AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waffling between the Philips 34PW9818 and Loewe Aconda 9383 (graphite) for weeks now. If price weren't a factor, the choice would be easy--Aconda, best PQ I've seen, period. The extra 4" diagonal is icing on the cake. Of course, I'm not Bill Gates or Alex Rodriguez, so price IS a factor. Best price on the Philips is $2500, and my wife managed to talk the Loewe dealer into $3800 on the Aconda. Sure, the difference remains significant at $1300, but list on the Aconda is $5000. Seems like a good deal to me. I can afford either set, but obviously the Aconda leaves me with less $$$ to spend on DVDs, etc. Which would you choose, and why??

PS. Please, no "for that money you could get a 42" plasma replies." I live at 7000 feet and plasmas other than the ultra-expensive Revox models just don't work up here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dare I say it...The RCA 38" at Best Buy is $1500.00 with a $100.00 gift card, if price is an issue I'd go with the RCA.

Jay

·
Registered
198 Posts
that's great news, and a good price. I am also considering 38" unit what store did the deal for you. I read a previous post that mentioned that the 38" Aconda was going to be discontinued next year due to lack of sales $$. This may just be a good time to deal on this set and bring the price lower.

carlos_r

HTPC/ECP4100(mod)

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jayco59
Dare I say it...The RCA 38" at Best Buy is $1500.00 with a $100.00 gift card, if price is an issue I'd go with the RCA.

Jay
And... it already has a built in receiver (another ~$450 savings).

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Loewe set is WAY better than RCA's. But it IS overpriced. You have one HD input and no ATSC receiver built in. For 5 grand, you should have at least 2 component inputs and a ATSC receiver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jayco59

Jay
I meant Circuit City Not Best Buy...if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
UTSoxfan and Carlos,

I got my 38" Loewe Aconda Piano Black NIB at The Stereoshop in Greensburg, PA (really cool place with some fun toys) for $4,600 with this gorgeous BDI stand . The staff there are a great bunch of guys and their well-fortified theaters are fun to play with. I worked mostly with the actual owner of the place, who also did offer me $3,800 for the graphite Loewe.

Best of luck,

Dan

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTSoxFan
I live at 7000 feet and plasmas other than the ultra-expensive Revox models just don't work up here.
I don't mean to change the topic, but why don't plasmas work above 7,000 feet? Does the performance suffer?

EDIT: I did some searching and found the answer. For those of you looking for the answer, go to the Plasma thread and read the FAQ. They answer it there.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Dan, do you see any slight discoloration in either corner? On all the Loewe's I have sen, there is a very slight darking in the upper left corner, which some say is due to a magnectic field. Of course, I have yet to see this on the RCA set, so...???

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Matt,

Actually, I saw it on the display model I looked at in the upper-left corner the very first time it was powered up (on the blue screen). However, it didn't bother me much (the longer the TV was on, the less noticeable it became, and it was never really noticeable on anything except a field of uniform color, never with actual program material.) I haven't ever noticed it on the set I bought, though. It very well may be there, but given the fact that the display degausses itself every time it turns on, and that it's slight to begin with, I never noticed it.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.