AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharp state the contrast of the 30" LCD at 500:1 but it measures ( http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/plasma4.html ) about 250:1 here, but sharp state the contrast of the new 37" model 800:1, so it may be around 400:1 in reality. Thats better than many plasmas.. has anyone seen this Sharp model.. is it any good?

"This monitor is a true diamond in the rough, and with expanded bandwidth and sync compatibility plus better white balance adjustments, it would be a great product" ... I wonder if Sharp will have new generations out by next year with better contrast, then LCD might be good enough for DVD viewing. Are sharp or any other of the companies planing on using LED backlighting??

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Can barely stand using them at work on spreadsheets and word documents, let alone watch a movie on one (the artifacts, "stepping" would make me tired real quick).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Keyser: Pete Putman's contrast ratio measurements are always lower than the manufacturer spces. I wouldn't read too much into those stats on the Sharp 30" because the plasmas also test out much lower than specs... Putman's 250:1 contrast -- measured -- is often good enough to produce a great picture.

Mark

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rich,

While using LCD screens for video is of variable quality depending on the specific LCD in question, I have yet to hear of anyone prefering any other type of screen for general computer usage. The perfect geometry and lack of flicker are perfect for extended usage. May I ask what it is about LCDs that you find bothersome for general document and spreadsheet editing?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Just doesn't "flow" well when I am scanning a spreadsheet. The scrolling causes my eyes to refocus alot and gives me a headache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.