AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to put all of my mp3 files on a hard drive and listen to them on the XBox 360 and i was going to get an external hard drive to hook up to the Xbox, but i heard some people saying that the max it will support is like a 30gb hard drive externally - is this true? - if so that wont even support 1/5th of my mp3s!

·
Registered
46 Posts
They may be referring to a Windows XP limitation that can only FORMAT a FAT32 partition less than 32GB. (Microsoft wants you to use NTFS.) If you use another OS (98, Me), or partition/format software (PartitionMagic), you have no problem formatting a much much larger FAT32 drive.

Also, the Windows XP limitation only applies to formatting. It has no problem accessing a much larger FAT32 drive.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
The guy already answered that question. He wants them local on the 360.

If you stream, you have to have your PC booted up for one thing, maybe he doesn't want that. Another thing, streaming can be unrealiable depending on your own personal network equipment, environment, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they had a streaming software that would work on linux i wouldnt mind.

My main computer is windows, but i dont want to leave it on all the time.

I do have a webserver computer at my house that i use for storage since it has just under 1tb of space, it has all my mp3 files on it - but it is a linux based OS.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0

If they had a streaming software that would work on linux i wouldnt mind.

My main computer is windows, but i dont want to leave it on all the time.

I do have a webserver computer at my house that i use for storage since it has just under 1tb of space, it has all my mp3 files on it - but it is a linux based OS.

Actually, there are several UPnP streaming server apps for Linux and Mac.

They run just fine with the 360.

Do a google search for UPnP Linux and you'll find some.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/0

I've hooked up a 240GB drive.

The only restriction is that it be formatted in Fat32.

I have a 160gb drive hooked to the rear USB port on my 360, it's full of songs and pictures. The 360 has no problem recognizing any of the content on the drive.

-JR

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question...can the external drive be used on saving games?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrmx01 /forum/post/0

Sorry for the dumb question...can the external drive be used on saving games?

Not dumb.

Its one of the most-requested enhancements.

So far, 360 treats all external storage (network or USB) as read-only.

Basically, 360 is viewed by MS as a playback device.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Plug it In, Plug it In.

Oh...actually there is one caveat: the drive must be formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. So the biggest single file on there will be no greater than 4 gigs.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

Are they external hard drives that you can daisy chain the wireless adaptor to? I don't want to remove the wireless adaptor or have an ugly wire running to the front of the 360.

Some.

But its way cheaper to buy a cheap unpowered USB hub.

I have one with 4 ports; $10.

Works fine.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.