AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Play 3D movies with my HTPC, I get 2 separate identical pictures on my HT Screen.

Sometime the 2 pictures is divided horizontally, some vertically.

I know this must be hardware problem, can I get explanation:

1. Why is the 2 separate pictures, why it is horizontal and some vertical?

2. What I can do to modified my HTPC to get the REAL 3D picture? My HTPC Graphic Card is ATI HD5870.

THANKS

·
Registered
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs
I Play 3D movies with my HTPC, I get 2 separate identical pictures on my HT Screen.

Sometime the 2 pictures is divided horizontally, some vertically.

I know this must be hardware problem, can I get explanation:

1. Why is the 2 separate pictures, why it is horizontal and some vertical?

2. What I can do to modified my HTPC to get the REAL 3D picture? My HTPC Graphic Card is ATI HD5870.

THANKS
The source content you are playing must either be side-by-side or top-to-bottom. What 3D playback software are you using to merge the source content?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo
The source content you are playing must either be side-by-side or top-to-bottom. What 3D playback software are you using to merge the source content?
I use VLC Player.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Why are you using VLC as a 3d decoder??

·
Registered
747 Posts
You have to manually set your Tv to side-by-side or top/bottom, i would assume.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My HTPC is 2D set up.

I just play some 3D movies mkv. format using my standard VLP player.

The two images is what I get.

Therefore I ask:

What I should do with my HTPC to get real 3D movie on the big screen.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht /forum/post/20856415

What TV? You may simply be able to set the TV to force 3D mode.

Alternatively, if say you need checkerboard (for DLP sets), Stereoscopic Player can output in that mode (as well as various others).

I use Epson EMP-TW3000 1080p projector on 133" screen.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER
The projector is not a 3D projector no?

If it is not, then what your experiencing is proper operation.
No. What do I need to get real 3D movies on my big screen in my Home Theater via HTPC ?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You need a 3D projector. The HTPC side can be tricky... I tried it and gave up on it.

But it sounds like right now, if you had a 3D projector it would be working?

There is an adapter from somebody that will allow a flicker prone form of 3D to be used with that projector.

I found it mush simpler to just add a 3D 720p projector with a 3DXL adapter.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/20857715

Yes I know that now. but what we should do at the HTPC/Source ?

VLC won't play be able to play 3D files. You need to use the stereoscopic player for mkv files. If you're trying to play Blu-ray disc or .iso you need Total Media Theater 5 or PowerDVD 11. In addition to actually having a 3D projector you need a 3D capable video card. Most recent cards will do 3D. Depending on what projector you get you will need 3D glasses that work with that projector or if you get an Nvidia card you can get the Nvidia 3D Vision kit.

My setup is an Acer H5360 projector, HTPC with an Nvidia 550ti video card and the Nvidia 3D Vision kit with 4 pairs of glasses. I rip my 3D Blu-ray to iso and play them with PowerDVD 11. I had issues TMT5 playing 3D so I had to switch. PDVD works great.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan /forum/post/20862093

VLC won't play be able to play 3D files. You need to use the stereoscopic player for mkv files. If you're trying to play Blu-ray disc or .iso you need Total Media Theater 5 or PowerDVD 11. In addition to actually having a 3D projector you need a 3D capable video card. Most recent cards will do 3D. Depending on what projector you get you will need 3D glasses that work with that projector or if you get an Nvidia card you can get the Nvidia 3D Vision kit.

My setup is an Acer H5360 projector, HTPC with an Nvidia 550ti video card and the Nvidia 3D Vision kit with 4 pairs of glasses. I rip my 3D Blu-ray to iso and play them with PowerDVD 11. I had issues TMT5 playing 3D so I had to switch. PDVD works great.

This means I have to change all hardwares in my HT room, from 3D Projector to HTPC Graphic Card and all the 3D Software as well.

I feel like switching from Laser Disc to DVD all over again . . .

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/20862294

This means I have to change all hardwares in my HT room, from 3D Projector to HTPC Graphic Card and all the 3D Software as well.

I feel like switching from Laser Disc to DVD all over again . . .

I would like to make a suggestion to you to simplify your life. If you want to watch great 3D and good 2D movies and broadcast 3D such as Directv, then forget the HTPC and the trial and error software and hardware installs and getting up to date drivers etc..

Get one of the 3D ready 720p projectors such as Optoma HD66 or Acer h5360, a 3D BluRay player, and a 3D converter such as the OPtoma 3DXL or VIP 3D Theater and then enjoy the movies. You are half the way there with your home theater already set up. With that installation you can come home at night turn the system on and be assured that the system will work time after time and not worry about whether the last updated driver installed on your HTPC will not conflict with other functions on the system - and believe me that frequently happens

Price it all out. You will be amazed at how relative in-expensive these components have become. Just an alternative for your consideration.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That is why many of us, added 3D to our current 2D setup. I only pull it out when I screen somethign 3D. Seriously, I got it going with 8 pairs of DLP link glasses for under $1K.... get an ultra short throw projector and it can sit in front of your front row.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.