AVS Forum banner

How do you feel about the safety of 3D

• 3D has inadequate research ,don't allow it till it has been proven safe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3D has been around long enough without significant issues therefore lets have it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have specific concerns so limit it's use initially (post specifics)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering ,since the other thread was closed , how folks feel about the physical effects of 3D.

It appears there are some who believe that it shouldn't be allowed in the home believing we don't know enough about it while others feel that since it has been around in theaters,museums and industry for a long time that it seems to be relatively safe so we should proceed.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Historically, it's been safe in young children at exposure rates on the order of hours per month i.e. 1-2 full length movies/mos. If you want to be safe based on what data is currently available, then that's your ballpark exposure rate for young children until more is known.

For adults, I think it's like the daytime speed limit in Montana, "reasonable and prudent".

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I think this is a legitmate concern, because while 3D has been around for a LONG time, and this isn't anything new, having 3D tv's at home is pretty new, and most people are exposed to 3D for very short durations. What's going to happen when humans are exposed to 3D for much longer durations on a daily basis?

I would think you'll find out first with the hardcore gamers. I wonder if any studies have been done on gamers who play Stereoscopic 3D on a daily basis, for many hours per day. Stereoscopic gaming on PC has been around for awhile, and there is a sub-group of people who are really into it. Somebody should have done a study on these people to see if any adverse affects have come to light.

With Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi and all the other TV manufacturers jumping on this bandwagon, you'd think that they would have had to done their research on long term effects. Otherwise, they could be looking at a Toyota situation. I'm guessing they've done their homework, but ya never know....

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I think if there are effects it will be much more difficult to prove than the situation with Toyota. Also, the car industry has a history of taking some responsibility for what it manufactures. There is really little president for this in the electronic and entertainment industry.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'd bet more than a few gamers have tested this for long exposure at a time and with what would seem to many over the top frequency.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Constant on/off of the left/right eye sure seems mighty unnatural on the eyes and brain. I would like to find some long term studies on this.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
How about changing the third choice to "3D is still new to mass media. Continue testing to determine the long-term effects on users, particularly children."

I doubt that anyone here wants to ban 3D until it is "proven" safe. There are, however, plenty of people here who are convinced that they already have all the answers.

While you're at it, please check your punctuation and usage on all the existing voter choices. They're all incorrect.

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18305671

How about changing the third choice to "3D is still new to mass media. Continue testing to determine the long-term effects on users, particularly children."

Why ? The poll gives the choice that you have specific concerns certainly that choice fits youir point.

And besides if you say that test to determine long term effects how could you do that as a specific point without holding on it's release ? Otherwise it's going to happen through mass adoption anyway.

Art

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey /forum/post/18304541

Constant on/off of the left/right eye sure seems mighty unnatural on the eyes and brain. I would like to find some long term studies on this.

The whole idea of 60Hz looking like continuous images is pretty strange too. pretty amazing really.

Art

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmreedjr /forum/post/18301295

It will be in my home within 12 months, and my 4 year old granddaughter can watch it if she wants.

This is what Samsung says in their new 3D TV user guide:

"Please refrain from letting your children aged 6 or under watch 3D pictures"

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke /forum/post/18305881

This is what Samsung says in their new 3D TV user guide:

"Please refrain from letting your children aged 6 or under watch 3D pictures"

Bravo Samsung.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The poll is not specific, are we talking physical or mental effects?

If physical, are we talking about shutter-glasses 3d only? I don't think there would be any effects from polarized or auto-stereoscopic (when they get here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/18306323

CYA

Art

lol

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark /forum/post/18306811

The poll is not specific, are we talking physical or mental effects?

If physical, are we talking about shutter-glasses 3d only? I don't think there would be any effects from polarized or auto-stereoscopic (when they get here).

I do. They have some of the same problems stereoscopic 3d with shutter glasses have, that have been described in these threads.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase /forum/post/18307294

The "poll" is useless. There is no intent to find out anything.

Maybe, but it's interesting that even with a sample presumably heavily biased towards 3D tv, 13 percent (at this point) admit there is at least some reason for concern/caution.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts