AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 3808ci since it was a really good deal and I need a receiver. I got my T45/C40/B15 package on Thursday. I know the B15s are rated to 80 watts, but the receiver is rated at 130w x 5. Am I going to blow my rear speakers? Do I need to find a receiver rated at around 75 watts per channel? Pardon my receiver ignorance
I still have time to return the receiver, so its not too late, I hope.

Tim

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the B15 can handle up to 80watts sustained but can absorb higher power peaks. Even at 80 watts, you're looking at over 108db at 3 meters. I doubt you'll be hearing much material at volume above that through the surround speakers. If you do, they'll likely be peaks and not sustained volume. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Most speakers are destroyed by underpowering, not overpowering. When the amp clips it creates very high frequency energy, far beyond what speakers can move in response to (mechanical limitations), so it all turns to heat and fries the tweeters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys. After posting, it finally occurred to me that power was the word to search for. Spent a lot of time reading through threads similar to mine - a LOT has been said about this. Makes me feel a LOT better. Plus, I am finally an owner of actual nice audio equipment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.