AVS Forum banner

3D Autostereoscopic Displays - Is That the Answer?

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Lee Stewart 
#1 ·
One of the other 3D oriented threads has had quite a discussion of so-called "Glassless 3D Displays". The point was brought up that this topic deserves a thread of it's own. So here it is.

Here is one of the links from that thread (thanks Lee) that lists a lot of the "players" in this area.

http://www.3dcgi.com/cooltech/displa...e-displays.htm

Sounds great - BUT??????

What are your thoughts.

#2 ·
An emerging technology that is going to takes years to perfect.

There are so many different issues associated with Auto 3D:

1. Resolution of the images you see. Today - what was shown at CES 2010 - a bit better than DVD resolution.

2. Being able to watch either 2D or 3D like todays 3DTVs will allow.

3. The number of views needed so that moving your head will not collapse the 3D affect. Most are in the 9 view range (Stereoscopic 3D has 2 views = L & R) - it isn't enough. This coming week, an Asian company will show a 27" Auto 3D display with 64 views at CeBit (Germany) which starts this coming week. I will post whatever they announce in this thread.

4. Cost - frightfully expensive.

PS: Thanks for the mention

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18223775

2. Being able to watch either 2D or 3D like todays 3DTVs will allow.

The Phillips one could couldn't it?
Quote:
Philips' WOWvx allows 2D and 3D viewing on a single display. By detecting the content type, a soft switch makes a seamless transition between the two viewing modes. In 3D mode, each lens in the display bends the light in several directions, generating a 3D image. For displaying 2D content the lens effect can be eliminated by...
http://www.3d4you.eu/images/PDFs/ste...background.pdf

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /forum/post/18225422

The Phillips one could couldn't it?

http://www.3d4you.eu/images/PDFs/ste...background.pdf

That Auto 3D has been discontinued and Phillips pulled the plug on their Auto 3D R & D.

I see it says it can do both 2D and 3D. Anyone ever see a demo? Most of the current Auto 3D displays don't do both.

The cost of that Auto 3D was $9000. I wouldn't call that a consumer priced product for that size of a display.

#9 ·
I was very interested in seeing glasses free 3D at CES. I was sorely disappointed at the results. If you click the link above, one of the manufacturers says it will be used for "signage." In other words, the picture is really sucky, but the effect is just good enough to where you could put a display in a mall and it would get people's attention. The screen is divided into sections using a lenticular lens. The content on the screen is multiple versions of the same subject shot at slightly different angles. Because the subject is repeated, the picture is low rez and if you're not lined up exactly with one of the angles, a blurry mess. However, when you are lined up, it looks OK, and when you walk by it or change you're point of view, the video changes with you--also impressive. Again, it will be just good enough to get peoples' attention for advertising, but nowhere near the way you would want to watch a movie. And of course the big caveat is that it's not compatible with today's HD video standard. I'm convinced that it will be many years before we see glasses free 3D in the home. The above approach could work perhaps if you could start with a 4K resolution picture before dividing up the screen. We all want 3D holographic displays that you could actually walk around someday as well, but again, these technologies are totally incompatible with what we have now.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 /forum/post/18225974

And of course the big caveat is that it's not compatible with today's HD video standard. I'm convinced that it will be many years before we see glasses free 3D in the home. The above approach could work perhaps if you could start with a 4K resolution picture before dividing up the screen. We all want 3D holographic displays that you could actually walk around someday as well, but again, these technologies are totally incompatible with what we have now.

It can be converted to the format they use - ie. they can convert 2D to their format or stereoscopic to their format (not necessarily in very good quality but at least it can) or much better - any 3D CGI film if they have access to all the original full 3d (not just stereoscopic) data.

