AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 36XS955.

I tried connecting it to my upscaling DVD player (a Toshiba SD5000) over HDMI, and turning on the upscaling, but it seemed that it couldn't lock onto the signal. All I got was a weird purple blur. Of course, this is likely the DVD player's fault, because it's a piece of garbage all around.

I also tried connecting it to my PC using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Setting my video card (an ATI Radeon 9800) to output 1080i, the TV seemed to recognize the signal as 1080i, but all I got was a blank picture. On 720p, I got a picture, but it was significantly cut off on all four sides. Looking on Google, I saw another person reporting the exact same problem, but they didn't get any answers.

So, my questions: 1) Can anybody name me an inexpensive upscaling DVD player that is confirmed to work with this TV over HDMI? I don't want to risk wasting my money. 2) Does anybody have a solution for using my PC over HDMI with the Radeon 9800? Is there some other setting I missed? Are there any other video cards this works with?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deuce /forum/post/14197457

I recently bought a used 36XS955.

So, my questions: 1) Can anybody name me an inexpensive upscaling DVD player that is confirmed to work with this TV over HDMI? I don't want to risk wasting my money. 2) Does anybody have a solution for using my PC over HDMI with the Radeon 9800? Is there some other setting I missed? Are there any other video cards this works with?

Do you really need an HDMI upscaler? I use an IODATA LP2 network player hooked up via the component input into my 36XS955. The TV itself does an outstanding job upscaling regular DVDs with a good selection of DRC controls. That network player can be hacked to allow upscaling but I have never done it as the TV does a fine job itself. Plus with that player you get the ability to stream 1080i transport stream files over the network (wired connection is what I have - doubt that wireless would work well but maybe wireless N).

http://www.igsshop.com/product_info....7dd7e189b8cbb2

If you really need or want HDMI upscaling you could get an IODATA Pro HD unit (the JVC model). This still has the network streaming capability as well but costs slightly more than the LP2.

http://www.igsshop.com/index.php?cPa...7dd7e189b8cbb2

I have a Pro-HD unit but am using it to feed analog via the DVI pins to my RCA 36 inch direct view versus the Sony because it is one of the few DVD/network players that has an RGB transcoder built in. (However - when using the DVI output it will not output unless it sees an HDCP display such as your SONY - so I switch it to 480i to watch DVDs (which is infrequent) and watch over component. Point is you could use it directly using the DVI output for DVDs and still have a network player. The analog output via DVI would be useless but available.

Both can work for you but I would spend the extra $20 for the pro unit.

On item 2 don't know why you are having a problem - other than you have to factor in that the set autosqueezes all the scan lines into a 16:9 window anytime it sensed 1080i or 720p. So remember you are actually dealing with a 33 inch diagonal 16:9 display if you send it 1080i or 720p. Perhaps the tv would like a component signal better out of the ATI - but either should work. Mine always worked the few times I had a computer hooked up to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts