Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I need some opinions on which 37 inch model to purchase. I have narrowed it down to the following 2 models:

Sharp's LC 37GB5U and the Panasonic's TH-37PX50U.

I was going to purchase the 42 incher Panasonic TH-42PX50U

Panasonic TH-42PX50U, but it would have been to close to the living couch.

I plan on hooking an X-Box and Digital TV from Time Warner if that helps in deciding.

Any help or opinions you guys and girls can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05
Hello everyone,

I need some opinions on which 37 inch model to purchase. I have narrowed it down to the following 2 models:

Sharp's LC 37GB5U and the Panasonic's TH-37PX50U.

I plan on hooking an X-Box and Digital TV from Time Warner if that helps in deciding.

Any help or opinions you guys and girls can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I think it comes down to personal preference as well as the conditions or environment the TV will be used in. I gave the 37" and 45" LCD TVs a serious look when i decided to get a plasma and i came to the conclusion that both technologies look good, but in different ways. I found that i prefer the plasma's smooth creamy "CRT-like" image and deeper blacks over the LCD which looks kinda "digital", like a big computer monitor. To my eyes, the LCD is somewhat soft in comparison and seems "over-illuminated" if that makes any sense. The plasma image simply looks more natural to me.

Alternately, there are lots of guys here that prefer the LCD's image over plasma. I do like the image on a LCD, but i just like the plasma's image more. If my living room were any brighter and i was home during the daytime i might have bought an LCD instead of my plasma but most my TV watching is at night or early weekend mornings and the plasma just feels more comfortable to watch. Another thing to consider is if there's any windows on the opposing wall that will be reflected in the screen - i think the LCD's screen is less reflective than the plasma glass plus it's extra brightness would probably overpower the reflections. My plasma is in front of my big windows so i have no reflection problem but some people place their TVs on opposing walls and all you see is windows. When the sun is beaming into the front windows it lights up the whole room and i can see the white walls reflected in the screen and all this room brightness kinda washes out the image, but in these times i simply lower my mini blinds and that solves everything.

I have TWC digital cable w/HD package and almost all of my SD channels look excellent on my 42PX50U. My SD reference point is commercials which always look good. Most of em are almost DVD quality on the local SD channels and digital SD tier. The specialty shows and commercials on Speedchannel could pass as DVD quality - they're that clean and sharp. They'd probably look even better on the smaller 37PX50U. I do get a good clean cable signal though so that helps a lot. HD looks excellent of course.

FWIW i have a 15" Sharp LCD TV on my desk and a new 20" Sharp LCD TV in a bedroom and i like the image quality just fine, but if they made plasmas this small i'd probably go that route too :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Eric,

I am with Randy, it all comes down to personal preference. I currently own a cheap LCD to tide me over till the Plasma I want is released.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm not an expert, so let's get that out of the way. But I have gleaned a lot from the forum here lately, particularly as the benefits of plasma and LCD's are concerned. And, of course, their weaknesses.

What is missing from the responses you've gotten thus far is, I think, an acknowledgement of the fact that you want to do gaming on this thing. From what I've been reading, you'd do well to do the LCD option if gaming is important.

If it were for just plain tv/dvd viewing, most often I see plasma recommended.

My gut is telling me that LCDs are getting a lot closer to plasma lately in picture quality, and you certainly can't go wrong with the Sharp for an LCD.

I don't know if you looked at the Westinghouse 37" LCD thread, but I'd give that a look, too. Most people who have used it already for pc/gaming applications say it's absolutely outstanding. Plus, it's true hi-def resolution at 1080p is better than even Sharp is doing now, without workarounds.

So my answer to you is that I'd be choosing LCD at this point, and my decision would be more along the line of "Sharp or Westy?"

Good luck.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster
What is missing from the responses you've gotten thus far is, I think, an acknowledgement of the fact that you want to do gaming on this thing. From what I've been reading, you'd do well to do the LCD option if gaming is important.
Gaming has a couple of factors, depending on what kind of games you play. If you are playing RTS and Turn Based Games, then you could use a 16ms Response Time and might even get away with 25ms Response Time. If you are looking at FPS or any other fast action, then you want to have a 16ms to 8ms Response Time.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The 19" LCDs are able to give the 8ms Response Times, and FPS look great on them, no ghosting what so ever. (My recommendation for this is the Hyundai L90D+)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for giving me all this information to digest! Since I am planing to hook up an x-box and maybe my pc as well, I am probably going to get the Sharp LCD this Saturday then.

On a side note does anyone know what type of output Time Warner Digital TV Box offers? I am assuming they do not have a HDMI output. If that is the case should I go get a dvd player with a HDMI output option?

This place is the best :D

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05
......I am probably going to get the Sharp LCD this Saturday then.

On a side note does anyone know what type of output Time Warner Digital TV Box offers? I am assuming they do not have a HDMI output. If that is the case should I go get a dvd player with a HDMI output option?
It totally depends on what kind of HD STB you're talking about. TWC uses a lot of different types around the country so you have to find out exactly which one(s) they offer in your area. Some only have component outputs. Others have DVI but it's not active. Gotta identify the STB

Have you considered getting an HD DVR instead? It comes in real handy to record HD programming that's on at odd hours (like daytime when you're at work or the middle of the night when you're asleep). If it weren't for my HD DVR i would not be able to catch hardly any HD cause it's on at weird times. Primetime network stuff is another story, but it's nice to time-shift all this as well. If you can get an SA8300HD you've got a winner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Eric,

Having owned a 37" LCD and the 37PX50U I would also add that the Xbox on the plasma produced a better picture than on the LCD I had... depending on the resolution the game was running at.

If you've played a game on a PC LCD at a lower resolution than what is native to the screen you'll notice that it doesn't look all that great (pic is soft and blocky). The Panasonic, while not perfect, had better pic quality at lower resolutions than on the LCD I had. Given the fact that plasmas are also fixed pixel displays, the picture does look scaled and not quite as crisp as a CRT.

However, if you are PC gaming at a high resolution, looking to upgrade to Xbox360, or playing a game on Xbox that runs at 720p than the LCD will give a brighter, better picture, IMO, than the plasma.

Pick your poison. :)

Cory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Randy,

I have not thought about getting a HD DVR yet. I just finished renovating my apt and I am running low on cash. However, I saved enough to get my flat screen. My girlfriend is wondering where I am getting the money to get this screen. I had it planned like 4 months ago hahaha :) .

Well it seems like both the Panny plasma and the Sharp LCD both have it pro's and con's. I can't really go wrong with either one.

Oh Cory thanks for reminding about the Xbox 360! I almost bought a used Xbox yesterday because it was on sale. I am going to wait now. Thank you for that!

Thanks again guys,

-Eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was looking at both of these and I agree with RandyWaters with regard to environment. I liked both, but went with the Sharp 37GD4U (last gen) because I am in a very brightly lit room (Nearly all windows and two very large skylights. The LCD tends to perform better in a very light/bright environment.

Otherwise I was like you in that I was constantly debating which I liked better, thank goodness my house made the decision for me. Good luck with either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm considering purchasing the Panasonic TH-37PX50U. I have seen it at Circiut City and the picture looks great.

Here is my question: Is there any truth that when using component inputs with cable or satellite feed with HD, that the zoom and/or just modes are non functional? Will I be able to view HD in 16:9 full screen or stuck with letter box or 4:3.

Thanks,

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.