AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, couple of months ago I bought an Onkyo receiver TX-SR707 which has HDMI 1.3 inputs . . . does this mean that if I if I purchase a 3D TV and 3D Blue Ray player I will not be able to pass the video through the recevier? IE, do I have to go out and look for a new receiver that has 1.4 HDMI to be able to watch 3D material?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
You will not be able to play 3D Blu-Ray disks in Full 3D HD unless your receive supports HDMI 1.4 input, output and pastrhough mode. You will be able to pass through lesser 3D modes such as Side by Side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstatesman89 /forum/post/18288842


Hello, couple of months ago I bought an Onkyo receiver TX-SR707 which has HDMI 1.3 inputs . . . does this mean that if I if I purchase a 3D TV and 3D Blue Ray player I will not be able to pass the video through the recevier? IE, do I have to go out and look for a new receiver that has 1.4 HDMI to be able to watch 3D material?

Thanks

For just using a 3D Blu-ray player as the source you could consider a Blu-ray 3D player with two HDMI outputs (e.g., Panasonic) that has one HDMI 1.3 output to send the audio to the AVR and a HDMI 1.4 output to connect to the 3D HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18288932


You will not be able to play 3D Blu-Ray disks in Full 3D HD unless your receive supports HDMI 1.4 input, output and pastrhough mode. You will be able to pass through lesser 3D modes such as Side by Side.

3D sources are only required to support one of the 3D modes and most BD players will likely only support the full resolution (1080p and 720p) "Frame Packing" format and not any of the reduced resolution 3D formats (which will be used for Directv and cable companies to introduce 3D channels).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
You will have to get one of the new Panasonic 3D blu-ray players. They have 2 hdmi ports on back to split audio and video so you could send audio to your hdmi 1.3 receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstatesman89 /forum/post/18288842


Hello, couple of months ago I bought an Onkyo receiver TX-SR707 which has HDMI 1.3 inputs . . . does this mean that if I if I purchase a 3D TV and 3D Blue Ray player I will not be able to pass the video through the recevier? IE, do I have to go out and look for a new receiver that has 1.4 HDMI to be able to watch 3D material?

Thanks

There are some potential work-arounds that MAY work. However, the Panasonic 3D BD player with 2 HDMI outputs is currently the only SURE thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat with a newer Denon receiver. I'm anxious to see how the PS3 will address 3d with a firmware upgrade. If it would happen soon to support 3D Blu-Ray, than it may be good enough with the 'lesser' format via 1.3 until more 3D content is around to justify the Panasonic device.


I can't find any teases on msrp for the Panasonic either, all I can find is the 300 version (not the 350)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstatesman89 /forum/post/18288842


...do I have to go out and look for a new receiver that has 1.4 HDMI to be able to watch 3D material?

No. In addition to BD players with dual HDMI outputs, you have two options: look for a receiver that supports 3D passthrough, or contact your receiver manufacturer to see if/when they'll have an update for your current receiver.


Don't look for only "HDMI 1.4", as it's clearly possible for a product to get HDMI-1.4 certified with no support for the optional 3D capabilities. Look for the feature, not for the number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r /forum/post/18290495


I'm in the exact same boat with a newer Denon receiver. I'm anxious to see how the PS3 will address 3d with a firmware upgrade. If it would happen soon to support 3D Blu-Ray, than it may be good enough with the 'lesser' format via 1.3 until more 3D content is around to justify the Panasonic device.


I can't find any teases on msrp for the Panasonic either, all I can find is the 300 version (not the 350)

If you have a PS3 (and want to keep it) the one sure approach is to run the PS3 HDMI direct to the 3D TV and use the optical audio out from te PS3 to the Denon. Of course, with this approach you can't use the lossless audio formats.


Another approach that MAY work is to use a powered HDMI splitter (such as this Monoprice unit . As these splitters pass the HDMI EDID data from the TV to the source on the first output connection, the PS3 should see the 3D data (regardless of HDMI version) and provide a 3D signal. Connect the 2nd HDMI out to your AVR.


As I say, this approach MAY (should?) work, but wait till you have a 3D display and the 3D update to the PS3 (plus a 3D BD) before buying the splitter. Monoprice has a 21 return policy (and they are good about it), so if it doesn't work out, you can return the splitter. But it looks like it probably will work.
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18288932


You will not be able to play 3D Blu-Ray disks in Full 3D HD unless your receive supports HDMI 1.4 input, output and pastrhough mode. You will be able to pass through lesser 3D modes such as Side by Side.

This is true about the Side-by-Side and other frame compatible 3D formats, such as top/bottom, line interleaved and checkerboard, but you will have to force the same 3D mode on your player and on your TV. Since there is not automatic signalling for the non-HDMI-1.4 3D modes, the TV can not announce its supported modes to the player, and the player can not signal which 3D mode it is sending to the TV.


HDMI 1.4 added this kind of signalling, in particular:

- The TV can announce in the EDID if it supports 3D, and which (HDMI 1.4) formats it supports.

- The player can announce which 3D format it is sending out to the TV.


Since your amplifier was built before HDMI 1.4 was released, it does not know anything about these 3D extension. Therefore, when it replicates your TV's EDID towards the player (it has to do that to add additional audio formats, and remove unsupported video modes), it will remove all 3D capabilities.


Same thing happens when your player is sending out the new 3D info frames in the HDMI signal. The amplifier does not know anything about these, and drops them from the re-transmission to the TV.


