AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the 36XBR450 in my local electronics store for the first time yesterday. When I inquired as to what's different from my 36XBR400 I was told "Sony cleaned up the problems with 480I inputs"!

I would be the first to agree that 480P from my DVD or 1080I from my HD100 produce beautiful pictures but 480I from my T60 Tivo is pretty bad. I know that Directv compression contributes to the problem but a lot of it is with the 36XBR400.

Has anyone heard that Sony will provide some type of "upgrade" to the XBR400 to bring it up to spec with the 36XBR450?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Manufacturers in general just do not go and retrofit previous years models. You can wish for it, but it ain't gonna happen ...

New models always include evolutionary improvements. It is the nature of the beast.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Isn't one of the major differences between the 400 and the 450 the 3:2 reverse pulldown in the latter? And possibly Firewire ports?

Ought to be interesting to compare with the Panasonic Tau HX41 sets.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wonder if these "upgrades" made it into Sony's KV-36HS2, which is supposed to be the same TV as the XBR400, but with a new model number...

I hope so, because I just bought one. It is supposed to be delivered Monday. Anyone know of anything specific I should look for?

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the 36XBR400 and am satisfied with everything except DirecTV local channels and other non priority channels. Fuzzy due to DirecTV compression and the DRC circuit which upconverts 480i---960i--you can't shut this circuit off. Why not wait for the XBR700--which is a 40" screen and has DRC and also "cinemotion"--3:2 pulldown. I saw a demo of it's sister the XBR 450 at the NY Hi-Fi show this spring and it looked great. The 700 has this circuit also and may have firewire-they just showed a prototype at the show(the back of the unit was blank).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I've heard the HS series DOES NOT support 3:2 pulldown.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.