AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did some basic calculations and as per them 2325 lumens are required on 130 inch 2.35:1 screen just to get to 16 ft-Lambert mark. This means that anything but the brightest mode on the brightest of projectors shall be adequate for 3d. Which seems very very strange.

Can somebody confirm if this is correct. I will post my caclulations below however the assumptions taken are:

1. 3d is 35% as bright as 2d.

2. Also the screen area taken is not the area of the actual screen but the area to which the projector is projecting. Hence the original screen area is "6089" but the projected area is "8049".

Regards

Hussain

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not so strange. Few projectors can light up that size screen with that bright 3d. And by the way, you're underestimating the light loss in 3D, it's more like 20% remaining for a typical 3D projector.

A high gain screen like the da-lite high power is really useful to bump up your 3D brightness. Also most people and theaters run much dimmer 3D than 16 fL, commercial 3D is often in the 2-4 fL range iirc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Even 20% remaining would be very good, in fact it is even more depending on the length of the blanking cycle which cannot be too short with LCOS/LCD projectors. Most people would cheer up if they had 8 fl in 3D.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this calculation as i am in process of buying a projector for my dedicated home theatre with no windows at all.

What i would like to know is that are you guys running projectors in "best calibrated modes" which are about 670 lum for epson and 950 lum for sony hw55es (the best i have seen) or are you running them in the brightest mode.

What is acceptable FL level which still "wow" one with 3d.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I run my X35 calibrated in 3D in low lamp mode on a 2.63 m wide screen with 2.4 gain. Should give around 600 lumens (short throw) and 5-7 fL off the screens. This looks good, though I prefer the image brighter using the high lamp mode (900 lumens). However then the fan is too loud for my liking.

Bright 3D is really difficult unless you use an only moderately sized screen with a high gain.

I have a 3.22 m wide 1.1 gain screen plus a 2.63 m wide 2.4 gain drop down screen in front of that one for 2D/3D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts