AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. crutchfield now has the 3805 for $799.00. add $60.00 for the microphone and your still +$400 under the 3806.

i don't have hdmi for the tv.

is the sound set up on the 3806 worth the difference. what else does the extra $ buy ?

thanks.

have a safe NEW YEAR.

tim

·
Registered
174 Posts
First of all, the best way to compare the two is to go to Denon's site (sorry - I am told I must publish at least 5 posts before I can hyperlink or post a URL) and browse the products - you can checkmark the ones you wish to compare. As of tonight, Denon still has the 3805 listed on their product list online, so you can compare it to the 3806. The biggest difference is in features (HDMI, Audyssey MultEqxt, Satellite Radio capability, etc.) vs. actual sound quality, but there is speculation about whether Denon changed anything amp-wise (for the better or the worse) - and many in the various audio forums are awaiting the first published reviews of this receiver.

Having said that, let me tell you how I got one real cheap. I didn't plan this to happen this way - and perhaps your luck will be similar. I put a deposit on one of the last boxed 3805's at a local Tweeters store (authorized Denon dealers) a few weeks ago. It was on sale for $788. When I stopped in to pay the balance and take it home just a few days ago, it was mysteriously missing from their stockroom! The salesperson called all the other stores - not one boxed 3805 was around. At $788, they were snatched up very quickly. I am normally not a complainer, but I let the salesperson know I was upset - and the store offered me the 3806 (new and factory sealed) for $950. So upset was I about the 3805, I suggested they let me have it for $900 (I was tempted to say $788 but didn't!). Well, they agreed, and even as they were ringing me up, I was still upset about losing the deal with the 3805. It was only after I walked out of the store that I realized what a deal I just made. It was really a customer satisfaction issue, and kudos to Tweeters for putting customer satisfaction ahead of short-term profit. I'll be visiting them again for the DVD player and other speakers to complete my 7.1.

PS - I'm not sure if posting prices other than MSRP is allowed on this site - if not please let me know and I'll edit this post.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You placed a deposit on one item , then you go pick it up and it is gone and they offer you the newer model for more $$. That is Bait and switch, you fell for a very common move that many places pull on consumers.

A complaint should have been filed with your BBB, and you should have told them that. You did not end up with a product you wanted, you ended up with a product THEY wanted you to have.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bait and switch interestingly was what was going through my mind. I guess it came down to the simple fact that they ended up offering the 3806 for barely a hundred dollars more than the 3805 - and that had that offer been originally presented as an alternative offer to the 3805, I'd have gone for it anyways. The markdown from list that was ultimately made was similar for both models, so it seemed fair enough to me. However, tallman, I think you are correct. Think I should have held out for $788 on the 3806? Think I would have gotten it? Just curious...

I've been thinking I should put my deposit down on the DVD player and speakers now and wait for next years models to come out... ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stores cringe when you mention BBB, they either would have found you a 3805 or ate the $122 and gave you the 3806 as a small price to pay to avoid a BBB claim, especially when they were sure it was their mistake.

Still you made out ok with the 3806

·
Registered
174 Posts
I feel comfortable with accepting the 3806 for $900 - they certainly weren't taking advantage of me, and the fact remains it is a new model and does retail for $100 more than the 3805 did. I certainly thought it was fair enough - given a choice between the 05 for $788 or the 06 for $900, I'd have taken the 06 anyways. I could have milked the situation for an extra hundred, but the young lady who helped me select the 3805 in the first place was genuinely apologetic and obviously frustrated she could not locate that - or any other - 3805. She was a good salesperson, so I was a good customer in return.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman
You placed a deposit on one item , then you go pick it up and it is gone and they offer you the newer model for more $$. That is Bait and switch, you fell for a very common move that many places pull on consumers.

A complaint should have been filed with your BBB, and you should have told them that. You did not end up with a product you wanted, you ended up with a product THEY wanted you to have.
I think this worked out to a better dea for him:

3805 = $788+$60 (mic) + tax = approx. 940 or so

3806 = $900 (mic included) + tax = approx. 1000 or so

This was one HELL OF A DEAL!!!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat24
I think this worked out to a better dea for him:

3805 = $788+$60 (mic) + tax = approx. 940 or so

3806 = $900 (mic included) + tax = approx. 1000 or so

This was one HELL OF A DEAL!!!
11% sales tax, wow that is a lot. :eek:

BTW, the mic is $65.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman
11% sales tax, do they collect no Income tax, gas tax, tobacco tax,,,,,, in your state
I was just approximating around 10% tax - dont know which state he is from.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm from Pennsylvania. Gov. Rendell gets 6%.

Thinking back on this thread, it seems that Tweeters was certainly under no obligation to give me the 3806 for the same price - and while bait & switch could certainly be a possibility, I seriously doubt it was the case here. Jenn (she was a terrific salesperson) was genuinely upset that the box she tagged turned out to be empty. There was no attempt to try to sell me anything else, and it was only when I asked about the 3806 that she made the immediate offer to give it to me at $950 - hardly a profitable way to bait & switch. In fact I thought it was rather generous, especially when they did not haggle my request for $900. There are enough sleezy outfits around to destroy one's faith in honest business, but in this case I thought they struck a perfect balance between making a profit (I'm not against that, by the way - it keeps them around) and giving me a deal I think is about as good as one can get - especially from an authorized retail outlet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.