AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great forum!.

I'm looking to buy a plasma for the TV room which is kind of small, about 8 - 9 feet viewing distance. I have a max of 41 inches in width to work with.

I'm finding the TH-37PX60U and TH-42PX60U at about the same price.

The 42 inch has 1024 x 768 while the 37 has 1024 x 720.

Would the reduction of resolution make that big a difference?

Do you think the 42 inch would be too big for my situation?

Does anyone own the 37 inch that could tell me if it is worth buying?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRush /forum/post/0

Hi, great forum!.

I'm looking to buy a plasma for the TV room which is kind of small, about 8 - 9 feet viewing distance. I have a max of 41 inches in width to work with.

Nope. At closer viewing distance the 37" will look a little bit sharper because of the smaller pixels.

Quote:

Not IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:

Hi, great forum!.

Does anyone own the 37 inch that could tell me if it is worth buying?

Thanks.

2 things:

1. If 41" is the max width space you can use, the 42" is already disqualified. Its too wide for your spot.

2. The 37" has been discontinued so if you want it, try and grab it pretty quickly as its starting to disappear from stores already. Panasonic will NOT be making a new 37" consumer model. I definately recommend the 37" just buy it while you can.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV /forum/post/0

2 things:

1. If 41" is the max width space you can use, the 42" is already disqualified. Its too wide for your spot.

The 42PX60U is 40 1/8" wide.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

I'm looking to buy a plasma for the TV room which is kind of small, about 8 - 9 feet viewing distance. I have a max of 41 inches in width to work with. I'm finding the TH-37PX60U and TH-42PX60U at about the same price. The 42 inch has 1024 x 768 while the 37 has 1024 x 720. Would the reduction of resolution make that big a difference? Do you think the 42 inch would be too big for my situation? Does anyone own the 37 inch that could tell me if it is worth buying?

The 37" model does look crisper than the 42" but your viewing distance dictates at least a 42 incher (which i think is perfect), and others would even want a 50" at that distance for a more immersive movie threater effect (however i prefer more of a modest TV effect).

I also have an 8-9 foot viewing distance and my 42" is just right. Not too small, but not so big that it overpowers the living room. A 37 incher would have been too small, even to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I went to a few stores today to see the 37 in person but none had it.

It was for sale online but none displayed in the store.

I think I am leaning towards the 42 now.

The room this will going in is a small 12 x 12 (aprox) room that already has a computer and hutch in it. Along with a huge leather sofa that is about 8-9 feet from the current 27 inch TV in the corner.

I am buying room darkening blinds so I'm not worried about glare, and most TV is watched at night anyway.

I currently own the TH-42PX500U and absolutely love it!

I browsed this forum a long time before making that purchase

My viewing distance is 12 feet and it looks fine to me. Of course I do regret not going for the 50 inch now!

My next purchase for my place will be either the Panny 58 inch 1080p or Pioneer 1080p plasma.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I decided to go with the 42.

I can get the TH42PX600U for $200 more than the TH42PX60U.

Better speakers, more watts. Cable card slot (who cares)

SD slot. (I thought I saw it on the 60)

The 60 is 2 inches shorter and thinner. That extra bulk on the 600 is the subwoofers I assume?

I can squeeze the 600 in. Is it worth the extra 200?

The home theater system won't be used all the time so that is why I am considering it.

I like the pedestal stand better too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.