AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a 4x3 dvd to check if the 3910 would pillar box 4x3 material and it does. im not sure if anyone else has said this but if you put it in squeeze mode wala there it is. i personally dont use this but would like to share with those that do want to.the only neg is you have to change it back but its not a real big deal

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
kevinca1,

"...the only neg is you have to change it back but its not a real big deal"

Why do you have to change it back? I leave my 3800 in squeeze mode all the time while also leaving it in progressive mode. It then displays in pillarbox for all 4X3 and 1.66/1.85/2.35 WS OAR non-anamorphic. For all anamorphic it does not pillarbox. I don't know how it detects the difference, but it does it perfectly and automatically if left in squeeze mode - with me doing nothing. (I don't WATCH anything in pillarbox progressive once the 3800 detects it, however. I immediately switch my 3800 to interlaced mode for all 4X3 and 1.66/1.85/2.35 WS OAR non-anamorphic and let my display do the deinterlacing and scaling to fit it's 16X9 screen.)

Under what conditions would someone not want this ........ or doesn't a 3910 work this way?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
4:3 dvd's have 720 pixels horizontally if your using 480i/p output normally. If you use squeeze mode it literally squashes the picture horizontally and adds pillar borders, which means that you've squashed what was 720 pixels down to 400 pixels. The picure is therefore lower resolution horizontally. This however is not relivant if you using 720p or 1080i output as it is upscaling not downscaling. It should automatically switch between squeeze mode for 4:3 and non squeeze mode for anamorphic discs automatically because the dvd player can detect whether the picture is 4:3 or anamorphic.

In the UK we generally don't have this problem because our TV's do the aspect ratio switching, most of the time automatically, via scart pin 8 or by line 23 widescreen switching signal (a white mark above the active area of the picture). Unfortunatly neither of these methods work with progressive scan so we still have to use the TV remote to manually switch aspect ratios when using standard definition progressive scan. Using 720p or 1080i not very many TV's can switch aspect ratio so you *have* to use the "squeeze" mode if you want to watch 4:3 dvd's at the correct aspect ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.