AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any new devices for watching 3D on 2D televisions?

One thing that I read about today that piqued my curiosity, is that there are newer forms of anaglyph 3D which do not distort the color palette so much.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm surprised there are no responses to this thread, given the fact that no new televisions support 3D. Any kind of device that would permit that would seem pretty attractive.

Anaglyph 3D, which uses color filters, is probably the easiest retrofit, and my recent reading suggests that there are combinations of colors and lenses that can render an image not only in 3D, but fairly well color balanced.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
There have been several 3D interlaced converters in the past 10 years. All of which suffered from flickering because most 2D TVs were 60 hz and it really requires a 120hz scanned image to work 60hz for each eye (or 60 frames a second per eye). But even that wasn't good because of the need for more brightness, which few TVs could handle.

Anaglyph suffers from brightness as well, even with better color combinations used in glasses.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, Bob.

Has the equation changed regarding brightness now that TVs are capable of HDR?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Thanks for the response, Bob.

Has the equation changed regarding brightness now that TVs are capable of HDR?
While HDR would be brighter, most people are losing interest in 3D, so the few of us left are mostly into projection TVs with 3D now, OR, have bought TVs built before 2017. The end of 3D TVs was 2016.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm surprised there are no responses to this thread, given the fact that no new televisions support 3D. Any kind of device that would permit that would seem pretty attractive.

Anaglyph 3D, which uses color filters, is probably the easiest retrofit, and my recent reading suggests that there are combinations of colors and lenses that can render an image not only in 3D, but fairly well color balanced.
Probably Dolby 3D is what you'd be looking for along with Infitec. However it most likely would require specific 4K TV's with special colour filters to produce the same effect, but then again manufacturers would opt to use FPR (Passive 3D) instead. Projectors would require 2x with the filters in front from what I read, think there was a few options that would also introduce the Passive 3D effect with twin projectors as well. 3D filters obviously reduce light output, so these were dropped in favour of HDR to get brighter output I believe. TV wise if the 120 Hz inputs of latest TV's can be reliably synced and truly outputting 120 Hz in theory you could handle Active 3D as a retrofit I expect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts