AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to redo my HTPC setup.. i'm moving away from a big bulky q-pack case to a more streamlined solution. I'm also hoping to make this one a bit more quiet as well as power efficient, while being able to still do bitstreaming of HD audio from network streamed bluray content or blurays that i put in the drive which will be in this HTPC setup.

I also have a Samsung HLT-6187S tv set, which is capable of 3D bluray. So i'm assuming all i need to make that work is the software I use and already have, TMT V5, which has 3D bluray support, coupled with any bluray reader for this PC..

I dont think that i will ever do any gaming on this box, unlike my previous plans, which i never even did much, so i'm thinking of just utilizing the On chip graphics ability of the i3 processor, while hopefully keeping the total cost around $450 max.

Parts i have on hand that i wont need to buy, would be the two 500GB harddrives.. I already use HD Homerun for TV recording, but i hope to add a cable card later on.. as of now they are $399, thats a bit steep. I also have 2GB of DDR3 ECC memory (1066) which should be fine as well. Ill shelve the geforce 9800GT for now as well. All these parts are full size bracket type for what i have.

So here is what i came up with:

Case:

$99 shipped SilverStone GD05 (3.7" high or 4.25" with feet, by 17.1" wide by 14.9 deep)

Motherboard:

$110 shipped Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 (the asus i looked at had issues with the nic card dying). H55 Chipset

CPU:

$99 i3-530 2.9ghz lga 1156 with stock cooling fan and onboard Intel HD graphics

Ram, see above (2GB for now)

PSU:

$59 Coolmaster silent 600watt RS-600-AMBA-D3

BDROM:

$87 Samsung SH-B123L 12x drive

Total cost: $454

The silverstone case had great reviews, though its vertical height was a bit higher than i had hoped for. I guess if if i didnt think i'd ever add a full size card into the unit in the future, i could opt for an Antec Fusion or Lian Li PC-C37 though there were "issues" in some of the reviews even with those and i think i couldnt use the standard PSU and it would add cost. It probably wont matter on height because i'm going to sell my old Bluray stand alone player after this.

Any thoughts on the setup?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/19557284

He has TMT 5 but I dont think the integrated Intel graphics will cut it for 3D BD.

Is this the case since with my TV being 3d capable.. or Do i just need a beefier 3d card, (not necessarily 3d capable itself), such as the one i had in the old setup, the geforce 9800GT..?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Parts look pretty good!

I would use one of the 500GB drives and buy a larger 2TB drive tomorrow as it appears your space is limited for hard drive bays (unless you have other arrangements for storage).

You might want to consider a SSD for the OS as well if there is a screaming deal on one tomorrow - looks like that case has one 2.5" bay.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19557317

Parts look pretty good!

I would use one of the 500GB drives and buy a larger 2TB drive tomorrow as it appears your space is limited for hard drive bays (unless you have other arrangements for storage).

You might want to consider a SSD for the OS as well if there is a screaming deal on one tomorrow - looks like that case has one 2.5" bay.

Thanks, yeah i was considering SSD, especially for quick boot times, though i tend to leave this box on 24/7.. What size drive did you see a deal on for tomorrow? I'd still like to cap the cost right where it is though.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/19557330

I'd still like to cap the cost right where it is though.

That's going to be hard to do then.

And I agree that this machine likely won't be able to play 3D with the i3 GPU - although admittedly I am a bit out of my element here as I have never built a 3D HTPC.

If your budget is limited I would concentrate on building the best HTPC you can now and upgrade the GPU to 3D capable in the future.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19557373

That's going to be hard to do then.

And I agree that this machine likely won't be able to play 3D with the i3 GPU - although admittedly I am a bit out of my element here as I have never built a 3D HTPC.

If your budget is limited I would concentrate on building the best HTPC you can now and upgrade the GPU to 3D capable in the future.

I wonder if it will be more processor dependent or gpu.. i could jump up to an i5.. (it can even do i7).. and i always have that geforce 9800 lying around if it is bad too.. I'm pretty sure it will be using the tridef drivers or i3d i think is the name of the alternative.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/19557478

I wonder if it will be more processor dependent or gpu.. i could jump up to an i5.. (it can even do i7).. and i always have that geforce 9800 lying around if it is bad too.. I'm pretty sure it will be using the tridef drivers or i3d i think is the name of the alternative.

Interesting.

I did a quick search and it appears that an i3 should be capable. The ASRock Vision 3D uses an i3.

I think you will need to make sure that you have a 3D capable video card. I'm not sure if 2GB is enough for 3D material.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19557567

Interesting.

I did a quick search and it appears that an i3 should be capable. The ASRock Vision 3D uses an i3.

I think you will need to make sure that you have a 3D capable video card. I'm not sure if 2GB is enough for 3D material.

I did some more digging too, based on this.. it sounds as if i will be ok 3d wise with the tridef or iz3d drivers..

I think i'm going to go for the i3-540 though.. its $4 more than the 530 today only:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=BX80616I3540

I'm also going to opt for the asus P7H55-M Pro board instead, there were video and boot issues i hadnt realized with the gigabyte, probably more serious than getting an asus with a bad nic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-623-_-Product

1 - 10 of 10 Posts