AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would do you prefer a 38" Direct View 4:3 TV that supports progressive scan or a 36" Direct View 16:9 TV that does not support progressive scan?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Why in the world would there be such a choice? 480p is a given these days.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Matt is right. I think the consensus here will be that no interlaced display will do.

--Jerome

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
How can you even consider a 4:3, haven't you ever seen widescreen, if you haven't you don't know what your missing! I own a RCA F-38310JX4 19 inches high by 33.75 inches width in screen view.

Seen from 5 feet away and connected by Silver Serpents from our sponser component cablesthe best cables in the world IMHO from 2 interlaced mega changers in August I will be buying a Sony DVD CX-875 300+1 with progressive scan that will play MP3. www.bettercables.com

BTW my WebTV is connected to HDTV by Silver Serpent S-vdeo cable, which I can see words forming on from the usual 5 feet distance. Home Theatre Web Browser in stretch that you wouldn't even know, if I didn't tell you what format I was using. :)

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
In your case, 4:3 sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Kain,

I agree with Matt. While I normally wouldn't consider being without a 16x9 unit, if you have nothing to watch in that format, then by all means this becomes a no brainer. The larger set has progressive scan which will be useful for dvds.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
IMHO, with 4:3 content still being the most widely used for OTA/Cable/Satellite signals (as well as some dvds), if you are on the fence about 16:9 tv's, a 4:3 set that does a proper "raster squeeze" is a good choice.

I purchased a 36XBR400 set for precisely this reason....good sized/quality 4:3 set for my family's 70% cable viewing, with a good widescreen mode for watching dvds and HDTV.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.