AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I hadn't had a nice, responsive email back mid Jan from a management or sales person about their "VideoEFX" unit (now VEFXi), this would not catch my eye so much now thinking great 2D>3D processing performance. 3D-Bee is an odd sounding name and not knowing why the "Bee".

But because he was genuinely excited about how good this product had been received at CES and how industry people from Cable and Broadcasting were coming by and being excited by what they were seeing....it really has been on my radar. I thought I would be able to make great use of it with at that time a just purchased JVC RS50 that was coming.

Initially at least I won't buy any of the versions of 3D-Bee just to process 2D Bluray but I have a hunch this is going to be a pretty good and surprising product at not prohibitive pricing. Maybe certainly by the mid level and professional models with more settings. It will be interesting hearing the reports from people who purchase and how it does with OTA, Cable and Satellite feeds.

Nobody is expecting Teranex....but some really good conversion at reasonable prices would be great for the 3D junkies here I have been enjoying hearing from. From what he said at that time, their hardware runs with all hardwired logic rather than code running on processors. That creates a number of significant real time benefits according to what he was explaining.

http://3d-bee.com/store/

·
Registered
60 Posts
wish they were less expensive but compared to a lot of audiophile toys they aren't.. will the "trainer" with its field sequential work with a Vizio E3D420VX? - or would the home unit be better? I like the idea of more depth settings - fwiw I've grown fond of the Monoprice 3D creator for what it does vs cost - -- (ordered a "home" sure hope its good! - in one of their blogs they need to dump the "bumbling" thing - that doesn't inspire confidence - lol)

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are not selling internationally at the moment so can't get one but would be interested in reports from those that do get it.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
There aren't two many ways to create 3D from 2D. One being interpolating near objects, those below center as being close to the screen and far objects, those being above center as being away from the screen. It works best for camera angles that are from a standing position. But if people are standing in the scene, their legs look closer than their upper bodies, making for a weird look. Another method is to interpolate moving objects or camera movement by delaying one eye by a few frames from the other. This requires either the camera to move or objects in a scene. This is the best 3D as it retains the 3D offset for each eye. Of course the final interpolation can be a combination of the above too. The second is based on the Pilfrich effect--and can be seen by taking one lens out of a pair of sunglasses and watching TV. You will notice 3D as long as the movement is in one direction. The lens needs to be switched to the other eye for the other direction. And finally, a simple implementation is to make the 2D scene seem to float in the air either behind or in front of the screen window. There a lots of implementations of 2D-3D in software that's readily available and in some blu-ray players. Some good, some so-so. Make sure you get a good return policy before buying this thing...

·
Registered
60 Posts
hope it has a good return policy and warranty as I pushed the button on that last post - - There' was one old patent which I thought might relate to it in principle. The Bee is claimed to generate a depth map and will work with stills - so would that be "2D-plus"? My BDR310's built=in processor isn't working right and stutters badly.

Sato

http://www.google.com.tw/patents?id=...page&q&f=false

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyi /forum/post/20892612

hope it has a good return policy and warranty as I pushed the button on that last post - - There' was one old patent which I thought might relate to it in principle. The Bee is claimed to generate a depth map and will work with stills - so would that be "2D-plus"? My BDR310's built=in processor isn't working right and stutters badly.

Sato

http://www.google.com.tw/patents?id=...page&q&f=false

Hope you get a good return policy. There is always the chance that it might work well, so let's give it a chance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
-spoke briefly via phone with VeFxi's Craig Peterson - very nice guy - their factory shipment is scheduled to arrive next Friday and units ship out the following Monday. I'm tempted to get the Trainer (if can trade + difference?) as if I understood correctly it can output both side by side and frame sequential and have more depth flexibility. Depth map levels of the Bee are 65536 vs 256 on some other units.

my BDT310's internal 2D ->"3D" converter must be defective - the frames snagged on dvd and it appeared to oscillate with a blu-ray - other functions seem flawless and it works well with the Monoprice unit

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/20898311

If you looking for a bluray that does 3D and 2D-3D check this out--my next buy.

