AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Panasonic 3D TV, and a an Oppo 93 blue ray 3D DVD player, and want to connect to my older Onkyo TX-SR803 receiver, which has HDMI 1.1 switching. I know the receiver switching via HDMI will not work for video , so I plan to run the video from the Cable box and Oppo directly to the TV. I have a question about the audio. My audio sources will be a Verizon FIOS Motorola 7216-1, and the OPPO, (which can do all audio decoding internally). Can the receiver HDMI 1.1 handle the 5.1 or newer audio formats from the OPPO player, since it will output PCM internally? I currently use optical out for the cable box and older Oppo player. Am I correct in assuming that HDMI 1.1 will handle audio just fine if I use HDMI cables for audio? I don't want to get a new receiver unless it is necessary. Fortunately the OPPO 93 permits using one HDMI port to audio, and another to video. I assume the cable box does not output audio formats that the receiver cannot handle now. I hope there are no handshake issues with the older receiver.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
You are good to go with what you have. That cable box will max out with Dolby Digital because thats as high as they go up the chain.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Just make sure the receiver can play HDMI audio (I say this because you say HDMI 1.1 switching, which implies otherwise - I know nothing about the receiver.)

·
Registered
28,722 Posts
The Onkyo 803 does handle HDMI audio. Doesn't decode TrueHD or DTS-MA but his Oppo can do that for him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your comments. Is there a likelyhood of lip sync issues if the audio goes to the receiver, and the video directly to the TV? I dint remember idf the SR 803 has lip sync settings.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

The Onkyo 803 does handle HDMI audio. Doesn't decode TrueHD or DTS-MA but his Oppo can do that for him.

Can it handle the 7.1 LPCM and/or standard DTS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The receiver will handle various DTS/DTS96/24 and PCM from 32kHz to 96kHz. There are a lot of exceptions to the mode depending in input and output modes. You need a Phd in audio (or I do) to understand all the permutations and connections. It would be interesting to select various modes, and see if I can tell the difference. At my age, I bet I can't hear very high frequencies anyway. I can hear more high frequencies using good headphones than I can in the room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts