AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been shopping around in anticipation Profit Sharing from work this year. Turns out it was a little less than I was hoping for, so the XBR is now out of my price range.

Looking at the 36xs955, it seems to also have Super Fine Pitch. Does this set indeed have as nice a picture as the XBR? I understand that the XBR has better DCR, so perhaps the SD PQ would be a tad lower? What about HD? Would it be as good?

It is so hard to tell at CC, which at least online claims to carry both, as the signals they send to the sets are horrible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jobi Wan Kenobi

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have both the 36xs955 and the 30xs955. to my eyes, the pq is the same on both sets. the xs955 is basically the xbr with a few less features, so the answer to your questions would be yes, the pq should be the similar on both.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
yeah the unzoomed, unstretched image will be same for HD content across the XS/XBR line

the SD content I suppose could be a tad better on the XBR, but I think looks great on my XS when not stretched/zoomed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
yeah the unzoomed, unstretched image will be same for HD content across the XS/XBR line

the SD content I suppose could be a tad better on the XBR, but I think looks great on my XS when not stretched/zoomed
with a good feed, 4:3 sd pq is better on my xs955's than on my prior sd tv set (32 toshiba). on the 36xs955 with good signal/feed, the sd pq of 4:3 content is only slightly inferior to the 4:3 hd zoomed (and the extra screen space is nice to have). i don't use the strecth mode at all, so i can't say if there are any differences between the 36 and the 30 xs955 using those modes.

overall, i don't regret the decision to go with the 36xs955 instead of the 34xs955.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur
Also, XBR has a 2/2 year warranty vs. 1/90 (I think) warranty for the XS line.
True, though given the price difference you can call SonyStyle and get a 3/3 year on the 36xs955 for $89.99

W

·
Registered
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy420
True, though given the price difference you can call SonyStyle and get a 3/3 year on the 36xs955 for $89.99

W
Wow, didn't know that! I was strongly considering the 36 incher at first, but I like all of the bells and whistles that you get with the 34XBR, particularly the built-inn QAM tuner and the firewire. If I could add a 3 year warranty onto the XBR, that would make it even better!

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
It's a pity Sony doesn't treat their XBR line (at least) like their ES line of products: 5 year warranty right out of the box.

They should.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.