AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my setup:

PS3 >> 3' HDMI 1.4 cable >> Yamaha YHT-393BL receiver >> 25' HDMI 1.3 cable >> Optoma 3D-XL adapter >> Optoma HD66 projector

Also coming in to the receiver are HDMI inputs from the Comcast cable box and my PC.

3D PS3 games work great, 3D videos downloaded from PSN also work, as well as side-by-side and top/bottom format 3D movies from Comcast. However, I'm having problems trying to play a 3D Blu Ray on the PS3 (Nightmare before Christmas). This is the first 3D Blu Ray disc I've tried.

After inserting the 3D Blu Ray disc I see the initial 2D screen with Disney logo, and the projector shows the input source as 1080p 24hz 2D, but when the image switches to 3D the projector screen goes black and stays that way. The projector source message then just keeps alternating between "searching" and "found 720p 60hz" but the display stays black.

My first thought was that I needed to upgrade the long HDMI cable to a 1.4. However, if I bypass the receiver and connect the HDMI 1.3 cable directly from the PS3 to the 3D-XL, the 3D Blu Ray plays with no problems.

Any ideas what I'm missing here or which component in the problem here? The receiver is supposed to be HDMI 1.4 and 3D compatible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot_savant /forum/post/20899908

Here is my setup:

PS3 >> 3' HDMI 1.4 cable >> Yamaha YHT-393BL receiver >> 25' HDMI 1.3 cable >> Optoma 3D-XL adapter >> Optoma HD66 projector

Also coming in to the receiver are HDMI inputs from the Comcast cable box and my PC.

3D PS3 games work great, 3D videos downloaded from PSN also work, as well as side-by-side and top/bottom format 3D movies from Comcast. However, I'm having problems trying to play a 3D Blu Ray on the PS3 (Nightmare before Christmas). This is the first 3D Blu Ray disc I've tried.

After inserting the 3D Blu Ray disc I see the initial 2D screen with Disney logo, and the projector shows the input source as 1080p 24hz 2D, but when the image switches to 3D the projector screen goes black and stays that way. The projector source message then just keeps alternating between "searching" and "found 720p 60hz" but the display stays black.

My first thought was that I needed to upgrade the long HDMI cable to a 1.4. However, if I bypass the receiver and connect the HDMI 1.3 cable directly from the PS3 to the 3D-XL, the 3D Blu Ray plays with no problems.

Any ideas what I'm missing here or which component in the problem here? The receiver is supposed to be HDMI 1.4 and 3D compatible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Try going through the PS3 redection process when it is done it should give you a message something like "can you read this?". There should also be a listing of the 3D resolutions it detected I believe. Not an owner but have seen others comments when adding 3D converters.

Here's someones notes if you haven't already tried:

"Works every time for me! PS3 needs the latest firmware to output Bluray 3D. Then you have to run the auto config. Don't do it manually. You know you did it right when it says you have a 3D display and to set the screen size which is for 3D game playing. Set your audio up the way you want it too output. You should not have to use the mode button and especially not if you have Directv. Everything is auto switched. I am running my PS3 through a DVDO Duo and it works great."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some searching and found, since this is an older model AV receiver, a firmware update is required to add 3D passthrough capability.

Being an older model, there's no USB, wireless, or ethernet capabilty to update the firmware, so I have to burn it to an audio CD, and run the update from a CD or DVD player. I'll try that out later and hopefully that will solve the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.