AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 37' lcd tv (unless someone can convince me why I shouldn't) around mid march and I'm working with a $500 budget(can probably go up $50 more if necessary). It seems however that there are a lack of 37' lcd tv's for this price at 1080p. I was hoping to get a good name brand (Samsung,etc) but I'll be realistic. I will mainly use this in the living room for playing my Nintendo Wii and watching sd dvd's on a upconvert player and watching tv on my dvr (may get hd dvr). I checked my local craigslist and a guy is selling some 40' lcd's from sharp & toshiba at 1080p at my budget price. Should I go that route or try a higher end 37' for that price? Currently on 32' lcd sylvannia at 720p my brother got for xmas and unless the show is bright it looks horrible to me. There is way too much blur when I try to watch Medium and they are moving on the screen. He likes it though.

Thanks for any advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts
In order to resolve 1080p on a 37" TV, you have to be sitting less than 4.8ft away from it. Get a 720p !!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
You can do 2 things, go for a LCD with at least 120hz (at the Sylvannia blur) or buy a Plasma, for your use of wii and DVD movies, you is either a 720p plasma, unless you really want 1080p, but as pueds see in the picture, we must be closer to enjoy the 1080p to 100%.



You multliply the size of the TV by 1.5 times to get the right distance to the 1080p, if you multiply by 2.5 will give you the distance to the 720p. For example, I have my LCD samsung 40A650 to 7 feet and a little more for 720p and approach to 5 feet for the 1080p (some PS3 games, PC, Bluray and videos downloaded from internet).


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveDeus_mx_AVF /forum/post/18181718


You can do 2 things, go for a LCD with at least 120hz (at the Sylvannia blur) or buy a Plasma, for your use of wii and DVD movies, you is either a 720p plasma, unless you really want 1080p, but as pueds see in the picture, we must be closer to enjoy the 1080p to 100%.



You multliply the size of the TV by 1.5 times to get the right distance to the 1080p, if you multiply by 2.5 will give you the distance to the 720p. For example, I have my LCD samsung 40A650 to 7 feet and a little more for 720p and approach to 5 feet for the 1080p (some PS3 games, PC, Bluray and videos downloaded from internet).



So you're saying plasma has no blur at all and is better suited for what I want to do? My chair is about 11 ft from the tv so that's my viewing distance. I just wanted 1080p to have a "true" hdtv as I don't plan on buying a blu ray player anytime soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
I wouldn't buy from someone on Craigslist. What if you need warranty service?


The major shortcoming of plasma is the highly reflective screen. Plasma often doesn't do well if there is a lot of ambient light. If you have window shades, you may be able to enjoy a plasma.


See if any of your local stores have 42 inch 720P Panasonic plasma.


On second thought, if you want a really bright screen, plasma may not do it for you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon /forum/post/18183655


My chair is about 11 ft from the tv so that's my viewing distance.

With a 32" TV from 11ft, there is no point whatsoever to use anything but a standard definition 480p TV!! You will see no difference in resolution between 480p, 720p or 1080p.
Quote:
I just wanted 1080p to have a "true" hdtv as I don't plan on buying a blu ray player anytime soon.
I don't have any idea what you mean by that statement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
OP for that budget, and going by the average seating distance, you can probably get away with a good name brand 42" 720P set on clearance.


Otherwise if you are trying to future-proof yourself, and vary your seating distance(s) often, then 1080P may not be unreasonable in your situation. I personally don't follow those seating distance charts like bibles, my eyes can easily tell the difference a foot or two past what the chart says. They are useful as starting reference points, but if you have perfect vision then you can slap an additional foot or two on them imho.


If you plan on buying in mid-march, then begin deal hunting a week or so prior. This is liquidation time for older models so you should be able to pick up a top tier brand name at a clearance price.


Edit: just noticed the 11ft distance you posted. May as well go with the 42" 720P clearance set i mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/18183959


if you have perfect vision then you can slap an additional foot or two on them imho.

The resolution charts are based on 20:20 standard ('perfect') vision.


If you happen to be very young or very lucky, your vision may be better than that but you would be in the minority!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18184017


The resolution charts are based on 20:20 standard ('perfect') vision.


If you happen to be very young or very lucky, your vision may be better than that but you would be in the minority!

Funny that you mentioned they used the 20:20 standard, i was questioning what they used just as i was typing my statement.


I'm not exactly young, nor old, as my nick reveals
. But i do know my vision is at least 20:20 if not better. I have two 32" televisions next to me as monitors. The 1080P is nearly 3ft away, while the 720P is roughly 4 1/2ft away. But at equal distances of 5ft i can easily make out the resolution difference, 5 1/2' to 6ft hits diminishing returns, it but i since i know roughly what to look for, i can still make out the difference "somewhat". But i'm not a complete blockhead and realize it may just be my brain + eyes playing tricks at 6ft.


Sliding my task chair in certain places and swiveling the screens helps me perform this comparison with relative ease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/18184125


since i know roughly what to look for, i can still make out the difference "somewhat"

The chart is based on the extremely well researched field of ocular perception. Here's an article for you courtesy of the John Moran Eye center at the University of Utah.


Try the following experiment ( 1 )( 2 ):In the pic below you can see two faces. A normal face on the right and a wicked one on the left. Now get up from your chair and walk some 8 steps back and see the magic. The two faces interchange their positions.