It gets even worse when you want to do the "frame packing" 3D modes, which you'll need for full resolution 3D. The amp does not know those, either, and will not work at all when encountering those timings.
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18292851


Another approach that MAY work is to use a powered HDMI splitter (such as this Monoprice unit . As these splitters pass the HDMI EDID data from the TV to the source on the first output connection, the PS3 should see the 3D data (regardless of HDMI version) and provide a 3D signal. Connect the 2nd HDMI out to your AVR.


As I say, this approach MAY (should?) work, but wait till you have a 3D display and the 3D update to the PS3 (plus a 3D BD) before buying the splitter. Monoprice has a 21 return policy (and they are good about it), so if it doesn't work out, you can return the splitter. But it looks like it probably will work.

This will probaly work with side-by-side and top-bottom 3D formats, which gives you half resolution per eye, but not with frame packing 3D with full resolution per eye. The splitter can not change the video timing of the HDMI signal, and the amp does not understand this timing.


Sony had stated that they will only support frame packing, but not side-by-side, top-bottom or checkerboard with the playstation firmware update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus /forum/post/18292919


This will probaly work with side-by-side and top-bottom 3D formats, which gives you half resolution per eye, but not with frame packing 3D with full resolution per eye. The splitter can not change the video timing of the HDMI signal, and the amp does not understand this timing.


Sony had stated that they will only support frame packing, but not side-by-side, top-bottom or checkerboard with the playstation firmware update.

As I understand it, the splitter is just an amp in regards to video data - it doesn't need to understand frame packing - it passes what it gets.
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18293300


As I understand it, the splitter is just an amp in regards to video data - it doesn't need to understand frame packing - it passes what it gets.

Yes, that is correct. But therefore the amp will get the same frame packing video signal as the TV, only that the amp does not understand the signal and can not extract audio from the blanking area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
If all of this is true, then how is it that the new Samsung and Sony 3D players both only have 1.3, yet they both state they will send full 3D signal to the TV for playback?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
No, I mean the blu-ray players, not the TVs. Both of them are spec'd to 1.3, not 1.4. Also, the PS3 is supposed to be fully compatable with a software update and it's 1.3 as well.


From what I've read elsewhere, the HDMI and 3D specs are different. Looks like you don't need to have HDMI 1.4 to have full 3D, but HDMI 1.4 does include 3D information as part of its spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
I consider the Samsung spec sheet is a type and was copied from one the none 3D blu-ray spec sheets. Hopefully if they don't publish the C6900 user's manual soon someone who has puchased a C6900 will let us know what it says about HDMI revison levels and output the 3D ouput formats it can output.

The Samsung C7000 user's manual clarly points out that it receives the packed BR 3D buffers over HDMI1.4
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/18293730


If all of this is true, then how is it that the new Samsung and Sony 3D players both only have 1.3, yet they both state they will send full 3D signal to the TV for playback?

Don't get hung up on the whole 1.2 / 1.3 / 1.4 version thingy of HDMI. There are only "features", which were introduced at certain revisions of the specification. A feature of a newer revision might be supported by hardware that was designed for an older revision, especially if it only involves changes in existing data formats.


The main HDMI features introduced, by revision:

1.1:

- ACP and ISRC packets (audio related meta data)

1.2:

- One Bit audio

1.3:

- Deep Color

- Extended Gamut color

- HBR audio

- auto-lipsync correction

- single link speeds above 165 MHz

1.4:

- Audio Return Channel

- Ethernet

- 4K

- 3D signalling and formats: frame packing, field alternative, line alternative, side-by-side(full and half), L+depth, L+depth+graphics

1.4a:

- 3D format top-and-bottom


You might be able to do ACP/ISRC on 1.0 hardware. You won't be able to do DeepColor or HBR on 1.2 hardware, but auto-lipsync might be possible. You won't be able to do ARC or ethernet on 1.3 hardware, but 3D and 4K might be possible.


None of the features are mandatory, though. You will find a lot of HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 devices without one-bit audio support, and not all HDMI 1.3 devices do Deep Color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
Yeah, that was kinda my point. Everyone is saying unless you have 1.4, you can't do 3D, but I don't think that's the case. I think 1.4 definitely includes 3D properties in the spec, but do you need it to display full 3D, no. That's up to the folks that came up with the blu-ray 3D spec to decide and from what I've read, they have made it backward compatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus /forum/post/18293501


Yes, that is correct. But therefore the amp will get the same frame packing video signal as the TV, only that the amp does not understand the signal and can not extract audio from the blanking area.

MIGHT be (and maybe not). The point is that it might work, and someone really won't know till they try it. Another point is that it might work with one particular set-up and not with another. It all will depend on the particular 3D display, the particular 3D source, and the particular AVR. Trying the splitter (when you can return it) is a lot cheaper than purchasing a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray (the only "sure thing" - and even that isn't so sure yet).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18294323


MIGHT be (and maybe not). The point is that it might work, and someone really won't know till they try it. Another point is that it might work with one particular set-up and not with another. It all will depend on the particular 3D display, the particular 3D source, and the particular AVR. Trying the splitter (when you can return it) is a lot cheaper than purchasing a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray (the only "sure thing" - and even that isn't so sure yet).

What "isn't so sure" about the Panasonic 3D BD players?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top