#13 ·
I produce photographic quality autostereoscopic prints and that requires about 1,000 vertical lines of resolution PER INCH along with twelve 21 megapixel high end cameras to produce the content. Video monitors are going to need at least four times their current resolution to be in the ball park of quality. Of course this only provides for left/right 3D and no vertical information. The cool tech coming is microdot lens material used in conjunction with plenoptic cameras with millions of lenses. This has great potential but perhaps 10 years off. In the meantime, I think shutter glasses or polarized passive glasses are going to dominate and the autosterescopic monitors won't get much traction because they aren't good enough.

-almont green

Do a search and find my blog where I go into a lot of detail about 3D multiperspective photography. There is a lot involved in making it work. The display tech is actually the easy part ;^)

#14 ·
Nintendo Tips Hand On Plans For 3D DS System

Quote:
Tokyo - Nintendo announced here this week that it has developed version of its popular DS handheld game player that supports 3D without the need for special glasses.

The Nintendo 3DS will use two screens and will be backward compatible with current DS and DSi games, the company said here Tuesday.
http://www.twice.com/article/450598-..._DS_System.php

Autostereoscopic 3D!

#15 ·
re: Nintendo DS

In a way it is going to be misleading to people because the DS tech will rely on the user being basically stationary in space in relation to the screen. People will see that and say "why can't they make a big TV out of this technology so we don't need glasses?" but of course it doesn't work for multiple viewers at different angles.

This whole 3D arena is going to be hard to educate the general public on why it can't be done with their existing TVs because when they go to the movies it just looks like a big TV with a blurry picture and they put on some funny sunglasses and voila, you've got 3D!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoEyeVideo /forum/post/18231092

This has great potential but perhaps 10 years off. In the meantime, I think shutter glasses or polarized passive glasses are going to dominate and the autosterescopic monitors won't get much traction because they aren't good enough.

Agree.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer /forum/post/18364681

Seems like it'll be years and years off. But still, Id be surprised if someone doesnt try to come out with a mainstream solution within a couple years.

You never know what type of conversion processes these companies come up with.
http://gizmodo.com/5441710/toshiba-c...-3d-conversion

Both Samsung and Sony are/will offer that.

Autostereoscopic 3D display present 3D with no glasses

How they work:

http://www.3d-forums.com/autostereos...splays-t1.html

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18364876

Both Samsung and Sony are/will offer that.

Yeah but like the Toshiba, you still need glasses.

Quote:
Autostereoscopic 3D display present 3D with no glasses

How they work:

http://www.3d-forums.com/autostereos...splays-t1.html

Yes I know, I was talking about the possibility of a an autostereocopic display incorporating processes that convert 2D to 3D, different 3D formats etc.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer /forum/post/18364938

Yeah but like the Toshiba, you still need glasses.

You lost me - this is a thread on Auto 3D. Why show the Toshiba Cell TV? It isn't an Auto 3D display

Quote:
Yes I know, I was talking about the possibility of a an autostereocopic display incorporating processes that convert 2D to 3D, different 3D formats etc.

LOL - let's see one do 3D properly first. BTW - all the Auto 3D displays are based on 2D to 3D conversion. They all need a PC attached to them to create the multiple views using special software sold by the Auto 3D display manufacturer.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18364972

You lost me - this is a thread on Auto 3D. Why show the Toshiba Cell TV? It isn't an Auto 3D display

I was pointing out the automatic 2d>3d conversion process and whether something like it could be possible with an auto 3d display(in realtime)

Quote:
LOL - let's see one do 3D properly first. BTW - all the Auto 3D displays are based on 2D to 3D conversion. They all need a PC attached to them to create the multiple views using special software sold by the Auto 3D display manufacturer.

Yeah current auto 3d displays. I thought it was pretty obvious I was speculating about the future.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer /forum/post/18365021

I was pointing out the automatic 2d>3d conversion process and whether something like it could be possible with an auto 3d display(in realtime)

Yeah current auto 3d displays. I thought it was pretty obvious I was speculating about the future.

Not that difficult. Much harder to get the resolution up to where S3D is today, then it is to do 2D to 3D on the fly. Just need BIG buffers and LOTS of processing power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.