AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you prefer a 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan or a 36" Direct View 16:9 TV that does not support progressive scan?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
BTW, can't you strech 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV?
Yes, you can.

Choosing between a 16:9 and 4:3, I guess it depends on what material you watch the most.

For me I watch 4:3 mostly. And I don't like the 16:9 stretchers because they all deform the picture and that annoys me. Also, movie formats don't all come in 16:9(1.85:1). They typically range from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1, so even if I had a 16:9 screen size I will still get the black bars sometimes.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello Kain

The sony has v-compression, another name for Auto 16:9 Enhanced Mode -- you can watch anamorphic dvds, just like with the widescreen, just a different screen size. I would think this a tremendous advantage to the sony, and has been very successful in the US. Don't see anything on stretch mode with the sony, but I'm not sure you really need it -- it distorts the picture to protect the screen from burn, and if you calibrate and keep the contrast down that should not be a problem. IMHO the sony is a much better alternative.

Regards, Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.