AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I constantly see terrible ghosting at the theaters that have 3d(all use passive glasses). I think it was coming fromt he left eye. Left eye closed and I couldn't see ghosting. Right eye closed or both open and I saw very bad redish ghosts to the left of everything. I notice it much much less on plasmas. I thought they used 2 projectors or something so they shouldn't have problem with speed/ghosting?

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
They are most likely using one projector due to the costly transition for cinemas to convert to digital.

There are about 4 different 3D systems being used in the commercial cinemas at this time and all have different caricaturists. I am sure if you saw this same movie across the different 3D platforms you might see the ghosting disappear. There are other parameters that may contribute to the ghosting that are not the fault of the 3D platform being used.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Polarised presentation with distinct red ghosting.

It seems to indicate a single projector (probably single chip DLP) with a polarisation modulator (RealD or Masterimage).

The red ghosting would indicate a synchronisation problem between the projector and the polarisation modulator, the modulator switches the polarisation too late : the projector is already starting to show the red sector of the next eye view when the modulator has not finished switching eye views.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D using a Sony 4K LCOS projector. It was the worst presentation I've yet to see in a commercial theater: dim, panel registration errors, simply painful to watch.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara /forum/post/19564027

I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D using a Sony 4K LCOS projector. It was the worst presentation I've yet to see in a commercial theater: dim, panel registration errors, simply painful to watch.

Don't expect much from Sony 4k regarding 3D.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Interesting because I went with a few friends to see Jackass 3D and that was presented on a 4k Sony. Was the best and brightest 3D I've seen. Could cgi look worse on it than live action? It was the first time seeing 4k too so maybe I was just excited to see it lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.