a deadline.

The stitching software has lots of nice features to make tweaks to the clip including increasing dynamic range for shadow detail, stitch seam correction, trimming heads and tails, adding a mask to cover the tripod, image flip for shooting inversion for camera suspension from a drone plus a few others. One flaw I do not like is that the render output has to go to the C drive which limits my file size and batch render. I just don't have that much capacity on my surface pro. I have a 256GB E drive but I get an error message that rendering to a removable drive is not supported. Hopefully they will fix that in the future.

So once rendered I get a 3D TB MP4 that loads into Power Director for editing to add other clips and graphics. I just started to experiment with this and my first attempt to use the 360 clip like the Giroptic 360 failed. I'm thinking that PD15 does not support editing 3D 360, just 2D 360. Hope I'm wrong about that. I'mm be doing more work to solve these problems in the next few days.

As far as the image quality is concerned, it does look much better than the Giroptic360 on indoor shooting. Haven't tried it outside yet due to the weather.

The upload of a PD15 render with 360 configuration played well on YT with navigation, but failed with 3D. The video was just 2D. I up[loaded the raw file from the stitching software and this played fine in 360 VR 3D. The cameras are spaced 60mm so getting too close up will create a double image in 3D. The manual says to stay no closer than 1 meter to nearest object, but 1.5 - 2 meters looks fantastic 3D depth.

Basically, the system works and is not too awkward. Just have a few details to work out but I hope to have a first 3D look for you all shortly. In the meantime there is plenty of YT stuff done from this camera already. Nobody is saying what 3D 360 editing video they are using, so I am pretty much on my own.

Reactions: 3DBob

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
161 - 180 of 197 Posts