AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 36XBR400. I have a Gamecube hooked up via component inputs to my tv. When I engage the progressive mode on the compatible GC games (mario sunshine for example) most are in 4:3 fullscreen. Is the XBR400 capable of displaying progressive images in a fullscreen 4:3 ratio, or does it have to be 16:9 with the XBR's anamorphic squeeze feature engaged? I'm confused.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I believe if the signal is 480p, it willallow you to choose normal or squeezed. If it is 1080i, I think it will auto squeeze. I don't know of any way around this. I'n not sure what kind of signal the Game Cube sends.

EJ

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gamecube does 480p on some games. i'm wondering if a 480p signal can be 4:3 though. does the anamorphic squeeze feature have to be on in order for progressive signals to be displayed?

·
Registered
57 Posts
A 480p signal can be either 640x480 in a 4:3 aspect ratio, or 720x480 in a 16:9 aspect ratio. The Sony XBR sets have a menu option called 16:9 enhanced, which you can set to either "on" or "auto". This basically detects 16:9 480p material, and the TV will display it with the black bars at the top and bottom.

I have a Sony KV-40XBR800, and with my XBox using component outputs, there are some games that will work in 16:9 and 480p. In my XBox, I had to go into the Microsoft dashboard first and tell it my TV was a "widescreen" television, and also tell it that my TV supports 480p. Now certain games are widescreen. I actually prefer for them to be 4:3, and not widescreen, so I changed it back, but YMMV. On certain games like first person shooters it may be advantageous to use widescreen, simply because you have a wider field of vision.

The anamorphic squeeze (16:9 enhanced, as it is called in the menu) function does not have to be on in order to display 480p material. You can leave it set to Auto and it will determine from the source material whether or not it is necessary to squeeze it. If the source is 720x480, you'll get the squeeze.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
On the XBR400 series (I have a 36XBR400) when 480p content is fed to the set (via component input) you have to manually set the squeeze...it will not enter that mode automatically (only on 480i or 1080i sources).

So, you can view it how you like it....but squeezed will require an extra step.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.