Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I own a 36XBR400 and I saw the following post from an HDTV forum:

I bought a Sony XBR400 36" HD ready and when I run an sattelite HD signal to it, it looks much like the rest of the channels. I read somewhere that Sony does not use the 1080i like "real" HD TVs. Has anyone heard of this with the Sonys? Thanks.[b/]

Is this true?? Anyone please confirm. Thank you

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure what you meant by not using 1080i. The 36XBR400 is capable of recieving a 1080i HD signal, but because of its coarse apererture grille (the vertical lines you can see on the face of the tube) it can only display about 600 lines horizontally, which is not enough to really qualify as High Definintion. There are RPTVs at the same price level that can display 1200 lines horizontally.

Also, you have to sit about 5-6 feet from the screen - any closer and you can see the aperture grille, any further away and you won't be able to see what little extra resolution the set does have.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, it has true 1080i. Yes, the resolution is lower than other RPTV's. BUT, the picture is fantastic in DirecTV HD, OTA HD, and any form of DVD.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeringto,

What set do you have? XBR400? I do and cannot see any vertical lines??

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nobody has suggested that grodri02 has his receiver connected correctly. I have an XBR400 and I can tell the diference between SD and HD without thinking twice.

Connected correctly through one of the two component inputs an HD signal will automatically make the set go into squeeze mode and the picture will fill the screen from left to right with gaps at the top and bottom. SD signals will have bars on the right and left.

480p will do the same, even through the S-video input if you tell the source your TV is 16:9. You need to make sure the output on the receiver is set for 1080i.

Even with the 'limited' horizontal resolution an HD picture is obviously superior to anything else. Yes, I can see the grill, particularly in the CBS eye.

If I had the money I would have a separate home theatre with the latest DLP technology with the new DMD chips . And my 3 children would not be away at college, but working to support my TV habit. But the XBR fits well in the den, where we sit between 6 and 9 feet away.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I agree with tombarry. I've got an xbr400. It's about as big and as expensive a set as I can have at home. I know I don't see the full 1900 pixel horizontal resolution of a 1080i picture. But, the picture is sure a lot better than I get from DirecTV. Frankly, I don't think there is any TV/receiver combination which meets the digital standards. I'm not convinced that an analog receiver-to-display signal is the best way to go. I think we'll see lots of changes in the next few years. My xbr400/hd100 combo is my interim solution. Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.