This is a great example of when you can perceive the available resolution and when you can't. Up close, the fine lines (wrinkles) in the left picture are very apparent, but become smooth as you back away; the shadows under the squinted eyes look like the eyes. The fine lines defining the lips and eyes in the right picture become less apparent with distance and the shadows below the mouth become the mouth; the shadows above the eyes become part of the eyes.


To summarize, pretend you're viewing this picture on a HDTV and the picture and screen resolution is 1920×1080. You're getting the full benefit of 1080p if you sit close enough to your TV to see a wicked face on the left and normal face on the right. If you sit far enough away that you see a normal face on the left and a wicked face on the right, you could go with a lower resolution TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
^^^^ Great example.


I saw the transformation beginning to happen at 11ft, and at 12ft it's nearly fully transformed over. At 13ft the illusion becomes real.


All measured with a measuring tape...because i was really curious to know



Thanks for posting that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18183767


With a 32" TV from 11ft, there is no point whatsoever to use anything but a standard definition 480p TV!! You will see no difference in resolution between 480p, 720p or 1080p.
I don't have any idea what you mean by that statement.

I'm currently on a 32' tv but I'm buying a 37' or bigger. A true hdtv is a 1080p tv, that's what I meant. 720p isn't a "true" hdtv. As for now if I can swing it then I might try to wait for a clearance and a get a 42' lcd. I see some sites like compusa and circuitcity selling magnavox's at that size around my budget. Are they good tv's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon /forum/post/18189885


A true hdtv is a 1080p tv, that's what I meant. 720p isn't a "true" hdtv.

You are merely reciting some advertising slogan which isn't true.


The ABC, FOX and ESPN networks plus many other channels only broadcast in 720p which arguably is the superior choice (over 1080i) for sports and other fast-moving programs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18181492


Love the chart !!!


It SO shows 1080p is a total waste on a 32" sets for most people.

it also shows 1080p is a total waste for most people, period
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18189969


You are merely reciting some advertising slogan which isn't true.


The ABC, FOX and ESPN networks plus many other channels only broadcast in 720p which arguably is the superior choice (over 1080i) for sports and other fast-moving programs!

What about bluray?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon /forum/post/18190117


What about bluray?

Bluray's strength is its 1080p24 capability which can produce a pristine hi-def images *IF* your image size is large enough and/or your viewing distance is close enough to be able to discern that image.


You have stated several criteria in this thread:

* 32-42" display

* 11ft viewing distance

* no Bluray source
These criteria preclude you from getting any benefit from a 1080 display.


Put your hard earned money into the best 720p plasma set you can find and rest assured you will be maximizing its value.


Tell your friends it is 1080 if that helps! They won't be able to tell the difference either.



I helped my son buy a Panasonic 50" X1 at Christmas for these exact same reasons. He is thrilled with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon /forum/post/18189885


I'm currently on a 32' tv but I'm buying a 37' or bigger. A true hdtv is a 1080p tv, that's what I meant. 720p isn't a "true" hdtv. As for now if I can swing it then I might try to wait for a clearance and a get a 42' lcd. I see some sites like compusa and circuitcity selling magnavox's at that size around my budget. Are they good tv's?

Stay away from Magnavox, they are poor performers.


Some people call 1080P "full HD", and there is nothing wrong in wanting full HD. Whether you will see the benefits is another story. If you were planning on going BluRay it would make more sense to get 1080P.


Since your plans don't include adding BluRay, that does suggest that 720 P may be sufficient.


Again, as others have suggested, screen size/viewing distance is important to benefit from 1080P.


"The price premium for 1080P has shrunk but still runs $100 to $200 or so. When you're watching top-quality high-def soucrces like BluRay on a larger screen, say a 47 or 50 inch set, you'll notice the benefits more than you would on a 37 inch TV. You might see subtle improvements on smaller sets, especially up-close. On a small TV, 720P is all you need for regular viewing. But if you use the set as a computer display, 1080P will let you gee more content on-screen with greater clarity and finer detail on text and graphics."


"Bottom Line. If price isn't an issue, buy a 1080P set. For top value, get 720P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18190291


Bluray's strength is its 1080p24 capability which can produce a pristine hi-def images *IF* your image size is large enough and/or your viewing distance is close enough to be able to discern that image.


You have stated several criteria in this thread:

* 32-42" display

* 11ft viewing distance

* no Bluray source
These criteria preclude you from getting any benefit from a 1080 display.


Put your hard earned money into the best 720p plasma set you can find and rest assured you will be maximizing its value.


Tell your friends it is 1080 if that helps! They won't be able to tell the difference either.



I helped my son buy a Panasonic 50" X1 at Christmas for these exact same reasons. He is thrilled with it.

Thanks for the insight guys. I guess now it's just deciding between which maker and plasma vs lcd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/18183959


OP for that budget, and going by the average seating distance, you can probably get away with a good name brand 42" 720P set on clearance.


Otherwise if you are trying to future-proof yourself, and vary your seating distance(s) often, then 1080P may not be unreasonable in your situation. I personally don't follow those seating distance charts like bibles, my eyes can easily tell the difference a foot or two past what the chart says. They are useful as starting reference points, but if you have perfect vision then you can slap an additional foot or two on them imho.


If you plan on buying in mid-march, then begin deal hunting a week or so prior. This is liquidation time for older models so you should be able to pick up a top tier brand name at a clearance price.


Edit: just noticed the 11ft distance you posted. May as well go with the 42" 720P clearance set i mentioned.

Do you know any good stores to look into? So far I've been looking at Circuitcity, compusa, hhgregg, and bestbuy online. I know best buy has the price matching thing.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top