Panasonic DMP-BDT210

The Panny 210 is an outstanding BR player and I'm very happy with mine but......IMHO the 2D to 3D conversion is useless.
I've tried it on multiple blurays and multiple 3D settings. Not worth fooling with, again--MY opinion. It does add some depth but the picture is very dark and regular ol' 2D looks MUCH better. 3D from a 3D Bluray on my Mits 73" DLP is great!

Ed

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The 3D packed buffer format from a 3D BR player is a 1920x2205 buffer containing a left and a right 1080p/24 field.

1080i 3D from cable or satellite standard programs is 1080i/60 whch converts to 1080p/30 per eye.

·
Registered
60 Posts
got the Bee - but before any evaluation, got a problem between BDT-310 and E3D-420VX in getting correct aspect ratio. Without any converter in place movies tend to look squished down in height - its that way on the 2D Blu-Ray of Drive Angry and Young Frankenstein Blu-Ray. I tried the various setting on E3D420 and nothing looked quite right. What am I doing wrong? - guess will feed it a dvd and see if that's better

·
Registered
60 Posts
@pheggie

in a small room I sit about 5 feet from a Vizio E3D420VX- source is BDT310 - disc = remastered "Young Frankenstein" and looking at minute or so at the monster's capture (when "Puttin' OnThe Ritz" goes bad. My brief impression of the 2D presentation vs the 3D Bee is mixed. In 2D this blu-ray disc in places has quite a bit of contrast and almost looks like its been shot in good video-tape and seems to impart a tinge of sepia color and a lot of skin textures in close-ups - turning on the 3D Bee and TV to SBS softens some detail/grain and seems to remove the sepia tone leaving it looking closer to standard black and white. I did try adjusting brightness and contrast to adjust for some of the polarized glasses losses.

The 3D effect is "soft" and less obvious and perhaps more homogenized than the Monoprice unit which seemed to add some edginess.

I'd like to know whether Vefxi's product with more Z- depth could be more pleasing or not in a close up viewing setting. In general Z- has more depth and a better look than the Z+ setting. It will be interesting to hear your impressions of the added Z- and Z+ settings.

Its almost like the 3D effect on Vefxi's 3D Bee "Home" unit is intended to be "non-obtrusive" rather than stand out in layers and I'll have to view more movies to get a better feel of its strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 3d-Bee trainers extra Z depth settings don't make much difference other than more

in or out of the screen. The Depth is more natural than the monoprice and also

3d-Bee works at 1080i. I'll be using the 3d-Bee more than the monoprice from now on.

Football looks better on the 3d-Bee.

The picture on the 3d-Bee has no artifacts unlike the Monoprice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 3D Bee is very smooth and capable - one way to check is to run slideshows of stills at Picassa, etc. (I'm pulling those in via BDT310's VieraCast) Some types of still images don't generate much 3D effect - others do. There's no edginess or visible noise added. (I'll have to patch in the Monoprice unit to see how it handles stills)

do the additional Z- settings on your 3D-Bee Trainer model increase the overall feel of front to back depth vs the standard settings on the Home unit? - or do they tend to move everything "back"? (I long for a bit more depth)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 3d-bee trainer extra z settings do add some more depth both out of or deep in but it does depend on the content some scenes work much better than others. The deepest settings don't look as natural with some scenes that work well with the standard settings

·
Registered
60 Posts
hi pheggie - -thanks, sometimes with action movies I might like the added depth of the trainer - -are you seeing patterns towards which types of image/scenes/lighting work best with Vefxi's depth mapping technique? - any favorite movies so far? (I've got to sit down & go through some new/old dvds)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about its quality of effect with any relatively current blockbuster film with super 2D quality such as....Avatar or any of the other 5 star rated bluray transfers?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts